ESPN Dallas: Pearson: Bryant showed 'T.O.-type emotion'...w/audio | video/post #39

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Nirvana;3721861 said:
Look at the video again at the 2 minute mark. Watch the body language. If he is upset about the penalty, why is his rage not directed at the official? Why are people pulling him off Sherman? Why does Sherman and Bryant later hug, as if making up? Observe these things without a fixed opinion that he is simply upset about a penalty.

[youtube]id2z3EmQlpM&[/youtube]

So basically, your guessing what he was mad about...isnt that what I said before?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
percyhoward;3721958 said:
(According to the rules, the offense must have 7 on the line of scrimmage.)

Dez needs to know where he's supposed to line up. The penalty was called for two guys moving at the same time because Miles was in motion when Dez took a half step forward. Dez took that half step because either he realized too late that he had to be on the line of scrimmage for that play, or he was confused about where the line of scrimmage was.

Watch the vid of the penalty in post#64. Curiously, just before Dez moves, he looks at the line judge (the guy who threw the flag two seconds later) and points at the sticks. Twice. Unless the line judge is trying to communicate something to him, I have no idea why he's looking outside instead of looking inside at the football. It's like he's trying to tell the chain crew that the LOS marker is in the wrong place or something. In any case, he's extremely unsure of where's he's supposed be standing, and he probably could've just stayed where he was without a penalty, based on how the other receivers were lining up in the game.

In Dez's defense though, the officials were not consistent with this penalty.

At 0:16 of hairic's video that follows (from early 3rd quarter) Dez does exactly the same thing--only in reverse--while lined up on the other side of the field, but no penalty is called. Since Miles is at the LOS, Dez has to back off one yard to avoid a penalty. Watch Dez look toward the sideline again as he backs up. Notice that while Dez is stepping back, Witten is also moving. This is the same official who was looking right at all of this and kept the flag in his pocket.

[youtubehd]LTctyq9_txQ&hd=1[/youtubehd]
It is very common for wide receivers from high school up to ask the line judge or head linesman (depending whether they are either lined up left or right of the line of scrimmage) if they are "lined up okay". It is not the referee's responsibility to tell a player if they are position correctly. However, they often do so as a very understood and common courtesy.

This is one of the pre-snap items which I try to always look for during games, along with primarily trying to spot whether the offensive tackle(s) back foot and/or body is slanted WAY off the LOS (Flozell Adams used to kill me with how far back positioned himself to ward off blitzers); movement from any of the offensive linemen, proper shifting by receivers or running backs; offsides by either set of linemen and/or stunting linebackers; and checking for how many players of either set are on the field (which catches me offguard at times since it does not happen often).

The reason why I mentioned all that is because the line refs are also trying to scan all of the above too. In my opinion (since I have never read or heard a ref talk about it before), some refs do not wish to be bothered by what a player is unsure of and will not acknowledge them. Or they have assisted a player during the game already, gotten tired of repeating themselves and ignore a player as the game progresses.

This is what I am assuming may have led to the penalty. One can clearly see Bryant point twice at the head linesmen while repositioning himself. There is no way of knowing how or if the ref responded to Bryant's request of whether he was okay or not, but his shuffling up to the LOS just before the snap makes me believe that the ref did not acknowledge Bryant.

I have seen that scene play out way too often in the past. It is one of the things which pisses of receivers, even though it is their responsibility to know where they are positioned. Still, as I mentioned before, it is a common courtesy extended by side refs and should make folks understand his reaction much better. Not condone necessarily, but understand.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nirvana;3721861 said:
Look at the video again at the 2 minute mark. Watch the body language. If he is upset about the penalty, why is his rage not directed at the official? Why are people pulling him off Sherman? Why does Sherman and Bryant later hug, as if making up? Observe these things without a fixed opinion that he is simply upset about a penalty.

[youtube]id2z3EmQlpM&[/youtube]
Since I personally reviewed, edited and uploaded the very video you're referring to, I have to disagree with you totally about the bold statement. Everyone surrounding Bryant, including Sherman, were trying to calm him down while explaining to him why the penalty happened.

Sherman is his receivers coach and it is the receivers coach responsibility to question and advise his players why things happen so that they will avoid repeating mistakes in the future. Combine that fact with Bryant's obvious anger over the situation and it's not really hard to interpret how that scene played out. Of course, that's just my two cents. :)

STSINAZ

Reaction score
i agree with drew...i am worried about Dez...this is not a trait that most rookies have that will go away "because he is a rookie".....he needs to be dealt with and dealt with now or THIS WILL come back to haunt us again....i say again because they forced the ball to him a few times at the end of the game...i would rather have forced it into a vet who knows his routes...i think dez is reading his own pressclippings...

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
DallasEast;3722000 said:
It is very common for wide receivers from high school up to ask the line judge or head linesman (depending whether they are either lined up left or right of the line of scrimmage) if they are "lined up okay". It is not the referee's responsibility to tell a player if they are position correctly. However, they often do so as a very understood and common courtesy.
Thanks for the insight DE. I take it you have done some officiating? There is no doubt, then, that Dez is trying to check with the line judge to see if he is lined up right.

And that is the same official who let him get away with the exact same penalty on the first play from scrimmage of the 3rd quarter :)16 of hairic's video in my post above). In the NFL, the head linesman and line judge don't switch sides of the field. So that's the same guy looking at the same infraction, and calling it two different ways.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
Nirvana;3721841 said:
I know he was upset about the penalty but that in my opinion was only part of it. He was yelling for the ball, etc. also.

I think for some of us we saw a red flag with that display. It's something that will either get nipped in the bud, or could get worse. His scouting reports said this was a negative and a concern going into the draft.

