Ed Reed on Irvin show - Garrett comment - WOW w/audio

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
parcells316;2560337 said:
The Cowboys under Norv Turner were said to have 4 running plays and a handful of pass plays. That simple offense seemed to do alright.
It starts up front.

That OL > Current OL

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
xWraithx;2560656 said:
I wasn't doing an Irvin show recap, I was posting a Garrett comment, as my title says

Thank you for posting the audio

I wasn't altering anything or Ed Werdering anything to make it seem like anything other than what it was

Don't worry, you obviously picked out the most interesting part to post, because 103.3 is now running that Reed quote as a promo between segments.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
I find this whole argument funny if you want to talk simple offenses look no further than the Titians people know they are going to run and they run a lot of the same basic runs yet here they are 1st round bye and beating good teams on the way with a simple offense.

Funny how something like execution; great special teams (we had horrible special teams) great defense and a well disciplined team can win

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Superbowl windows don't stay open long in the NFL. If the excuse is Garrett is just green and wet behind the ears, it begs the question as to how long the Cowboys can afford to wait on him. When is he going to be ready, because the clock is ticking on this team. Losing Kyle Kosier completely crippled his offense, what's he going to do when Flozell retires and we have to find a new left tackle?

Rather than holding the organization hostage as he goes through his growing pains, Garrett really needs to take a night offensive coordinator 101 class at the local junior college or something because this isn't a "Offensive Coordinator in Training" learn-as-you-go position. Not with this organization. Not with this team. Not at a $3 million a year salary.

wileedog

Reaction score
Kangaroo;2560714 said:
I find this whole argument funny if you want to talk simple offenses look no further than the Titians people know they are going to run and they run a lot of the same basic runs yet here they are 1st round bye and beating good teams on the way with a simple offense.

Funny how something like execution; great special teams (we had horrible special teams) great defense and a well disciplined team can win

Fisher was on CBS last weekend saying pretty much that was their plan coming into camp - get back to drilling fundamentals and execution. Concentrate on their strengths and perfect them.

That was around the time we were on HBO.

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
xWraithx;2560322 said:
Wow...

Ed Reed was just interviewed on Michael Irvin's radio show just now (ESPN radio 103.3FM)

He was asked simply "how did you beat the Cowboys?"

his response essentially: *slight laugh* well... we prepared all week and had a good gameplan and their gameplan on offense was "simple" and "we knew it". When people around the league are talking about head coaching openings and inserting a certain coach from the Cowboys [Garrett], I'm like "hold on now..". People in Dallas are wanting to fire Wade Phillips when his defense is successful but it's Garrett they should be taking a look at

damn..

Hey Hostile, tell us it aint so! :lmao2:

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
wileedog;2560720 said:
Fisher was on CBS last weekend saying pretty much that was their plan coming into camp - get back to drilling fundamentals and execution. Concentrate on their strengths and perfect them.

That was around the time we were on HBO.

I also don't recall the Titan WRs organizing private meetings with Fisher to complain about how the power run offense isn't best utilizing their personal talents.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
First of all, Reed was in fact dogging Tecmo and rightfully so. Our offense is so predictable that I can usually guess what play we are going to run simply by formation and down and distance about 80% of the time.

I am sure I am not the only fan on this board that can do this, so you think a superstar safety like Reed doesnt know as well???

As far as the 90s teams having only like 5 plays, you can do that if you have a HOF quarterback, a HOF receiver, and the league's all-time leading rusher. We dont have any of this, so you might want to be a little more creative.

BTW.....it is not just the Ravens fellas, the Steelers also laughed about our offense being so basic and our own freaking players (including our franchise QB) have basically said the same thing........The scheme sucks.

Manster68

Reaction score
Whether or not Reed was blasting Garrett is neither here nor there with me.

This team put together the most embarassing and dissappointing season in my 39 years of following Cowboys football.

The problem is internal - internal meaning within the confines of their skulls and skins!

