Eric Stokes Ran a 4.25 at his Pro Day

tm1119

Reaction score
Stokes was extremely successful in college

No one needs a PR manager more than Mike Mamula. He had 29 sacks his last 24 games in college and was pretty dominant. Even his 31.5 sacks in 64 NFL starts isn’t exactly bad (DLaw has 45.5 in 78 starts with a positive rep). Not that this has anything to do with this thread, just weird to me that Mamula got the reputation as only a “workout warrior” that wasn’t good at football. The raiders as an organization have drafted at least 4/5 guys that deserve to be mentioned before Mamula

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
This is the lame part of every draft season. You get folks that just parrot other’s opinions as gospel. If you don’t know what you’re looking at then why bother. Formulate your own takes instead regurgitating others.
I am, and I'm telling you crystal clear that Surtain would be bad for the Cowboys.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
He does not like Surtain there is nothing we can do about that. It’s like the Dak haters. No matter what he sees in the game tape, he will focus on the negative. Surtain got burnt in the championship but the quarterback did not throw the ball to the receiver. :eek::rolleyes:
So you like Surtain best even though he gets beat deep and at the line of scrimmage if he doesn't get his hands on the opposing WR early? These are things that both Caleb Farley and Eric Stokes perform much better. But you still want the lesser guy? :facepalm:

Talk about hard-headed.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
What does he have to do with Stokes?
A 4.25 corner hasn't been on anyone's radar as a top prospect until he ran said time at a Pro Day.
If he displayed 4.25 speed during the season in his play, at 6'1 205 or so pounds, he should be number 1 on prospect lists.
Yet, he is not.
Hence, my Mike Mamula reference.

cowboyec

Reaction score
thats Herschel speed:omg:.
i like stokes and campbell.
give me both.
i also like s richard lecounte.
and lb monty rice.
give me ALL them dawgs.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I am, and I'm telling you crystal clear that Surtain would be bad for the Cowboys.

“While (Surtain) he typically thrives in press coverage, Surtain was incredibly impressive down the field his senior season. Surtain allowed only one reception 25 yards or more.”

So, he supposedly gets beat deep a lot but only gave up one pass of 25 yards or more? Shut up.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
A 4.25 corner hasn't been on anyone's radar as a top prospect until he ran said time at a Pro Day.
If he displayed 4.25 speed during the season in his play, at 6'1 205 or so pounds, he should be number 1 on prospect lists.
Yet, he is not.
Hence, my Mike Mamula reference.
Anyones radar meaning guys like Jeff Cavanaugh? You havent heard anything from actual scouts.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
“While (Surtain) he typically thrives in press coverage, Surtain was incredibly impressive down the field his senior season. Surtain allowed only one reception 25 yards or more.”

So, he supposedly gets beat deep a lot but only gave up one pass of 25 yards or more? Shut up.
Patrick Surtain...

Weaknesses:
  • Outside corner only
  • Lacks twitch
  • Has change of directions problems
  • Straight line athletically
  • Can be late getting his head around to track ball in flight
  • Not a good fit in off man coverage
Surtain's best year was his this last season, his junior year (2020 season), where he held opposing QBs to a 57.0 passer rating yielded, and 11.3 coverage snaps per target, which led the nation.

Caleb Farley...

Per PFF, when throwing in the direction of Caleb Farley, opposing quarterbacks had a quarterback rating of 26.8 in 2019 (his last year of performance since Farley opted out of the 2020 season due to covid). The passer rating of a quarterback throwing the ball into the dirt on every snap is 39.6.

By that metric, it's statistically better for a quarterback to spike the ball every snap than throw to a receiver covered by Caleb Farley.

Insanity.

