Twitter: Ed Werder reports Norv Turner and Dave Wannstedt as OC and DC possibilities

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Not exactly sure what you're saying, but the talk on the radio show was that Jerry did the hires last year, and might give Garrett more say this time. So the implication is that Jason is the one who wants these two and couldn't get them last year, but it could happen now if he does get his way.

(Although I repeat that Galloway claimed last year that Norv said he wasn't interested in coming here because he wanted to avoid the circus.)

If Garrett wants Norv and Dave....then I'm truly scared. Shows Garrett has little resources to put a competent staff together

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
What do you think the cowboys should do moving forward? Stick with a 4-3/tampa 2 guy or do something else.

First of all I don't like calling the defense the Tampa 2 or even a 4-3. I don't even know what to call a lot of defenses anymore. I guess if the DC says it's this or that then ok that's it. Or many use what appears to be the base defense on first down in the middle of the field with lots of time left in that half and the score close. We do run a 4-3 in those situations most of the time and we often run a Cover 2 or 3 but we have run a Cover 0 or 1 or man under nickel with one deep safety. We roll coverages, invert them and run multiple packages as do every team in the NFL. Many of the 3-4 teams run a hybrid as do some of the 4-3 teams. I like the Seattle look with the diamond and the hybrid 3-4 personnel in a hybrid 4-3 scheme. I like their DL personnel and how they use them shooting the gaps and shooting and holding. The more I learn about defenses the more I learn I don't know much at all.

Kingsham

Reaction score
First of all I don't like calling the defense the Tampa 2 or even a 4-3. I don't even know what to call a lot of defenses anymore. I guess if the DC says it's this or that then ok that's it. Or many use what appears to be the base defense on first down in the middle of the field with lots of time left in that half and the score close. We do run a 4-3 in those situations most of the time and we often run a Cover 2 or 3 but we have run a Cover 0 or 1 or man under nickel with one deep safety. We roll coverages, invert them and run multiple packages as do every team in the NFL. Many of the 3-4 teams run a hybrid as do some of the 4-3 teams. I like the Seattle look with the diamond and the hybrid 3-4 personnel in a hybrid 4-3 scheme. I like their DL personnel and how they use them shooting the gaps and shooting and holding. The more I learn about defenses the more I learn I don't know much at all.

Tis true. The more I've watched football the more I learn about the defenses as well. I think if you have the proper personnel you can run whatever defense you want to, but our defense is lacking in several key areas. Our defensive line gets minimal pressure. Our linebackers look like a M*A*S*H* unit and our defensive back, while decently solid, seem out of position on alot of plays. Honestly I dont think any of us have a logical answer to solve the defensive issues this team have.

On the contrary as we had mentioned before, I would love to see an innovative offensive coordinator come in. I feel as though we have good weapons on offense, and our offensive line played pretty solid compared to the previous season.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Seriously... Could the NFL step in and strip Jerry of his power? This is so bad.

Conduct detrimental to the league......why not? Has taken the leagues top franchise and has ruined it's reputation as a top notch organization.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
A Floaty sighting! What's up Floaty?!

On vacation in Sacramento w/ the wife. Spent yesterday in SF. Under the weather the whole time.....stinks. But enjoying the playoffs today so far. Hopefully the Eagles lose by 20

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Tis true. The more I've watched football the more I learn about the defenses as well. I think if you have the proper personnel you can run whatever defense you want to, but our defense is lacking in several key areas. Our defensive line gets minimal pressure. Our linebackers look like a M*A*S*H* unit and our defensive back, while decently solid, seem out of position on alot of plays. Honestly I dont think any of us have a logical answer to solve the defensive issues this team have.

On the contrary as we had mentioned before, I would love to see an innovative offensive coordinator come in. I feel as though we have good weapons on offense, and our offensive line played pretty solid compared to the previous season.

You hit the nail on the head. The defense needs players who can do their job. The schemes are more dependent on the personnel you have to play than the other way around. I do like the coaches to think outside the box esp in the special packages. And I do wish they would change their philosophy for drafting CBs and safeties.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
On vacation in Sacramento w/ the wife. Spent yesterday in SF. Under the weather the whole time.....stinks. But enjoying the playoffs today so far. Hopefully the Eagles lose by 20

I just left Florida and 84+ degrees sitting on the water feeling the breeze and chowing down on grouper sandwiches and fries. Gained five pounds in a week+. It was brutal but someone had to do it.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Just occured to me if Jerry hired Norv and Dave Wannstedt...then this could be Jerry's ultimate revenge move when no one would toast Jerry in 1992. This would give Jerry his chance to finally fire everyone that sat @ that table.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Floaty is the man.

