News: ESPN - Cowboys paid $2.4m to settle 2015 cheerleaders' voyeurism allegations against Rich Dalrymple

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Im listening to the audio now. The reporter had a copy of the NDA... someone obviously broke the NDA and IMO should have to pay back whatever settlement they were given.

Congress recently passed something not allowing members of congress to get an NDA with someone if it involves sexual misconduct. NDA's are legal agreements to both parties of a civil action. If the terms of the NDA are not to someone's liking, they shouldnt sign the NDA.... ah, but the money... the money makes the NDA seem very nice at the time. Now years later, screw the NDA, here you go reporter.
The journalist isn't going to give up his source so whoever violated it is going to get away with it. In addition to the fact that the Cowboys are not going to pursue who broke it, because it goes against their self-interest to do that.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
The journalist isn't going to give up his source so whoever violated it is going to get away with it. In addition to the fact that the Cowboys are not going to pursue who broke it, because it goes against their self-interest to do that.

Absolutely it goes against their self interest. It would be the big bad Dallas Cowboys coming after this little guy.
But, giving details to that same reporter on whatever investigation they did or didnt do in regards to these allegations would also not be in their best interests, and thus the reason they didnt turn anything over.

Creeper

Reaction score
Again, this is all assuming that Cohen and HR really did as they said, and could NOT find that evidence. Totally possible that they settled because they did find something/cover it up. Who is to say.

And it's not as cut and dried as that. At-will doesn't just mean you can whimsically fire people because you feel like it. Not saying it's an easy case to settle, but Dalrymple would/could have come hard.

Who knows - after sleeping on it, I worry I've given the Cowboys a bit more of the benefit of the doubt than I should have. I believe them when they say they did investigate and took the allegations seriously, but it's not that hard to imagine that they worked with Dalrymple on a cover up of some kind and when the Cheerleaders lawyered up, realized that they either turn over evidence or pay up. I suppose it's good they updated security and took steps to ensure it didn't happen again in the future, but if they really didn't find anything on the phone, I feel like they could have fought settling.

Actually, "at will" employment means exactly that. You can fire anyone at any time for any reason or no reason, as long as you do not violate equal opportunity laws and any contracts do not prohibit it. Dalrymple, as far as I know, is not in any protected class so the Cowboys could fire him without cause or even for suspicion of cause. There is the possibility the Cowboys own personnel policies may require them to pay severance or not that is a different matter.

Of course Dalrymple could try to sue, but that would be really ugly for him if the Cowboys started parading DC cheerleaders in front of a judge or jury all claiming he is a perv.

https://www.ncsl.org/research/labor-and-employment/at-will-employment-overview.aspx

Reactions: BAT

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Im listening to the audio now. The reporter had a copy of the NDA... someone obviously broke the NDA and IMO should have to pay back whatever settlement they were given.

Congress recently passed something not allowing members of congress to get an NDA with someone if it involves sexual misconduct. NDA's are legal agreements to both parties of a civil action. If the terms of the NDA are not to someone's liking, they shouldnt sign the NDA.... ah, but the money... the money makes the NDA seem very nice at the time. Now years later, screw the NDA, here you go reporter.
I think you have to go back to the "former Cowboy Exec" that tipped the story to the reporter. You typically wouldn't tip off a story without something to back that tip.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
OK, so I call my shrink friend in Dallas about this and she said it is the talk of the town and I asked her about this war room incident because I find it really unbelievable that he could be that brazen with his boss' daughter with his boss sitting right there.

She laughed and said if he is a true voyeur, that would just add to the excitement level. She also told me it is not unusual for voyeurs to connect on the web and share photos and stories and if he truly had taken that photo, he would be a rock star voyeur to the rest of them. She doubted it because he would actually divulge who he was if he shared the details but she said there is no limit to obsessions when people are driven about them. She said if both of these stories are true, there is a lot more out there because these would not be isolated incidents.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think you have to go back to the "former Cowboy Exec" that tipped the story to the reporter. You typically wouldn't tip off a story without something to back that tip.
That is the most intriguing part of this story to me. What's the motive for the source? What is he/she after, the Cowboys or Dalrymple?

There certainly is no shortage of information leaked out of the Cowboys to ESPN. Seems to me not everyone is singing the company song, might be a couple just mouthing the words.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Let me lead with I didn't listen to the audio.

But to answer your point. Because they don't have to? It's no longer a criminal or civil matter. While this article brings a certain amount of intrigue, this incident occurred back in 2015-2016 and all parties have signed NDAs and pretty much moved on even if they didn't necessary like the results.

Why would the Cowboys rip the band aid off an old wound and shoot themselves in the foot? It looks bad in the court of public opinion, but legally the Cowboys aren't obligated to do anything unless forced to.

It depends on whether the story gets legs or not. Right now, it feels to be that there is the possibility that they DID find evidence of wrongdoing (either they found photos, or surveillance showed he was in there for more than 15 seconds) but covered it up and settled. In which case what an incredibly skeevy move. If they really did investigate and find nothing, then fair enough - good on them for the discipline et al.

Right now the only evidence the Cowboys have offered is that they said they investigated the matter and found nothing, just believe us, but still paid the settlement and let this guy stay around.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
That is the most intriguing part of this story to me. What's the motive for the source? What is he/she after, the Cowboys or Dalrymple?

There certainly is no shortage of information leaked out of the Cowboys to ESPN. Seems to me not everyone is singing the company song, might be a couple just mouthing the words.

