Earl Thomas trade discussions centered around pick 50

Proof

Reaction score
No...you can't. The objective is to take advantage of your best players primes. You have probably a 5 year window right now if that. You can't keep trying to build through the draft...by the time those players develop into Pro Bowlers....its time to either pay them or its time for them to leave this team or league.

On top of that, we have our QB and likely wouldn't find another @ pick 50, and we have a franchise LT and a rack of DE's.

Blitzen

Reaction score
And the Cowboys believe they have that franchise qb.

Perhaps, but they haven't given him a new contract. All bets are off if he has a terrible season. They are trying to help him, but if they miss on him (and give him a huge contract) it will be a decade window of losing for the Cowboys. Make sure and then make your moves.

conner01

Reaction score
If we plan on TRADING for ET with that 50th pick...first,I HATE IT...but..what I would do is trade down from 19 to like 24..or later..grab another 3rd..then the loss of that 50th pick doesn't sting as bad.
Send some Johnny Walker to Cleveland and trade 19 for there picks in the second rnd

mschmidt64

Reaction score
Hate giving up a second. Would much rather a third.

If we do this, I probably trade down from 19.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I'm not against that at all. But on the other end of the coin.....what if you get another Demarcus Lawrence or Chido or Sean Lee? Jaylon Smith and Gavin Escobar seem to represent what the Cowboys do in the 2nd round.....but they have found some solid guys there.

The hits have been better than solid and if you are hitting half of your second round picks you are ahead of the curve.

I don't think that 50% success rate and $8m in cap space is worth ET. A third is where the value is.

Blitzen

Reaction score
On top of that, we have our QB and likely wouldn't find another @ pick 50, and we have a franchise LT and a rack of DE's.

They have a QB, and hopefully the Qb. This time next year is when to judge (and no injury excuses-execute well and get the big contract otherwise bye). We have a franchise LT, but if they draft a tackle at 19 overall that lets you know that they are worried about his health. We have some DE's (two of which rush best from the SDE position). None that are elite rushing from the other side (no elite speed rushers). We shall see.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
They key takeaway I get from this is Seattle is moving once again. They wanted a first and third just yesterday. I play hardball and firm on the third. It's fair and better than anything else they can get.

Billyd

Reaction score
No way would i make this deal..

1. Earl missed 7 games over the last two years..
2. His stats are inconsistent now, he looks like he is breaking down..
3. WHAT, would you get? EARL has had 100 tackles in a season once..4 years ago..
4. it does look like he is still intercepting the ball but at only two ints a year..
5. He is not worth 8 mil a year, and really wont be in a year either.
6.This is a lose win deal, and these releases are speculative at best.. We are not giving up a two on a diminishing safety. PERIOD!

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Perhaps, but they haven't given him a new contract. All bets are off if he has a terrible season. They are trying to help him, but if they miss on him (and give him a huge contract) it will be a decade window of losing for the Cowboys. Make sure and then make your moves.

Not really. The main concern is that he ages poorly and falls off a cliff. Really good S have a history of playing well into their 30s though. Lott, Lynch, Woodson, and Reed all did. He is of that caliber of player.

The contract would tie us to him for 2 more years and then he could be cut. The Cowboys don't have many bad contracts anymore now that Dez is gone. Given the amounts guys sign for nowadays Crawfords $8m salary isn't all that bad.

Proof

Reaction score
They have a QB, and hopefully the Qb. This time next year is when to judge (and no injury excuses-execute well and get the big contract otherwise bye). We have a franchise LT, but if they draft a tackle at 19 overall that lets you know that they are worried about his health. We have some DE's (two of which rush best from the SDE position). None that are elite rushing from the other side (no elite speed rushers). We shall see.

Yeah I actually meant to qualify the qb part, but the point remains the same. They're not devoid of talent in the money areas. I do agree, I just think this opportunity isn't really hard to justify

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
No way would i make this deal..

1. Earl missed 7 games over the last two years..
2. His stats are inconsistent now, he looks like he is breaking down..
3. WHAT, would you get? EARL has had 100 tackles in a season once..4 years ago..
4. it does look like he is still intercepting the ball but at only two ints a year..
5. He is not worth 8 mil a year, and really wont be in a year either.
6.This is a lose win deal, and these releases are speculative at best.. We are not giving up a two on a diminishing safety. PERIOD!

