Eric Stokes Ran a 4.25 at his Pro Day

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
IDK......great speed, no question but I'm not overly impressed. Tons of players' speed but what about technique or what's between his ears. Most of the interceptions were more on QB bad throws/reads. He could become a great NFL player, no question but I've learned over the years to keep rookies and speed in perspective.........context.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Is he better than Farley? Can’t teach that speed.
dunno, but I think we need to start looking at the tape and finding out. He's in that group for sure. Farley relies on his recovery speed and athletic ability.Stokes seems to have better than expected sticky coverage skills than I thought.HE WILL GO GET THE BALL. Now that we see his freaky speed too...it throws a monkey wrench in the works lol..but its a good problem to have when choosing a cb.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
don't care if Surtain runs a 5 flat...lol..dude is a ridiculously sound football player with instincts and technique for days.

Exactly ...... very few elite NFL CBs run sub 4.4 but their technique and mental game are second to none. Again, I don't mean to bash the kid but speed alone won't be enough, not in the NFL.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I wouldn't touch Surtain. Surtain runs in the 4.5s in the 40. Trevon Diggs ran a 4.43 40 yard dash, yet we saw how he got beat various times by faster WRs.

We need absolute speed and quickness at CB this year. Both Caleb Farley and Eric Stokes have that. Plus, both can play man-to-man and zone coverage very well...and both are playmakers. I would rather take my chance on either Farley or Stokes, instead of Surtain.
You seem to be a speed guy when it comes to cornerback. What happens if Surtain runs a 4.4 at his pro day? Trust the tape man. If you like Diggs (top rated rookie cornerback in the NFL) you will love Surtain. Farley has the best tools but I don’t trust this coaching staff to develop him. That year off of football hurt him in my eyes because he needed the reps.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Is he better than Farley? Can’t teach that speed.
Reading his scouting report his only weakness seems to be his ball skills. Just of a scouting report I read I need to watch his game against Alabama. I think he might be a top 5 prospect with NFL scouts. One of his strengths is he is a mirror with his coverage.

cnuball21

Reaction score
So realistically he's likely a 4.35ish guy which isn't surprising...dude can fly.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
You seem to be a speed guy when it comes to cornerback. What happens if Surtain runs a 4.4 at his pro day? Trust the tape man. If you like Diggs (top rated rookie cornerback in the NFL) you will love Surtain. Farley has the best tools but I don’t trust this coaching staff to develop him. That year off of football hurt him in my eyes because he needed the reps.
Heed your own advice...and follow the tape man. Surtain is 1 dimensional and gets beat by fast and quick WRs, especially deep or when he can not get his hands on them at the line of scrimmage. Both Farley and Stokes are better fits for what we need.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Heed your own advice...and follow the tape man. Surtain is 1 dimensional and gets beat by fast and quick WRs, especially deep or when he can not get his hands on them at the line of scrimmage. Both Farley and Stokes are better fits for what we need.
Surtain is the safest dude he can walk off the street and be the starting cornerback on our team tomorrow. Please show me the tape where he has been embarrassed. Surtain has more game tape then all of the top cornerbacks have combined. The Cowboys player development worries me. I think Stokes would be my pick if I was a speed guy. Farley needs some work.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

Show those plays.

He plays at Bama. If he’s getting beat like a drum repeatedly you should be able to come up with some examples.

tm1119

Reaction score
Stokes was 1 of the reasons I was/still advocate for passing on CB at 10. As we saw last year with Diggs, the position is always deep and good players fall to the 2nd. Horn, Stokes, Greg Newsome, Aaron Robinson...I would be happy to get any of them in the 2nd + Asante Samuel and Elijah Molden both have huge potential as nickels (FS for Molden as well)

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Stokes was 1 of the reasons I was/still advocate for passing on CB at 10. As we saw last year with Diggs, the position is always deep and good players fall to the 2nd. Horn, Stokes, Greg Newsome, Aaron Robinson...I would be happy to get any of them in the 2nd + Asante Samuel and Elijah Molden both have huge potential as nickels (FS for Molden as well)
After yesterday's 40 timed performance, I seriously doubt Stokes will drop out of the top 20 picks.