Eli Manning to retire

conner01

Reaction score
He’s the all time passing leader for the Giants.

And ranks seventh all-time in NFL passing yards (57,023), passing touchdowns (366) and passing completions (4,895).
That’s gonna get him in but do you think at any point in his career he was the best or even top 2 or 3 QB in the league
He made 4 pro bowls but was never an all pro
He was a good QB, a good person and a great ambassador for the nfl
But the HOF to me is being the very best of your era and I don’t think he was

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That’s gonna get him in but do you think at any point in his career he was the best or even top 2 or 3 QB in the league
It doesn’t matter what you or I think.

I think sometimes we try to make the HOF too select.

It’s about career mark achievements and winning. Eli’s career fits both of those. Were there other HOF caliber QB’s better ? Of course.

sean10mm

Reaction score
If you look at how the Hall of Fame selects players, it's as much about their individual story as anything else.

2001-2019 was defined almost entirely by the dominance of the Patriots. They played in 9 Super Bowls, and 2 out of their 3 losses were at the hands of the Eli Manning-led Giants.

Look at Eli's performance in those 2 Super Bowl runs. 15 touchdowns to 2 picks in those 8 playoff games. That does a lot to counterbalance looking derpy in the regular season.

Eli Manning is very comparable to Jim Plunkett, except that Plunkett did't get his two Super Bowl wins against the Joe Montana era 49ers, while Manning got his against the Tom Brady era Patriots.

TonyS

Reaction score
Thank you Eli for keeping the Patriots from winning two additional Superbowls. We couldn't do it, so glad someone else from the NFC East did it. Brady was in his prime and they still pulled off the Ws. I haven't cheered so much for a team,other than the Cowboys, in my life. Those two SBs were definitely my favorites of any in the past 25 years. Wow, just realizing how sad that is for me...and most of us!

conner01

Reaction score
It doesn’t matter what you or I think.

I think sometimes we try to make the HOF too select.

It’s about career mark achievements and winning. Eli’s career fits both of those. Were there other HOF caliber QB’s better ? Of course.
I know what I think doesn’t matter but I see the HOF as being the elite of the elite
The greatest players of their era
Not a good player who played long enough to have good career stats
The HOF risks becoming as irrelevant as the pro bowl has become

sean10mm

Reaction score
I know what I think doesn’t matter but I see the HOF as being the elite of the elite

The list of QBs with multiple championships from 2001-2020 is:

Brady (6)
Roethelisberger (2)
Eli Manning (2)
Peyton Manning(2)

If they all get in it doesn't dilute anything.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Not the Elite of the elite but best of an era.

I’d argue Eli wouldn’t even be considered without his Career stats and or Rings. But together they are a sound argument for induction. Not only 7th all time in NFL in passing yards but 1st in Giants history.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No, Eli was never the very best of his era, but if that's the criteria a whole boatload of players that are already in wouldn't be. For example, Jerome Bettis and Curtis Martin were never considered the very best of their era. Jim Kelly was never considered as good as Elway, Marino, Young, Aikman and others, but he got in, and in large part because he got to the Super Bowl so often, even though he never won it. His passing stats are no better than Eli's, and fall short on a career basis.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/pass_rating_career.htm

If you are going on passer rating as a stand alone stat, Dak Prescott, Tony Romo, Kirk Cousins are in! Hooray for them!

As for Eli, while passer rating wasn't his best stat, his career passer rating is still higher than HOFers like Elway, Aikman, Staubach and Moon.

Of course, no other stat matters, right?

It was a comparison between Manning and his peers while he played. He averaged in the bottom half of the league. That's not good. Career rating is not a good measure because it doesn't account for different eras. QBs from newer eras will always top the list unless there are some extreme rule changes. The worst QBs today do better than the best of yesteryear using that measure. But Romo should be in IMO. Dak and Cousins have a long way to go.

He is also pretty poor in many other key stats, particularly interceptions, leading the league 3 times with more than 20 and averaging over 15 (even including last year when he only had 4 games). His 1.5 TD:INT ratio is pretty bad for the era he has played in, as is his 60.3% completion percentage. His 7.0 YPA is extremely pedestrian.

All of his "good" numbers are merely from how MUCH he threw, not how well.

