News: ESPN: Jones won't rule out Dez returning to Cowboys

ksadler1

Reaction score
How is that. Jerry is the GM? How do you know if Jerry is forcing anything? I'm pretty sure that Jerry was asked the question and he responded. Did you expect him to answer that I need to clear it with my HC before I answer? People make a lot of assumptions....

You can't "expect" Jerry to do anything. What l would like to see is Jerry keep his mouth shut and refer this to his HC, who should be in charge of his team. After the past 25 years does it really surprise you that people make assumptions about Jerry? If it does, you haven't been paying attention...

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's not the coaching staff's fault that Dez threw temper tantrums and lacked enough grey matter to grasp simple route concepts. The nostalgia that our idiot fans have for washed up players is partly responsible for holding this franchise back.

With Dez it is temper tantrums but with any other player it is passion?
Are you DLaw? Blaming the fans? Last time I knew the fans did not make the game plans or on field decisions.
:laugh:

Blake

Reaction score
Get ready for the (fans) rooting against Dez just to be right. Losers

We're already right. Anyone that roots for this washed up manchild with a 10 cent brain is already a loser. Guess what? A new sheriff is in town and all these has beens of yesteryear that keep the franchise in the dark ages and that you snowflake fans desperately cling onto are history.

Blake

Reaction score
With Dez it is temper tantrums but with any other player it is passion?
Are you DLaw? Blaming the fans? Last time I knew the fans did not make the game plans or on field decisions.
:laugh:

Last time I knew that Dez didn't make time to study the gameplan, or you know routes. He's was as intellectually lazy as he is dumb.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Dez was part of the problem. He wasn't the same WR he was prior to his injuries starting to take a toll on his body. And now he's been out of football for over a year and is coming off an achilles tear.

You guys realize you aren't getting Dez from 2011 back, right? He's not the same WR.

And if this franchise thinks he's anything more than a #3 WR on this team, at best, then they are dumb.

Bring him in for a workout. But don't delude oneself into thinking it's going to result in anything than a body for WR depth.
With how deep the draft appears to be with WR's, we could get a really good WR in day two.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
I'd hate to see it happen but it would be kind of funny if McCarthy threatened to resign over this..............Jerry is such a dumbazz

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Last time I knew that Dez didn't make time to study the gameplan, or you know routes. He's was as intellectually lazy as he is dumb.

Link from the coaching staff saying this?
As usual it is fan / media driven BS.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
Even if he did think about the idea in his shower why share it? who cares where and how the idea does come about.... it was all over the news that Dez wanting to be here.what
How about MM? is he on it too or just he will rubber stamp it?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I have no problem with giving him a shot to win the third receiver spot.

If only we took this approach at QB. I mean, it's just baffling to me how the team and really the fan base can take the view of allowing competition like this and yet, where QB is concerned. We are so afraid of it, we will only carry a backup who can't even take a snap in a game when your QB is so obviously hurt that he can't complete simple short passes in a win or go home type game. Boggles the mind.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

And to be clear, I am not for bringing Dez back, nor Witten. But I will not whine and complain if either one or both happens.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Jerry already undercutting McCarthy? I didn't think he could stick to it.............Dez already causing problems and he's not even on the team.

And yet you have people bellyaching about how we don't have Patrick Mahomes under center or how much Zeke got paid. Seriously, when you have jerry as GM making terrible decisions how do you expect to win?

superonyx

Reaction score
This is EXACTLY the reason why this team has been the way it has been since Jimmy left. This should be MM's decision, not Jerry's. Once more, Jerry is undermining his HC. If Jerry forces Dez on MM there will no question that things area going to be status quo in the organization.

For the record, I have no problem with Dez getting a try-out as long as MM feels he deserves one and Jerry respects MM's decision either way...
Oh.. I thought Jerry was the GM of the Cowboys?
Aren't player signings and acquisition the job of GM's?

superonyx

Reaction score
So in other words we are going to waste a roster spot for Dez.
Why do I feel that Dez Bryant at 31 has more to offer the Cowboys than Jon'Vea Johnson does?
Let the best players earn their roster spots no matter how the anti Dez crowd feels triggered.

kskboys

Reaction score
Why do I feel that Dez Bryant at 31 has more to offer the Cowboys than Jon'Vea Johnson does?
Let the best players earn their roster spots no matter how the anti Dez crowd feels triggered.
If Dez can earn his spot and has truly changed his attitude, I'm fine w/ bringing him in.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
If only we took this approach at QB. I mean, it's just baffling to me how the team and really the fan base can take the view of allowing competition like this and yet, where QB is concerned. We are so afraid of it, we will only carry a backup who can't even take a snap in a game when your QB is so obviously hurt that he can't complete simple short passes in a win or go home type game. Boggles the mind.
Bringing in significant competition at a position you are trying to extend and consider a franchise player would be too costly.

As far as Dez goes, what competition would he bring? He's Tweeting "training" videos with neighborhood kids covering him while he illustrates he still can't run crisp routes. Who's spot would he even threaten?

superonyx

Reaction score
No he hasn’t. Walking out of the door cursing the team and it’s players and coaching staff isn’t earning a workout. I think he should have one but he definitely hasn’t earned it .
Some would argue that being only 31 and being the teams all time TD leader and multi pro bowl player is enough to earn it.
This is a roster that lacks end zone play makers. If Dez is in shape he instantly would be the best jump ball threat on the roster and it isnt even close.

These guys play a violent emotional sport. Anyone who can't accept a person saying mean things can fill out a hurt feelings report and pack his bags.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Bringing in significant competition at a position you are trying to extend and consider a franchise player would be too costly.

As far as Dez goes, what competition would he bring? He's Tweeting "training" videos with neighborhood kids covering him while he illustrates he still can't run crisp routes. Who's spot would he even threaten?

Based on what? We went home for the playoffs because we took this approach. Is it also too costly for a chance at the playoffs? I don't buy it. We had over 11 million in carry over in 2019. We were only paying a little over 2 mil for our starter. If we can't afford to pay a decent backup, as you suggest here, then we are doing something very wrong.

Bottom line is that we still have no valid option at backup so your going to have to address that problem either way. If what you suggest is true, then you better get used to the wildcat because all this approach accomplishes is providing Dak's agent with 100% leverage, as opposed to 0 leverage and opens us up to the same shortcomings that sunk our season last year IMO.

ksadler1

Reaction score
Oh.. I thought Jerry was the GM of the Cowboys?
Aren't player signings and acquisition the job of GM's?

Yes, Jerry has role in signing players. I never said he didn't. What l said was Jerry needs to quit meddling and forcing players on his HC if things with team are going to change. If MM feels Dez deserves a tryout, then so be it. But Jerry needs to let MM make that decision...