He broke his leg last year and the type of injuries he has had like hamstrings and broken bones are not predictive of further injury. It's not like he has a degenerative condition like a shredded meniscus or chronic tendinitis.

Those injuries impacted his production but for all the assertions of those against the deal there have been no reports of him looking like he had lost a step in TC or the like.

You acknowledge that he still gets picks but overall using statlines for DBs is a piss poor method of evaluating them. If that is all that you get it tells me you have not watched him much to talk about his play.

dreghorn2

Original Zoner (he's a good boy!)
Reaction score
He chased our coach down the tunnel and was recorded saying 'come get me' following a game last season.

How do you think that's playing with his teammates, management and fans in the Seattle area.

If we drop a 2nd on him we are literally the worst negotiators in the league.

Blitzen

Reaction score
Not really. The main concern is that he ages poorly and falls off a cliff. Really good S have a history of playing well into their 30s though. Lott, Lynch, Woodson, and Reed all did. He is of that caliber of player.

The contract would tie us to him for 2 more years and then he could be cut. The Cowboys don't have many bad contracts anymore now that Dez is gone. Given the amounts guys sign for nowadays Crawfords $8m salary isn't all that bad.

I was referencing Dak not Thomas.

Billyd

Reaction score
He broke his leg last year and the type of injuries he has had like hamstrings and broken bones are not predictive of further injury. It's not like he has a degenerative condition like a shredded meniscus or chronic tendinitis.

Those injuries impacted his production but for all the assertions of those against the deal there have been no reports of him looking like he had lost a step in TC or the like.

You acknowledge that he still gets picks but overall using statlines for DBs is a piss poor method of evaluating them. If that is all that you get it tells me you have not watched him much to talk about his play.

Why because they tell the truth?

If i wanted to dig into this it wouldnt take me long to find out what the deal is..Seattle is dumping his contract to mitigate their loss. WHY should we help them do that? HIs production now is about what a avg safety does..

This whatever does not get the Cowboys competing for a sb... It only helps Seattle..You know we play seattle this year..Why would you promote a lose win deal like this?

Last edited:

Blitzen

Reaction score
Yeah I actually meant to qualify the qb part, but the point remains the same. They're not devoid of talent in the money areas. I do agree, I just think this opportunity isn't really hard to justify

I think he would fit. Just don't like the #50 pick to make it happen. The third rounder is the top of the market for what you would be getting (with the added strain of a large contract and an older player). That #50 can be used for a 4 year player that should be able to average at least 30-40% of the snaps on whichever side of the ball they play. That pick could also be used to package and go up in the second to grab another player you have a really high grade on. Cheap 4-5 year starters are what the top two rounds of the draft is meant to be along with growing your core of elite talent.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
3rd and 5th ONLY!

Or else NO DEAL!!!!

Billyd

Reaction score
He chased our coach down the tunnel and was recorded saying 'come get me' following a game last season.

How do you think that's playing with his teammates, management and fans in the Seattle area.

If we drop a 2nd on him we are literally the worst negotiators in the league.

True. OUR base is negotiating a,deal for seattle..lol

Billyd

Reaction score
3rd and 5th ONLY!

Or else NO DEAL!!!!
No deal anyway. Im going to pull something see what it do..Earl is marginal now..Hasnt played a full season in two years, and looks like he is breaking down..

He had a good run..But i think our picks are best spent on our prospects, not Seattles vets!

Proof

Reaction score
I think he would fit. Just don't like the #50 pick to make it happen. The third rounder is the top of the market for what you would be getting (with the added strain of a large contract and an older player). That #50 can be used for a 4 year player that should be able to average at least 30-40% of the snaps on whichever side of the ball they play. That pick could also be used to package and go up in the second to grab another player you have a really high grade on. Cheap 4-5 year starters are what the top two rounds of the draft is meant to be along with growing your core of elite talent.

I agree with all of that. I don't want to give up anything for him, much less a second, but I would love to have him on the team, and sooner than later.

Billyd

Reaction score

What if you could get better production from a draft pick, playing more games?