At the end of the day I'm glad he is on the team, no question. It's just something to keep an eye on. It reminded me of T.O. as well.

Passion is one thing. Screaming and putting on a tantrum on the sidelines, with Kitna then forcing the ball to him and killing a drive, is another.

this I agree with and how I saw it. That also reminded me a little of T.O. we will see how the coaching staff handles it.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Much ado about nothing. Dez is visibly upset because a) he wants to win, and b) he asked the line judge twice if he was set, just like above, it's not the line judge's responsibility to tell the WR if he is lined up incorrectly, but when asked, it's generally a common courtesy that they'll nod their head to let them know they're okay. Dez checked twice, and the line judge still threw the flag...kind of messed up if you ask me.

All his teammates, Witten included, were patting him on the shoulder basically saying it's okay - no worries, we'll get em, etc.

People trying to blow this up as some sort of TO style affair are out of their minds. Dez is upset because of the call - not because he wasn't getting passes, not because he didn't record a stat, none of that. He was mad because the ref negated the big run by Barber - anyone that thinks he's being a diva is just dumb. He was nodding his head excitedly after Barber tore off the run.

Dez doesn't care about stats, he just wants to win.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
superonyx;3721787 said:
It was very clear that he was upset over the penalty. Especially after watching it again. It had nothing to do with getting the ball more.

I wish we had more guys that expected perfection from themselves like Bryant does.

I really didnt like to hear Troy and Joe buck making an assumption about him and calling him a Diva. Was it that hard to see he was upset over the penalty call?

No, it was not hard. Immediately after they said it was on #88, he was in the side judge's face.

How anyone is trying to spin this into a "diva WR" story is beyond comprehension by a rational human being.

But -- this being the Dallas Cowboys, it doesn't surprise me. Dez could have been yelling that he didn't want mayonnaise on his sandwich before the game and they'd say that he was upset because when he does have mayonnaise he gets more balls his way, etc. etc.

The media, and some "fans" are a joke.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
percyhoward;3722036 said:
Thanks for the insight DE. I take it you have done some officiating? There is no doubt, then, that Dez is trying to check with the line judge to see if he is lined up right.

And that is the same official who let him get away with the exact same penalty on the first play from scrimmage of the 3rd quarter :)16 of hairic's video in my post above). In the NFL, the head linesman and line judge don't switch sides of the field. So that's the same guy looking at the same infraction, and calling it two different ways.
Me? A ref?? No thank you. Those guys do not get enough love--and usually it's because of guff from me. :D

No, my base is playing high school football and my understanding is from watching what the refs look for then and over the years. It helps calm me when I see those cute little yellow flags flying around like dirty laundry. :)

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
casmith07;3722049 said:
Dez checked twice, and the line judge still threw the flag...kind of messed up if you ask me.
I think it's messed up that he saw the same play earlier when we were down by two touchdowns, but didn't decide to throw a flag until the fourth, when we were driving to take the lead.

Selective officiating.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
percyhoward;3722076 said:
I think it's messed up that he saw the same play earlier when we were down by two touchdowns, but didn't decide to throw a flag until the fourth, when we were driving to take the lead.

Selective officiating.

I agree.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
percyhoward;3722076 said:

Selective officiating.
Yep. The one thing I always try to remember is that referees are not automatons. Robots would give you the same call every time.

Refs? They are just as human as the rest of us. They miss calls and their emotions can sometimes influence how they interpret fouls.

Hoods

Reaction score
DallasEast;3722085 said:
Yep. The one thing I always try to remember is that referees are not automatons. Robots would give you the same call every time.

Refs? They are just as human as the rest of us. They miss calls and their emotions can sometimes influence how they interpret fouls.

That does not excuse anything.

LUVDABOYS

Reaction score
ChldsPlay;3721377 said:
I have no problem with a player being upset if he feels he can help the team win but the team isn't taking advantage of it. Irvin did it, T.O. did it, Emmitt did it and so did most really great skill position players. I will never fault a player for caring and wanting to help the team.
This! :hammer:

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Did Drew make these keen observations when Irvin was doing the same?

Dez is fine.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
DallasEast;3722000 said:

This is one of the pre-snap items which I try to always look for during games, along with primarily trying to spot whether the offensive tackle(s) back foot and/or body is slanted WAY off the LOS (Flozell Adams used to kill me with how far back positioned himself to ward off blitzers); movement from any of the offensive linemen, proper shifting by receivers or running backs; offsides by either set of linemen and/or stunting linebackers; and checking for how many players of either set are on the field (which catches me offguard at times since it does not happen often).

The reason why I mentioned all that is because the line refs are also trying to scan all of the above too. In my opinion (since I have never read or heard a ref talk about it before), some refs do not wish to be bothered by what a player is unsure of and will not acknowledge them. Or they have assisted a player during the game already, gotten tired of repeating themselves and ignore a player as the game progresses.

This is what I am assuming may have led to the penalty. One can clearly see Bryant point twice at the head linesmen while repositioning himself. There is no way of knowing how or if the ref responded to Bryant's request of whether he was okay or not, but his shuffling up to the LOS just before the snap makes me believe that the ref did not acknowledge Bryant.

I have seen that scene play out way too often in the past. It is one of the things which pisses of receivers, even though it is their responsibility to know where they are positioned. Still, as I mentioned before, it is a common courtesy extended by side refs and should make folks understand his reaction much better. Not condone necessarily, but understand.
Excellent post. Well stated.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
rocyaice;3722096 said:
The scary thing is TO wasn't even TO his rookie year. Dez needs some humbling and QUICK.

Dez will be fine man... Have some dezcorn. It's very scrumptious and relaxing.