Ellis and Parcells in shouting match?

zagnut

Reaction score
Newy's other proclaimations from the recent past...

* Zimmer's firing is imminent.

* Dat was back on the table in the trade to New Orleans for DE Howard.

* Larry Allen is on the verge of being traded to the New England Patriots.

* Unnamed player or players are not buying in to the Parcells program. (Hey, vague accusations. That means it might be true!)

* Parcells' "guys" are treated differently than non-Parcells guys and the non-Parcells guys are steamed about it. (Hey, more vague assertions!)

* Carthon and Parcells got into a fight, were no longer speaking, and Carthon was leaving because of it.

* Roy Williams did not write the childish letter anonymously directed to Jean-Jacques Taylor.

* and, he refers to himself as New Dawg...professionally. Reason enough to believe everything he says.

Why do I think of Skip Bayless when I read Newy Scruggs' Cowboys coverage?

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
zagnut said:

* Unnamed player or players are not buying in to the Parcells program. (Hey, vague accusations. That means it might be true!)

* Parcells' "guys" are treated differently than non-Parcells guys and the non-Parcells guys are steamed about it. (Hey, more vague assertions!)

* Carthon and Parcells got into a fight, were no longer speaking, and Carthon was leaving because of it.

* Roy Williams did not write the childish letter anonymously directed to Jean-Jacques Taylor.

* and, he refers to himself as New Dawg...professionally. Reason enough to believe everything he says.

just like his Ellis report, most of this is total b/s

David

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab said:
So if you don't see it with your own eyes, it couldn't have happened?

Did you ever think that Newy could have talked to Greg?

He's not some Florio type who just makes stuff up. The guy is a sports director for a network station in a major media center.

Maybe this is no big deal in the end, but I don't think this is a fabricated story. I bet you a nickle it's in the papers tomorrow.

CL...I dont believe it for a sec...Ellis isnt an Antonio Bryant or Derek Ross

and Ellis has never been one to spew stuff to the media...further, are the players or coaches even THERE? I thought everyone was on vacation till camp started

David

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
zagnut said:

He once got beat up, in the back of a Cessna, by a JV cheerleader for spreading unconfimed lies about her little sister. That's probably it.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab said:
Thanks for the confirmation, Roy... I thought I heard all that, but it was so spotty I was afraid I'd mis-report something.

I dunno... It's easy to say that Ellis isn't that great, as some people believe, so who cares what he thinks. But IMO if anyone deserves to be treated with respect on this whole team, it's Ellis. There hasn't been a harder worker or better person on the team in the last several years.
I listened to it as well. Roy did a nice summary.

This is very very distressing, imo. Of course LaRoi and Greg are going to be very concerned re their livelihoods, and they have to know Tuna will get rid of even a Hugh Douglas in his prime if he doesn't fit the scheme.

We have to get a viable pass rush, come hell or high water, and that's the bottom line. But this confrontational stuff on Bill's part, IF the story was reported w/o embellishment by Scruggs, is just plain wrong.

There has been way more publicized friction in Dallas between Bill and players than in his previous three teams togther. And this is with the "press leak" plug- up supposedly operating. LA's obstinance, Ross's punkitude, AB's impatience, Pete's frustration, Blade's backsliding, Davison's b****ing, LaRoi's concern....all of these, stars or scrubs, it has added up to a feeling that Tuna is not the master motivator/primo button pusher he once was.

The Goodfellas said Ellis, in contrast to Key and Terry, for example, are not "Parcells Guys", "drinkers of the Kool-aid". I disagree that Greg Ellis has not been the epitome of the Parcells Guy since Bill arrived and what is so upsetting is that this man's man whom Bill so obviously respected and bonded with, is one he would feel the need to try to "intimidate".

Try to intimidate, threaten or demean Greg Ellis? PLEASE!

Parcells genius is he always intuitively knew what approach to take, carrot or stick. Far too often in Dallas I have been disappointed that he has not handled players with the touch he did in the past.

In the end, even a Douglas, or Kyle Brady, or a Keyshawn level talent ended up gone when they misjudged Bill's resolve, but in years past the blow ups were either not well publicized, or simply didn't occur because Bill knew how to defuse them. Guys woke up in the morning to find they were "ex's", but before they were heave-hoed, there was relative peace.

These miscalculations of Bill's just don't set well. Too many and even a Parcells can lose a team.

Reaction score
Yeah this is no news worthy story...
I think Parcells can blunt at times...
Ellis will be fine, beter then ever with a new D

Jimz31

The Sarcastic One
Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:

This is very very distressing, imo. Of course LaRoi and Greg are going to be very concerned re their livelihoods, and they have to know Tuna will get rid of even a Hugh Douglas in his prime if he doesn't fit the scheme.

We have to get a viable pass rush, come hell or high water, and that's the bottom line. But this confrontational stuff on Bill's part, IF the story was reported w/o embellishment by Scruggs, is just plain wrong.

There has been way more publicized friction in Dallas between Bill and players than in his previous three teams togther. And this is with the "press leak" plug- up supposedly operating. LA's obstinance, Ross's punkitude, AB's impatience, Pete's frustration, Blade's backsliding, Davison's b****ing, LaRoi's concern....all of these, stars or scrubs, it has added up to a feeling that Tuna is not the master motivator/primo button pusher he once was.