Pro Football Focus Suggests Not Throwing at Virginia Tech DB Caleb Farley

In other words, sit down and shut up for once.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Anyones radar meaning guys like Jeff Cavanaugh? You havent heard anything from actual scouts.
Does he have him as the No. 1 corner? At 6'1, 205 lbs, playing for an SEC school, running a 4.25 40, and having played this past season, he should be hands down the No. 1 corner, if he has ball skills. Farley didn't even play this past season, and he's ranked the No.1 corner on many if not most draft boards. I don't think Farley runs 4.25.
Be that as it may, I've seen quite a few ratings of college players eligible for the draft, and I haven't seen one that has him as the top corner prospect.
But, no, I don't recall Cavanaugh's ranking. Does he have him as the No. 1 corner?

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Patrick Surtain...

Weaknesses:
  • Outside corner only
  • Lacks twitch
  • Has change of directions problems
  • Straight line athletically
  • Can be late getting his head around to track ball in flight
  • Not a good fit in off man coverage
Surtain's best year was his this last season, his junior year (2020 season), where he held opposing QBs to a 57.0 passer rating yielded, and 11.3 coverage snaps per target, which led the nation.

Caleb Farley...

Per PFF, when throwing in the direction of Caleb Farley, opposing quarterbacks had a quarterback rating of 26.8 in 2019 (his last year of performance since Farley opted out of the 2020 season due to covid). The passer rating of a quarterback throwing the ball into the dirt on every snap is 39.6.

By that metric, it's statistically better for a quarterback to spike the ball every snap than throw to a receiver covered by Caleb Farley.

Insanity.

Pro Football Focus Suggests Not Throwing at Virginia Tech DB Caleb Farley

In other words, sit down and shut up for once.

Just like I said.

Every year we get dudes in hear that wanna talk draft and just cut and paste the thoughts of others.

BTW, where are all those deep passes be supposedly gave up?

:facepalm:

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Just like I said.

Every year we get dudes in hear that wanna talk draft and just cut and paste the thoughts of others.

BTW, where are all those deep passes be supposedly gave up?

:facepalm:
Voch Lombardi showed tape on Surtain already. Not enough for you?

Farley held opposing QBs to a way much lesser passer rating his last season played (2019) than Surtain's best season (2020) played.

Surtain has a few limitations. Farley does not.

What more do you want?

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Does he have him as the No. 1 corner? At 6'1, 205 lbs, playing for an SEC school, running a 4.25 40, and having played this past season, he should be hands down the No. 1 corner, if he has ball skills. Farley didn't even play this past season, and he's ranked the No.1 corner on many if not most draft boards. I don't think Farley runs 4.25.
Be that as it may, I've seen quite a few ratings of college players eligible for the draft, and I haven't seen one that has him as the top corner prospect.
But, no, I don't recall Cavanaugh's ranking. Does he have him as the No. 1 corner?

Cavanaugh's most recent list:

1st
1 Caleb Farley
2 Patrick Surtain
3 Jaycee Horn
4 Kelvin Joseph

2nd
5 Asante Samuel Jr (slot)
6 Elijah Molden (slot)
7 Aaron Robinson (slot)
8 Paulson Adeebo
9 Ifeatu Melifonwu
10 Greg Newsome

2nd-3rd
11 Shakur Brown
12 Eric Stokes

3rd
13 Thomas Graham Jr
14 Tyson Campbell

Has not watched yet: Benjamin St Juste, Keith Taylor, Robert Rochelle, Tay Gowan

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

1st
1 Caleb Farley
2 Patrick Surtain
3 Jaycee Horn
4 Kelvin Joseph

2nd
6 Elijah Molden (slot)
7 Aaron Robinson (slot)
8 Paulson Adeebo
9 Ifeatu Melifonwu
10 Greg Newsome

2nd-3rd
11 Shakur Brown
12 Eric Stokes

3rd
13 Thomas Graham Jr
14 Tyson Campbell

Has not watched yet: Benjamin St Juste, Keith Taylor, Robert Rochelle, Tay Gowan

FYI ....I'm hearing/reading Newsome could slip into the bottom of the 1st. Supposedly, a couple of playoff teams really like him.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Voch Lombardi showed tape on Surtain already. Not enough for you?

