News: ESPN: Cowboys make it too easy for opponents to take out Dez Bryant

Blake

Reaction score
This is why they are so good between the 20's. Throw short passes to Witten and Beasley, knowing they won't beat you. When they get in the red zone, they can't punch it in and settle for field goals. Playing not to lose, that's Garret's strategy, he's not trying to win. I'm glad the Dallas media is finally writing about it, I hope it continues. We have noticed how Garrett's offense takes Dez out of the game by design and been saying it for a long time.

It almost feels like calculated and deloberate sabatoge, what Garret is doing to this team scheme wise.

Craig

Reaction score
is it his job to offer a solution or the coaches?
If youre gonna whine about something, have a solution. The coach only needs to resolve a problem if he thinks there is one. He doesnt need to fix the problems that a guy on the internet percieves. Bryant only getting a few targets in one game isnt a problem. If he ends up with a total of 10 through 3 starts we can worry, but fan gripes dont equal real issues.

dfense

Reaction score
Maybe having one player occupy two defenders creates an advantage for other positions. Just a thought.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
I wonder why the Cowboys' answer to Dez Bryant being double covered is to throw it to the open guy. I understand the answer -- it makes sense. But why is it so easy, it seems, for defenses to take Bryant out of the game? He caught one pass for 8 yards against the Giants. He was targeted only five times. Garrett talked about the three scoring opportunities Bryant had, but those are low-percentage plays. Bryant makes more of those than most, but they're still not high-percentage plays. Why isn't the Cowboys' answer to double teams of Bryant to make it more difficult for him to be doubled? Without the benefit of seeing a replay of the full game, Antonio Brown caught eight passes for 126 yards and two scores for the Pittsburgh Steelers on Monday night. He was targeted 11 times. So were the Washington Commanders not trying to double Brown?

This is so satisfying to read. This is a question that's IMPOSSIBLE for Garrett to ask himself without admitting he's made mistakes in Dez's use in the past, and as we know, Garrett accepts no fault.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I'm not sure what offering solutions has to do with anything, unless you think Garrett and his staff cruise the Zone looking for coaching and strategy tips.
LOL good one , but you know maybe they should ??
I watched the aftergame with jg on youtube, and he said they did line dez up in the slot a few times, but I dont recall seeing that.
I would line him up in backfield too. but no matter he will have one guy on him, and the safety may still go where he goes.
but it would be harder for the defense.

I said last year that cowboys basically just paid 70 mil for a decoy wr.
So far that is about all he has been.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Jets #1 focus this week was stopping AJ Green and he lit them up. A team with Revis.
Yeah, but part of the problem is AJ may be better route runner and try harder than dez.
But I think JG is ok with Dez being a decoy, and that is a problem, you cant just pay him 70 mil and then he is just a decoy.

Shandy

Reaction score
New member here, long time reader. I have always wondered what Dez's role in this offense is. He is the most underutilized top receiver in the league. If I was Dez I would want out, his stats would explode on a team that knows how to properly use him. I know this sounds crazy, but we would be better off trading him for some top tier D lineman, especially since all Jerry wants is bargain WR's that no other team wants. We could just focus on having good Tight Ends and a great running game.

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
I'm just a fan, but why not sit Cole Beasley down on occasion, put Terrance on one side, Butler on the other, and Dez in the slot? It would give Dak a bigger target across the middle and give Dez a chance to pile up yardage after the catch.
because hes the white slot guy, NE has one. Just like the love affair with 2 TEs, NE does it.

If Belicheck put wifork at the x for 20 plays, we'd have one too

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
Yes, which is why Beasley caught 8 passes for a measly 65 yards.

If you polled 31 GMs, I have an educated guess that if they can get Witten and Beasley 60% of the targets and 10% to Dez, they would only be concerned about the 10%. They would also worry about the 5% to T Williams since he is a home run threat.

This isnt to say that Witten and Beasley are worthy of catches, but they are role players only. When you feature role players you have to be precise, make no mistakes, and have a low margin of error

reddyuta

Reaction score
Yes, which is why Beasley caught 8 passes for a measly 65 yards.

Beasley creates some mismatches but he is obviously very limited,he is too small and his YAC is not good either.I bet Dez would be a monster in the slot but we only see him one or twice in the whole game in the slot.Its harder to double guys thtat big in the slot but all this is too complicated for Garrett and Linehan.

gmoney112

Reaction score
They aren't doing enough. That's obvious.

Giants have a good defense, I imagine that front 4 will end up top 5 in the league when it's all said and done. Their secondary is going to be really good too. I don't know how they'll rank with those linebackers and if Collins progressed in coverage enough, but they're going to be a load to handle when they get going.

That being said, this is the NFL. You "take what the defense gives you", but that doesn't mean you just send Dez on go routes and throw it to the middle of the field every down. Every defense wants to take away the big play, every single one. And right now, defenses have a simple gameplan. Shade Dez, take away his GO route, keep the front 8 looking for run, and let us throw it to Beasley and Witten underneath in traffic, where they're very unlikely to make a big play, if they even catch it in contested traffic.

You have to find a way to get your play makers the ball. Whether it was because they wanted to play conservative and feel Dak out in a big game, wanted to reduce turnovers because of defense, whatever it was they simply weren't creative enough.

Every DCs goal is to take away the big play, don't let them dictate how they do it. Make them work for it. If they want to shade Dez, make it difficult for them. They want to do that, move him around, they may succeed but it also increases the chance of a busted coverage.

Throw out this conservative gameplan, throw some wrinkles in, do some things defenses won't expect. Give Dak a chance. If he goes awry, tighten the playbook then. But you gotta try, because the defense simply isn't half enough to carry us right now. Do whatever you can to get the ball in your play makers hands, and let them make a play.

It was only the first game against a good defense with a rookie QB. I still have hope.