The Goodfellas said Ellis, in contrast to Key and Terry, for example, are not "Parcells Guys", "drinkers of the Kool-aid". I disagree that Greg Ellis has not been the epitome of the Parcells Guy since Bill arrived and what is so upsetting is that this man's man whom Bill so obviously respected and bonded with, is one he would feel the need to try to "intimidate".

Parcells genius is he always intuitively knew what approach to take, carrot or stick. Far too often in Dallas I have been disappointed that he has not handled players with the touch he did in the past.

In the end, even a Douglas, or Kyle Brady, or a Keyshawn level talent ended up gone when they misjudged Bill's resolve, but in years past the blow ups were either not well publicized, or simply didn't occur because Bill knew how to defuse them. Guys woke up in the morning to find they were "ex's", but before they were heave-hoed, there was relative peace.

These miscalculations of Bill's just don't set well. Too many and even a Parcells can lose a team.

Good post.

This is a different breed of player nowadays as opposed to BP's earlier years.

Part of me says: "If it is true, so what?"

It's not like BP is above being yelled at. These are all grown men.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
zagnut said:

That is some pretty impressive evidence.

dboyz

Reaction score
Regardless of whether this happened or it was embellished or whatever, Ellis' role on the team is an interesting question. He may be worse fit for the 3-4 than Glover. If we're to believe the official numbers, he's about the same size as Willie McGinest, who of course plays olb in the 3-4. Sure Ellis can play as a nickle pass-rusher and in any four man sets, but he seems a very poor fit as an end in the 3-4. I've been wondering how this will work out myself.

Rocco

Cozy in Colo
Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:

Of course Ellis is pissed. He wouldn't be worth much if he didn't get pissed about getting screwed by the change in defensive philosophy. Parcells has probably been waiting for Ellis and or Glover to lose it. I bet Parcells is glad that Ellis came in and showed some passion..

dwmyers

Reaction score
Charles said:
Greg Ellis = Freddy Mitchell - (minus) the Fluff.

He's a 1st RD pick that didn't live up to his expectations.

Actually, he was a bit of a reach. We knew it at the time, too. Further, his strength isn't his yearly measurables, its his work ethic and his consistency. Mack Brown was pretty clear on that, too.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
All right, Jen Engel and Brad Sham just happened to talk about this. Sham says he talked to Greg today after hearing about this. First, this did happen two months ago, not yesterday. Second, Ellis wouldn't discuss it much, but yes, he did go to Parcells to ask about his role, for lack of a better term. It did get very heated, but 90% of the screaming came from Parcells. Ellis claims that it was intense, but cooled off by the time they were done.

Even Engel wonders if Ellis is using some spin control here... And both Sham and Engel both say Ellis is still very concerned about how he'll fit in.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ellis talked to Newy right after it happened when he was still upset and now is downplaying it... But who knows.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
That does not sound as if Ellis is demanding a trade and if Ellis was so upset then why would he try to spin this to calm things down?

Dallas4ever

Reaction score
This incident took place over two months ago right after the draft and appears to be somewhat resolved. Anyone who plays as hard as Greg Ellis needs to know where he stands with the person who's supposedly leading him. Parcells can be little to stuck in his ways at times and has refused to adjust even when it has a negative effect on his better players. Ellis deserves to know exactly what parcells is expecting of him and as the leader of the team he's responsible for making sure that players know where he's leading them and how they fit in.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab said:
I wouldn't be surprised if Ellis talked to Newy right after it happened when he was still upset and now is downplaying it... But who knows.

CL, did I hear right and this Newey guy is leaving the station after next week, or a week or two?

Maybe breaking this story two months later is his swan song.

Ohh, did you catch Jen's answer to which Cowboy do you wish was never on the team and glad he's gone question? :laugh2: (not a hijack)

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Yes I did, Herms... :D

I think Newy is leaving the radio station sometime soon, but will still be with channel 5 (his "real" job)... So it's not like he's leaving town.

I wonder what he's going to say about all this tomorrow.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab said:
All right, Jen Engel and Brad Sham just happened to talk about this. Sham says he talked to Greg today after hearing about this. First, this did happen two months ago, not yesterday. Second, Ellis wouldn't discuss it much, but yes, he did go to Parcells to ask about his role, for lack of a better term. It did get very heated, but 90% of the screaming came from Parcells. Ellis claims that it was intense, but cooled off by the time they were done.

Even Engel wonders if Ellis is using some spin control here... And both Sham and Engel both say Ellis is still very concerned about how he'll fit in.

Why is Newy talking about this now?

Holy cow, this is less of a story than I thought this morning.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
cannonball44 said:
damn, damn, damn!!!

With Canty coming back...TECHNICALLY Ellis is expendable...

I hate to say this... but Javon Walker anyone...

How in the WORLD do you come to the conclusion that Greg Ellis is expendable with Canty coming back????

Newsflash, Canty hasn't even thrown PADS on in even one exhibition game.

Greg Ellis is NOT expendable IMO.

Underappreciated? Yes.

Expendable? No.