News: ESPN: Dak not fretting on deal: 'I don't play for money'

Proof

Reaction score
"I don't play for money but won't play unless I get the money I want."

He is so fake.
what would you say was the most fairly negotiated deal in the league? mahomes obviously jumps to mind but that’s mostly because his value is so outsized. i’d be curious the best deal constructed at the moment and not due to how it played out. i really hate that agents are by nature there to push for the absolute most.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
I cannot confirm if Dak said this without laughing.

I dont think he really had the goal to play qb for the money.

He always was aware of the talent you need for that position and he just does not have.
So his goal was and is to establish a brand and sell everything else he has: the stories of the death of his mother, brother, his self advertised depression etc.. blabla...

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
A guy who doesn't play for money doesn't hold out on contract negotiations.

I'm OK w/ it if someone plays for the money, but man up and be truthful.
He’s not holding out. He’s at OTAs right now. Ceedee and Micah are holding out.

Flamma

Reaction score
OK. Then take less and ask Jerry spend the savings on some quality FAs to help us win.
You're spot on. It's pretty pointless to take less when it wouldn't help the team.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
OK. Then take less and ask Jerry spend the savings on some quality FAs to help us win.
Indeed, and a better optic would be....."I dont play for money.... I want to win, I want to play for a winner and will do whatever that takes" or even turn the narrative, "i'm now in the market to win and will accept offers from teams that have a plan".

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you really think about it his statement is a plea to Jerry that he will take less money to remain a Cowboy.
Desperate times for Prestrash as NO offer has been made from the F/O and he is now begging to stay QB for America's team.
No Jerry not for 1 $ as this is a trash QB who needs to be carried weekly and you other players are sick of Dak and his needy ways.
Just ask CD Mama or for example, how the defense simply gave up after they saw once again the Deer in the Headlights look in the 1st Q of the GB debacle.

plymkr

Reaction score
Agreed, but just like Jerry's "all in" can come with a few different definitions and will be repeated by fans every chance they get I get the feeling so will this. Part of the fan base will be expecting a discount from this comment, another part of the fan base will repeat it every chance that it's given to them to use it as an easy one liner. It certainly gives the anti Dak crowd some ammunition.

I get what he was trying to say here, but being a Cowboy up for a new mega contract every word out of his mouth gets magnified 10x. Had he said what he said minus the "I don't play for money" it's probably not a multi page thread right now.
Exactly. He should have stopped at “I’m not worried about that right now”. It was poor judgement to keep talking after that.

One of my first reactions is in 2020 he was offered, at the time, the richest contract in NFL history and turned it down because it was a 5 year deal. How can you say you don’t play for money when you were offered that deal but turned it down so you can get another deal a season sooner? Then he played hardball with Jerry, took a very team unfriendly contract, and now he’s saying he doesn’t play for money. And he’s this great leader. Whatever

plymkr

Reaction score
Yeah even if he won a ring. Realistically they are probably the minority. I think a lot just want him being to get to a SB or move on. Which is understandable.
I feel this past playoffs if he had a better showing, me personally I would feel better about him and not stressing about the possible extension. Dak can’t play defense and the defense blew it but at the same time Dak blew it.

I remember in 94 NFCCG when we fell behind 21-0 to the 49ers. Aikman’s body language, effort, accuracy, etc all was there. After the 21-0 start Aikman and Irvin balled out. Easily one of the top 5 games they played together. In fact both Aikman and Irvin said the game they were most proud of was that NFCCG loss because they refused to give up. They just ran out of time.

For me, if Dak would have played like Aikman did then my opinion would be different. You learn more about your QB during losses. When Dak took the field after going down 7-0, it was over. You could see it in his eyes, body language, and play.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I feel this past playoffs if he had a better showing, me personally I would feel better about him and not stressing about the possible extension. Dak can’t play defense and the defense blew it but at the same time Dak blew it.
Yep, the restructuring of the last deal (and knowing that the Void Years have to be accounted for in 2025) indicated an extension was virtually guaranteed.

That GB game has certainly spooked Jerry as to how he pays Dak (CeeDee, Micah) and afford to upgrade a defense that can keep Dak in a game.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Much like most NFL players did when I was growing up played for basically nothing , it was a part time job, I think many of these athletes would play for nothing.

They’d need regular jobs in the offseason and might not play as long a career but it’s their passion to play the game all through school which drives them. The huge Hollywood money has become an excellent benefit.

But it’s only a few players on each team which earn mega millions. About 80% of players earn about a million or less per season which isn’t more than many top paid professionals out in the workplace which don’t have to place their body’s in harms way.

NFL careers average is only about 4 years which means most players aren’t set for life. It’s important to put this all in perspective as unfortunately it’s usually only the high profile and paid athletes garner all the attention.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

I remember in 94 NFCCG when we fell behind 21-0 to the 49ers. Aikman’s body language, effort, accuracy, etc all was there. After the 21-0 start Aikman and Irvin balled out. Easily one of the top 5 games they played together. In fact both Aikman and Irvin said the game they were most proud of was that NFCCG loss because they refused to give up. They just ran out of time.

For me, if Dak would have played like Aikman did then my opinion would be different. You learn more about your QB during losses. When Dak took the field after going down 7-0, it was over. You could see it in his eyes, body language, and play.
Yeah it was on his face for sure. Dak face definitely showed up when down.

GuitarBytes

Reaction score
What Dak meant, I don't play for money, my agent is the one who asks for the money, he only gives me 5 dollars, I play so that my agent can be a millionaire, I don't know where are those 50 MD, but they do want me to sign a new contract they have to pay me whatever my agent asks for, it's for him, so he can be rich, I only want 5 dollars

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wonder if most of the cash he's collected is buried in the endzone of that football field of his????:muttley:
When it comes to SAUCE man Dakster is the KING baby!!!
Cancer Ward anyone?????