Ed Reed on Irvin show - Garrett comment - WOW w/audio

masomenos

Less is more
Reaction score
khiladi;2560549 said:
1.Are you saying professional defenses don't get tired after the offense can't do squat for 3 and a half quarters? How do you explain Emmit Smith breaking off long run after long run in the later stages of the games, despite the opposing defenses knowing what was coming? And if the offense bailed the defense out in the past, so what? The defense would be to blame for their crappy performance. 2.Yes, our offense is so simple. Further, one only has to realize the tempo of no-huddle is quicker, so that reduces the chance of the defense to adjust, even if they allegedly know what would be coming, provided they had time to get into their sets. The fact is, Garrett was less of a factor than prior.3. The ravens defense didn't get anything going until the third quarter, and even then, it was because of poor special teams play, with a 23 yard return by Mason and a fake-field goal. 4. Up until the 4th quarter, Dallas offense had 5 series with only 3 plays, each netting 4, 7, 2, 9 and 1 yard respoectively. They had two series where they had only 4 plays, one ending in an INT and the other a punt. They flat-out sucked and wore the defense down.. That is a fact...That Cowboys offense had 141 yards thorugh three quarters.

Check the TOP, it's not like the defense was on the field for a ridiculous amount of time. Also, you said that the defense was tired of bailing the offense out, not that they were tired. What you said implied that they just gave up.

In all honesty, it doesn't matter what a team does through 3 quarters, it matters what they do through 4. The offense put up 24 points on a team that allowed an average of 15 per game. Only 4 other opponents scored 20+ on Baltimore this year, 3 of them won. The offense scored enough points. It doesn't matter if the majority came in the 4th quarter, points in the 4th are worth just as much as points at any other point in the game. Or would you be happier if we had scored 7 in the first, 3 in the second, 7 in the third and 7 in the fourth? It doesn't matter, we still would have lost.

That game is on the defense, not the offense, not Garrett.

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
dcfanatic;2560550 said:
Now you can remove your foot from your mouth and actually listen to the audio.

And way to jump to conclusions on what I wrote. I never said there weren't problems with the offense and please don't even try to lump me in with the 'homers' around here who think nothing is wrong because you are way off.

Reed even admits that if T.O. looks up a second sooner they have a different game on their hands.

I don't know DC... I just listened to it and he was pretty tough on Garrett.

Of course he tried to be a little diplomatic saying maybe it was just "against us", etc. but he flat out said it was "simple" compared to other game plans they had seen, the lack of checks, etc. etc. He didn't pull many punches.

Everyone can listen and judge for themselves, but I would hardly think Red would count those comments as a good referral for a job interview, especially coming from the guy who is probably the smartest defensive ball player in the league.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
notherbob;2560469 said:
None of this going to matter if the Cowboys don't come together as a team and play like a team instead of every man for himself. Unfortunately, it does not appear that the current bunch of players is capable of coming together and becoming a team

Glory hogs don't want to sacrifice for others, they want others to sacrifice for them. Jerry's and Wade's personalities only encourage them to act up.​

This team is a reflection of how it is managed.​

:clap2:​

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2560581 said:
DC is right... Always listen to the audio yourself.

The part about our simple game plan starts about 8:39.

Hey, on the bright side, at least it sounds like he thinks our defense is all right.

"I'm surprised that they're trying to fire Wade Phillips down there and he's the one calling the defense and the defense is successful... And the guy who's calling the offensive plays, you know, ain't getting the same turnaround."

Always listen to the audio yourself is right.

And people say I come around with an agenda, lol.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Exact quotes:

I don't think their game plan was as ... planned out ... should I say, as I thought it'd be. I thought it'd be more complicated. But it was a real simple game plan that they attacked us with. Like I said, we knew it. That's why I was looking at these coaching openings and people talking about a certain someone from Dallas and I was like hold on...

What do you mean by that?
I'm just saying...it's Garrett, Garrett, Garrett...and I know the plays -- maybe that was just the gameplan for us. But when I watch it on tape, it's not as complicated as I thought it'd be.

Are you saying you are surprised Garrett is getting so many opportunities?
I'm surprised they're trying to fire Wade Phillips down there, when he's the one calling the defense and the defense is successful and the guy that is calling the offense ain't gettin' the same turnaround.

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
CaptainAmerica;2560596 said:
I don't know DC... I just listened to it and he was pretty tough on Garrett.

Of course he tried to be a little diplomatic saying maybe it was just "against us", etc. but he flat out said it was "simple" compared to other game plans they had seen, the lack of checks, etc. etc. He didn't pull many punches.

Everyone can listen and judge for themselves, but I would hardly think Red would count those comments as a good referral for a job interview, especially coming from the guy who is probably the smartest defensive ball player in the league.

Reed even admitted the game is different if T.O. catches that pass.

That play changes the game IMO.

Plus the miss to Austin? That play would change the game too.

The OP made it seem like Reed was laughing at Garrett as an NFL OC and that wasn't the case at all.

Like most are saying in here. In the end it all comes down to execution though.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
masomenos85;2560591 said:
Check the TOP, it's not like the defense was on the field for a ridiculous amount of time. Also, you said that the defense was tired of bailing the offense out, not that they were tired. What you said implied that they just gave up.