Used to be fun watching him get the mods on the ranch stirred up with all of his name changes.

I'm a mod there too btw and still found it funny.

Kingsham

Reaction score
I know some people arent the biggest fan of Bleacher Report, but I found an article that is right up the alley for this thread.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...dallas-cowboys-should-be-looking-at-right-now

On the defensive side a name that caught my attention was Ray Horton, who is a former Cowboy. Apparently, they looked at him a few years ago. Garrett wanted to bring him in instead of Rob Ryan, but Jones overruled him. I think it could possibly work. My former roommate is a big Bengals fan and where we lived we got to see all of the bengals games so for the past 2 years I watched quite a bit of the Browns play. Although they did not have alot of big named players, I thought the Browns had a very solid defense and seemed to be very well coached. Just a thought guys.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
I know some people arent the biggest fan of Bleacher Report, but I found an article that is right up the alley for this thread.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...dallas-cowboys-should-be-looking-at-right-now

On the defensive side a name that caught my attention was Ray Horton, who is a former Cowboy. Apparently, they looked at him a few years ago. Garrett wanted to bring him in instead of Rob Ryan, but Jones overruled him. I think it could possibly work. My former roommate is a big Bengals fan and where we lived we got to see all of the bengals games so for the past 2 years I watched quite a bit of the Browns play. Although they did not have alot of big named players, I thought the Browns had a very solid defense and seemed to be very well coached. Just a thought guys.

I don't think that's accurate, I think Horton chose to go to Arizona over coming here if I remember correctly.

Kingsham

Reaction score
Well I should have said that better, from what I read, Garrett wanted to bring Horton in, in some capacity.

cheftjpeck

Reaction score
I just left Florida and 84+ degrees sitting on the water feeling the breeze and chowing down on grouper sandwiches and fries. Gained five pounds in a week+. It was brutal but someone had to do it.
Yes Florida has refused to participate in winter this year

jnday

Reaction score
What did Dallas do that warranted this story?

I'll wait.

You should be able to see without waiting. They had a very bad defense and the offense struggled with play calling. Rumors are everywhere about Kiffin being out as the DC. It is rumored that Callahan is out as well. The media is reporting possible replacements. What did Dallas do to warrant the story? Play terrible defense and questionable offense to the point that replacements are being looked at. I don't see where the media is wrong for reporting these rumors. I don't have a problem with the media's coverage of the Cowboys though. Many posters do. I have yet to see the media cost the team a win in any of their games and I don't share the hate for the media that many fans have. One way that the Cowboys can solve the harsh media reporting is to win games. Winners don't seem to have media problems.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
You should be able to see without waiting. They had a very bad defense and the offense struggled with play calling. Rumors are everywhere about Kiffin being out as the DC. It is rumored that Callahan is out as well. The media is reporting possible replacements. What did Dallas do to warrant the story? Play terrible defense and questionable offense to the point that replacements are being looked at. I don't see where the media is wrong for reporting these rumors. I don't have a problem with the media's coverage of the Cowboys though. Many posters do. I have yet to see the media cost the team a win in any of their games and I don't share the hate for the media that many fans have. One way that the Cowboys can solve the harsh media reporting is to win games. Winners don't seem to have media problems.

K.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

Cool story, bro.

The Cowboys earned the story by being the Cowboys.
This brain dead drivel earned double digit pages.

FWIW Marinelli and a couple other Cowboys Defensive assts are wayyyy more coveted than Wanny.
If they fire Kiffen it would make zero sense to bring in a new DC.

Offensively they can just hand Garrett back play calling duties. After all he is in a make or break year and if he fails he is gone. Since he'd have to have the best season of his head coaching career why bring in his buddies? Makes zero sense.

Carolina Cowboy

Reaction score

Dude my fiance' introduced me to South Fl this year and I'm hooked. I'm a fisherman and it is absolute paradise down there with a multitude of options every day.