He is mediocre in every single way, but with enough talent to have hot stretches on a few occasions. That's it.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
No, Eli was never the very best of his era, but if that's the criteria a whole boatload of players that are already in wouldn't be. For example, Jerome Bettis and Curtis Martin were never considered the very best of their era. Jim Kelly was never considered as good as Elway, Marino, Young, Aikman and others, but he got in, and in large part because he got to the Super Bowl so often, even though he never won it. His passing stats are no better than Eli's, and fall short on a career basis.

It's one thing to not be the very best. It's another to be bottom half of the league on average.
Most of the time, he was only 3rd best in his own division.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The list of QBs with multiple championships from 2001-2020 is:

Brady (6)
Roethelisberger (2)
Eli Manning (2)
Peyton Manning(2)

If they all get in it doesn't dilute anything.
Add Rodgers and Brees to that list as well.

Eli is no doubt the lesser of the group but cumulatively his career stats and Rings do measure up.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It's one thing to not be the very best. It's another to be bottom half of the league on average.
Most of the time, he was only 3rd best in his own division.
If Romo had been able to endure longevity with his passing yardage and stats while adding a Ring or two he’d be considered for HOF also.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yep

Ultimately winning trumps all. Because Impact trumps stats.

And it’s not a given Eli gets in. Doubtful he’ll be 1st ballot. But I won’t be surprised if he is. His career stats are up there and with the Rings not many who aren’t getting in we’d put ahead of him.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It was a comparison between Manning and his peers while he played. He averaged in the bottom half of the league. That's not good. Career rating is not a good measure because it doesn't account for different eras. QBs from newer eras will always top the list unless there are some extreme rule changes. The worst QBs today do better than the best of yesteryear using that measure. But Romo should be in IMO. Dak and Cousins have a long way to go.

He is also pretty poor in many other key stats, particularly interceptions, leading the league 3 times with more than 20 and averaging over 15 (even including last year when he only had 4 games). His 1.5 TD:INT ratio is pretty bad for the era he has played in, as is his 60.3% completion percentage. His 7.0 YPA is extremely pedestrian.

All of his "good" numbers are merely from how MUCH he threw, not how well.

He is mediocre in every single way, but with enough talent to have hot stretches on a few occasions. That's it.
It was cherry picking one stat. Hell, I can make an argument for or against most players if I did that.

And yes, volume does play into the stats that will help him get into the HOF. That has always been the case with the HOF - it's not just an Eli Manning thing. Plus, post season success, especially with QBs, has always been a big factor in getting into the HOF. That also isn't just an Eli Manning thing. So, why should we say those things suddenly don't matter with Eli Manning?

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Yep

And it’s not a given Eli gets in. Doubtful he’ll be 1st ballot. But I won’t be surprised if he is. His career stats are up there and with the Rings not many who aren’t getting in we’d put ahead of him.

Agreed possible Eli doesn't get in on the first ballot, but two time SB champ PLUS SB MVP, plus playing in the New York area, means to me he will....

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If you look at how the Hall of Fame selects players, it's as much about their individual story as anything else.

2001-2019 was defined almost entirely by the dominance of the Patriots. They played in 9 Super Bowls, and 2 out of their 3 losses were at the hands of the Eli Manning-led Giants.

Look at Eli's performance in those 2 Super Bowl runs. 15 touchdowns to 2 picks in those 8 playoff games. That does a lot to counterbalance looking derpy in the regular season.

Eli Manning is very comparable to Jim Plunkett, except that Plunkett did't get his two Super Bowl wins against the Joe Montana era 49ers, while Manning got his against the Tom Brady era Patriots.
Yep

That would prob fall under the “ impact” which is another definition of getting in.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yep

I won't argue with your opinion that it's not a given Eli gets in. I think it is. But I absolutely agree with you that it's doubtful he gets in on the first ballot. I think his only chance if that is if there is just an overall weaker group of candidates that year.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Thank you Eli for keeping the Patriots from winning two additional Superbowls. We couldn't do it, so glad someone else from the NFC East did it. Brady was in his prime and they still pulled off the Ws. I haven't cheered so much for a team,other than the Cowboys, in my life. Those two SBs were definitely my favorites of any in the past 25 years. Wow, just realizing how sad that is for me...and most of us!
I can’t imagine pulling for any of our hated divisional rivals in a Super Bowl.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
He’s absolutely a HOFer.

Based on raw statistical totals, two Super Bowls, and more importantly the fact he played a critical role on those Super Bowl runs*.

If guys like Dan Fouts and Warren Moon are getting in it can be argued Manning has a stronger case.

*That’s not something that can be said about even Aikman.