Yeah, feels kind of like someone whistle-blew that the Cowboys covered up Rich Dalrymple being a perv.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Actually, "at will" employment means exactly that. You can fire anyone at any time for any reason or no reason, as long as you do not violate equal opportunity laws and any contracts do not prohibit it. Dalrymple, as far as I know, is not in any protected class so the Cowboys could fire him without cause or even for suspicion of cause. There is the possibility the Cowboys own personnel policies may require them to pay severance or not that is a different matter.

Of course Dalrymple could try to sue, but that would be really ugly for him if the Cowboys started parading DC cheerleaders in front of a judge or jury all claiming he is a perv.

https://www.ncsl.org/research/labor-and-employment/at-will-employment-overview.aspx
:bow: Totally agree... "Creeper" has spoken.

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score
This year the Cowboys will be active in freeagency just to draw attention away from this. Just watch.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It depends on this war room incident because that seems to be getting a lot more play and the guys on 105.3 said the same.

Booger is this family guy, all about his family, and he would allow Dalrymple to hang around after pulling something like that?

On the other side of that is it was fact Dalrymple's #1 job was getting Booger in the HOF during that time period and there's always question of how much does Dalrymple know about Booger's personal life that could be damaging?

The one thing that still hangs around about this is Dalrymple is considered one of the best at what he does in sports and is with the team for 32 years and nothing is said by the Joneses or team about his sudden retirement announcement? That does not make sense to me. He is part of the extended family, he's Tom Hayden.

Sounds like to me some deal might have been made between Booger and Dalrymple, just the two of them, and he would step down at a future date or if this should ever become news, which it has. And the timeline of ESPN questioning the cheerleaders' attys and Wilkinson getting involved coincides with Dalrymple's sudden desire to go fishing.

True or not, it's marvelous because it is most assuredly making Booger really uncomfortable and his daughter shifting nervously in her seat, which I would not recommend with ole Mr. SnapClick hanging around.

Reactions: BAT

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
It depends on this war room incident because that seems to be getting a lot more play and the guys on 105.3 said the same.

Booger is this family guy, all about his family, and he would allow Dalrymple to hang around after pulling something like that?

On the other side of that is it was fact Dalrymple's #1 job was getting Booger in the HOF during that time period and there's always question of how much does Dalrymple know about Booger's personal life that could be damaging?

The one thing that still hangs around about this is Dalrymple is considered one of the best at what he does in sports and is with the team for 32 years and nothing is said by the Joneses or team about his sudden retirement announcement? That does not make sense to me. He is part of the extended family, he's Tom Hayden.

Sounds like to me some deal might have been made between Booger and Dalrymple, just the two of them, and he would step down at a future date or if this should ever become news, which it has. And the timeline of ESPN questioning the cheerleaders' attys and Wilkinson getting involved coincides with Dalrymple's sudden desire to go fishing.

True or not, it's marvelous because it is most assuredly making Booger really uncomfortable and his daughter shifting nervously in her seat, which I would not recommend with ole Mr. SnapClick hanging around.

I don't really buy the Charlotte Jones thing. Someone posted pictures from a tweet in this thread and it was not compelling evidence.

But the Cheerleader thing does smell like a cover up. I hope I'm wrong, but it looks like he got caught, cashed all his 25 years (at the time) chips of helping the organization to save himself, was told never again and if this comes out, you're out, but got allowed to stay.

If they believed for a second he was in the locker room with bad intentions, he should have been fired without a hesitation, regardless of his ability as a fixer.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't really buy the Charlotte Jones thing. Someone posted pictures from a tweet in this thread and it was not compelling evidence.

But the Cheerleader thing does smell like a cover up. I hope I'm wrong, but it looks like he got caught, cashed all his 25 years (at the time) chips of helping the organization to save himself, was told never again and if this comes out, you're out, but got allowed to stay.

If they believed for a second he was in the locker room with bad intentions, he should have been fired without a hesitation, regardless of his ability as a fixer.
All comes down to what he knows about Booger. The word "confident" has been used to describe his relationship with his boss.

The cheerleader thing is one thing but taking a squirrel shot of Booger's daughter? Ewwwwww.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One thing for sure, I am going to be a lot more interested in what goes on in that war room this time. Might have to depend on Booger's daughter for a selfie this time.

MajesticRey

Reaction score
Whenever I see settlements, I immediately think that the “victims” were just looking for a payday.

I know that’s not always the case, but wouldn’t you rather see someone brought to justice?

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Whenever I see settlements, I immediately think that the “victims” were just looking for a payday.

I know that’s not always the case, but wouldn’t you rather see someone brought to justice?

I mean, honestly? Not really. If I caught someone taking photos of me naked w/o my consent, yeah, I want to see justice, but half a million dollars would feel like justice to me. In a perfect world, I'd both get my money and the person taking the photos would be tossed as well.

Reid1boys

Reaction score

bahahahhhaahhahahaahahahah..... those cheerleaders are cheerleaders BECAUSE people want to look at them. You ever seen a 200lbs Cowboys Cheerleader? Im sure they were emotionally distraught that a man was trying to check them out changing... so, give mee 500k and ill be quiet or let get me get JUSTICE in the form of the scum guy peeping tom getting a misdemeanor???? I wonder which one the publicity seeking cheerleader would choose?

MajesticRey

Reaction score
I mean, honestly? Not really. If I caught someone taking photos of me naked w/o my consent, yeah, I want to see justice, but half a million dollars would feel like justice to me. In a perfect world, I'd both get my money and the person taking the photos would be tossed as well.
Is it confirmed he actually took pictures? It’s all alleged, and with this settlement you will never know. In the eyes of the law, he’s completely innocent.

I’m not defending the guy, as it’s pretty much confirmed he walked into the locker room as a Peeping Tom. However there are tons of stories of people exploiting people that have tons of money - and if they truly felt violated they probably would have pursued charges.