ESPN: Cowboys and Zeke Open to Reunion

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
The fact they would even consider bringing him back should bring to worry, and if they do bring him back then people should definitely panic. It would be a ridiculous move and a waste of a roster spot
I think you’re taking the narrow view.

rambo2

Reaction score
I know this FO isn't the smartest, but please tell me they're not this dumb...and of course there are people on this thread saying it wouldn't be a bad idea lol
Why would it be a bad idea to have a power back that converts short yardage situations into 1st downs and touchdowns and can also block to protect the qb?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The fact they would even consider bringing him back should bring to worry, and if they do bring him back then people should definitely panic. It would be a ridiculous move and a waste of a roster spot
He would literally be our best running back in the team lol…

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Yeah I get it. Our top 2 RBs last season both RBs were at 4 yds/carry tho. Zeke is just Jerry continuing to find familiarity and safety.
And our drafted running back was 1.7, and he's next man up at the moment. It's hit and miss. Not saying I want Elliott back, but I don't see adding him to the mix at the right price (as opposed to another veteran) as a negative. If the younger RBs work out, then you can always say goodbye. Of course, some will say we can just add a back later, but we really don't know who will be available. And even if we take a back early that doesn't mean it will work out. I'm always for adding competition and letting the best players win.

There are also other aspects of playing the RB position that some players are not very good at, such as being a receiver out of the backfield or pass protection.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Why would it be a bad idea to have a power back that converts short yardage situations into 1st downs and touchdowns and can also block to protect the qb?
It's better than not having one who can do that, but we can also acknowledge that signing a back who has averaged under 4.0 per carry the last two years is not progress.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
He's a great blocker and a strong short down option. You don't bring him in to get significant carries. At league minimum or close to it, he'd be an awesome guy to have to help groom whoever the new RB will be.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
Lol bases off what? Dowdle averaged 4.1 ypc and one less td on less carries, and why would anyone want to sign a rb that averages less than 4 ypc the last two years?
What did Pollard average before he took the starting gig? Remember when see let Emmett walk because his backup averaged something stupid? You don't bring him in to start. They're fools if they don't draft one high. You bring him in for experience and his useful skill set.

rambo2

Reaction score
Lol bases off what? Dowdle averaged 4.1 ypc and one less td on less carries, and why would anyone want to sign a rb that averages less than 4 ypc the last two years?
Because he will make 1st downs and touchdowns and protect the qb.

quickccc

Reaction score
At this point, that's probably who I'd get, but there could be a medical reason no one is signing him considering his injury history.
And doggins will miss a great portion of season at some point, which leans well be dollar tree hunting another off street vet band aid..with very JAG like impact.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The fact the Cowboys are open to the idea of reuniting with Zeke shows what a bad situation we’re in at RB. That’s like entertaining the idea of getting back together with an old girlfriend you dumped, who’s packed on a few pounds and doesn’t look near as attractive as she used to because you’re desperate. :confused:

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I'll simply venture a highly realistic guess that it's unlikely, at best, that Zeke Elliott will return as one of our designated RBs for the upcoming season.
If such an unlikely scenario were likely, I'm confident that we'll be well aware of it in advance. I really don't see that happening, in all honesty. The fact of the matter is that this year's situation with the Cowboys is desperately devoid of a complete group of players at the RB position. Whether or not this year's version of the Dallas offense is desperate enough to rehire Zeke, who has already seen far better days, is highly in doubt, imho. Stay tuned.

Last edited:

LysleE

Reaction score
Zeke was a beast in his prime, which has come and gone. He would be wasting a crucial roster spot, critical in a team with so many holes to fill.
I don’t get Dallas’ fascination with recycling players and coaches. They were not re-signed for a reason. Seems like a lazy way to address issues.

HappyOnions

Datwin
Reaction score
I'll take him back, what do we really have to lose?

Also, id like to see him have one more productive season ...a comeback season. Wishful thinking, I know....

Brooksey

Reaction score

Big_D

Reaction score
Of course Zeke is open to a reunion, not a single team is interested. lol it’s a clown show here. These are the garbage moves we’ve come to expect!

Xeven

Reaction score
Is it impossible for older backs to train hard enough to make a comeback?