If Dallas had the heart and dedication of any of the playoff teams, they would be in the Super Bowl!

Instead, Cowboys fans would have to witness a severe lack of preparedness and desire from a bunch of individuals whom give the impression that they are only there for a paycheck.

Nobody on this team knows how to sink the eight ball!

Regardless of who or where a person is in the Cowboys organization, one thing is evident...

...only the unborn are innocent!

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
jterrell;2560401 said:
The basic tenet of a good offense is simple for the offensive players but putting the defenders in a tough spot.

Again people thinking what we ran int he 90s was simple is a flawed thought.

It was simple for our offensive players because we didn't need 30 calls but it was hard for defenders because you couldn't sit on anything, we ran everything out of the same basic formations and nothing was given away except on short yardage runs and then we just had more horses on the OL than the DL.

Irvin ran the same exact first 5-7 yards of every pattern he ever ran. No one could sit on his routes. They had to either guess or just allow him those catches and tackle him for first downs.

:hammer:

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
The points made about Norv's offense being pretty simple are good and valid points.

However I think with Norv here (and of course Jimmy as well) there was a much great amount of pressure put on the players to be very mentally ready and to pay attention to detail.

I'm not sure that I believe Garrett (and, yes, of course Wade as well) are very good at getting players to put that kind of attention to detail into their practice habits.

I think Garrett is just as much responsible for that lack of focus, and performance, from the offense as Wade is as the HC.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;2560733 said:
I also don't recall the Titan WRs organizing private meetings with Fisher to complain about how the power run offense isn't best utilizing their personal talents.

Of course not Fisher has control of his team and demands respect. The Dallas Cowboys headcoach is a clown so it does not matter what the other coaches do because the clown lets the inmates run the asylum.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
s34989a9xj5.jpg

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
Beast_from_East;2560743 said:
First of all, Reed was in fact dogging Tecmo and rightfully so. Our offense is so predictable that I can usually guess what play we are going to run simply by formation and down and distance about 80% of the time.

I am sure I am not the only fan on this board that can do this, so you think a superstar safety like Reed doesnt know as well???

As far as the 90s teams having only like 5 plays, you can do that if you have a HOF quarterback, a HOF receiver, and the league's all-time leading rusher. We dont have any of this, so you might want to be a little more creative.

BTW.....it is not just the Ravens fellas, the Steelers also laughed about our offense being so basic and our own freaking players (including our franchise QB) have basically said the same thing........The scheme sucks.

Wow. So on 4 out of every 5 plays you already knew what was coming?

You should be an NFL defensive coordinator. I would think your defense would break NFL records in year one with you calling the defenses.

:bang2:

Reaction score
parcells316;2560337 said:
I'm very careful with regard to what Ravens players say about Jason Garrett. Remember, he rejected the chance to coach these players so they are going to take some shots at him. I've seen Suggs, Ray Lewis and Reed all do it since that game was done.

The Cowboys under Norv Turner were said to have 4 running plays and a handful of pass plays. That simple offense seemed to do alright.

You CAN be simple...you just need to execute. You need discipline, and you need someone who can run the show (i.e. just like the very simple Indianapolis offense)...problem is we can't do ANY of that stuff.

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2560695 said:
Don't worry, you obviously picked out the most interesting part to post, because 103.3 is now running that Reed quote as a promo between segments.

Wait. So are you trying to say that he is 'Ed Werdering' it?

:lmao2:

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
How does he go from boy genius to incompetent in one year? Seriously, guys...

Garrett is a great offensive mind, but players need to execute. The whole offense is to blame, from Tony locking in on Witten, to Owens and his dropped passes, to Roy Williams running terrible routes, to the injuries to our running backs, and most importantly, an offensive line that looked like a shell of it's former self.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
k0wb0y;2560328 said:
just confirms even more wut Ray lewis said. about our offense beeing simple. its all on garrett.

If it was so simple, why'd they allow us to score 24 points?