Farley held opposing QBs to a way much lesser passer rating his last season played (2019) than Surtain's best season (2020) played.

Surtain has a few limitations. Farley does not.

What more do you want?

I just showed you information that said he gave up just one (1) pass of 25 yards or more his senior season.

“Buh, this guy has an opinion.....”

Lombardi’s take is an opinion. What I just showed you is the reality of what’s happening on the field aka fact, lulz.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I just showed you information that said he gave up just one (1) pass of 25 yards or more his senior season.

“Buh, this guy has an opinion.....”

Lombardi’s take is an opinion. What I just showed you is the reality of what’s happening on the field aka fact, lulz.
You think that giving up just 1 pass of 25 yards or more justifies taking him? Look at the opposing passer rating accrued by QBs who play against Surtain and Farley that I submitted to you. While Surtain is very good (#1 in the nation in 2020: take not how Farley sat out 2020 due to covid), Farley blows away Surtain's opposing QB accrued passer rating out of the water by a lot! Then, take into account both players' scouting report negatives, Farley shows he's by far the better player and prospect.

Yet, once again, you've got that California smart-aleck stubborn attitude that you simply can't see the forest for the trees when it comes to which is the better player and best suited for the Cowboys needs.

tyke1doe

Reaction score

1st
1 Caleb Farley
2 Patrick Surtain
3 Jaycee Horn
4 Kelvin Joseph

2nd
6 Elijah Molden (slot)
7 Aaron Robinson (slot)
8 Paulson Adeebo
9 Ifeatu Melifonwu
10 Greg Newsome

2nd-3rd
11 Shakur Brown
12 Eric Stokes

3rd
13 Thomas Graham Jr
14 Tyson Campbell

Thank you.

So a corner who runs 4.25, plays for Georgia, is 6 feet 1 inches tall is ranked the 13th best corner. Someone with that speed, that height, that weight, that pedigree is 13th overall.

Say it with me ... Mike Mamula.*

*Of course, I'm exaggerating. But my point is with those measurables, if he were any good ball-wise, he'd be hands down the No. 1 corner in this draft.
Something's not right. Reminds me of Tony Brown from Alabama. He had all the measurables and was, based on measurables, better than Marlon Humphreys. Taller, bigger, faster. But something wasn't right. He had first round written all over him, but, I believe, he went undrafted and now is on his third team - the Cincinnati Bengals. He's not starting, but talent keeps him around. Meanwhile, Humphreys is an all-pro and signed his second contract for mega bucks.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I ask the best question and the most important: can he cover and tackle well?
Alexander Wright WR in 1990, frst pick in 2nd round, selected by Jimmy Johnson, reportely ran a 4.19 40, but he was not a good receiver. He could not do much at the position.

CF105541-BC93-43-C8-A049-B913-F2-F845-D0.jpg

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
You think that giving up just 1 pass of 25 yards or more justifies taking him? Look at the opposing passer rating accrued by QBs who play against Surtain and Farley that I submitted to you. While Surtain is very good (#1 in the nation in 2020: take not how Farley sat out 2020 due to covid), Farley blows away Surtain's opposing QB accrued passer rating out of the water by a lot! Then, take into account both players' scouting report negatives, Farley shows he's by far the better player and prospect.

Yet, once again, you've got that California smart-aleck stubborn attitude that you simply can't see the forest for the trees when it comes to which is the better player and best suited for the Cowboys needs.

No you don’t you dunce.

You claimed he get beat deep
Oh, I see. Those are all his projected times. Those guys don’t know what he’s going to run.

The way you were stating it as fact, I thought you actually knew what he timed in the 40 somehow.
He’s clearly clueless. When you’re debating a player and the first thing you do is a copy and paste job, lol.