In all honesty, it doesn't matter what a team does through 3 quarters, it matters what they do through 4. The offense put up 24 points on a team that allowed an average of 15 per game. Only 4 other opponents scored 20+ on Baltimore this year, 3 of them won. The offense scored enough points. It doesn't matter if the majority came in the 4th quarter, points in the 4th are worth just as much as points at any other point in the game. Or would you be happier if we had scored 7 in the first, 3 in the second, 7 in the third and 7 in the fourth? It doesn't matter, we still would have lost.

That game is on the defense, not the offense, not Garrett.

Just like to same that the game isn't on Romo either....Defense couldn't stop the Ravens offense.....:rolleyes:

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;2560605 said:
Exact quotes:

Where are the quotes about him saying that if T.O. cathes that pass it's a different game because on the next play Romo chucks it up for the INT.

Or the exact quote about Garrett still being HC material, not even OC material, but HC material.

LOL.

Reed was critical of the gameplan, but he wasn't saying Garrett was a joke which is what was implied in the OP.

xWraithx

Benched
Reaction score
dcfanatic;2560608 said:
Reed even admitted the game is different if T.O. catches that pass.

That play changes the game IMO.

Plus the miss to Austin? That play would change the game too.

The OP made it seem like Reed was laughing at Garrett as an NFL OC and that wasn't the case at all.

Like most are saying in here. In the end it all comes down to execution though.

I didn't "make anything seem" like anything at all

All I did was post what Ed Reed said, granted not verbatim, but pretty damn verbatim and let you maggots decide.

xWraithx

Benched
Reaction score
dcfanatic;2560622 said:
Where are the quotes about him saying that if T.O. cathes that pass it's a different game because on the next play Romo chucks it up for the INT.

Or the exact quote about Garrett still being HC material, not even OC material, but HC material.

LOL.

Reed was critical of the gameplan, but he wasn't saying Garrett was a joke which is what was implied in the OP.

you know ***damn good and well that Reed was doing damage control with his quote about Garrett being HC material. After he dropped the bomb 20 seconds earlier about him wondering why teams want him

and what was it you were saying about not calling me out? you've referred to me like 3 times already

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Obviously, Reed thinks Garrett would make a great head coach .. for the Steelers, Bengals or Browns so he could play him twice a year.

In fairness to Garrett, that probably does look like a basic offense to Reed since it's the one he sees in practice every day with Cam Cameran running it. But that just points to how flimsy Garrett's resume and background is as an OC, much less an HC, when he can't counter-adjust to a situation like that.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
dcfanatic;2560622 said:

LOL.

On a completely unrelated not DC are you having a show tonight i missed the last couple been dead tired but I'm going to try and catch one if you're having one to night.

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
xWraithx;2560635 said:
you know ***damn good and well that Reed was doing damage control with his quote about Garrett being HC material. After he dropped the bomb 20 seconds earlier about him wondering why teams want him

and what was it you were saying about not calling me out? you've referred to me like 3 times already

Are you going to be ok?

If I was calling you out I would have said you left out some stuff to make it seem like Reed said Jason Garrett was a joke as an offensive coordinator.

And that you left out the parts where he said Garrett was still HC material.

Whether you think it was damage control or not it was said and you didn't relay that info.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
dcfanatic;2560622 said:

LOL.

I only transcribed the part that the OP was referring to. I'm not going to transcribe (or even listen to) the entire clip.

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2560645 said:
On a completely unrelated not DC are you having a show tonight i missed the last couple been dead tired but I'm going to try and catch one if you're having one to night.

We are taking a break for a few weeks.

Hopefully Jerry wakes up and fires Wade.

That will force us into a new show ASAP.

xWraithx

Benched
Reaction score
dcfanatic;2560647 said:
Are you going to be ok?

If I was calling you out I would have said you left out some stuff to make it seem like Reed said Jason Garrett was a joke as an offensive coordinator.

And that you left out the parts where he said Garrett was still HC material.

Whether you think it was damage control or not it was said and you didn't relay that info.

I wasn't doing an Irvin show recap, I was posting a Garrett comment, as my title says

Thank you for posting the audio

I wasn't altering anything or Ed Werdering anything to make it seem like anything other than what it was

CPonder14

Reaction score
agenda............ They were the only team talking about Garrett as far as we know, andhe was the one who happened to turn down the Ravens job.

Sounds like they are mad at Garrett and tried to take some jabs at him.

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
Reed was dogging Garrett, no two ways about it, but like several have pointed out, that's just a symptom of our problems as an organization.

The disease is much deeper than "simple" game plans.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
CPonder14;2560657 said:
agenda............ They were the only team talking about Garrett as far as we know, andhe was the one who happened to turn down the Ravens job.

Sounds like they are mad at Garrett and tried to take some jabs at him.
so did Pittsburgh and our own players(Cancer and Romo)

alancdc

Reaction score
k0wb0y;2560328 said:
just confirms even more wut Ray lewis said. about our offense beeing simple. its all on garrett.

Exactly, and I brought this up right the day after the game and all I heard was simple doesn't matter. Maybe simple doesn't matter, but predictible does.