ESPN: Kiper's A Grade for Cowboys in 2010

Reaction score
Former Florida State Safety and Rhodes Scholar Myron Rolle would be an awesome draft pick. Saw a clip of him in Senior Bowl practice. He was a top DB but decided to skip the draft and focus on his studies.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I think we need a real speed guy. I have thought this for years but it doesn't matter if you can't give time to the QB. The game against the Vikes is a very good example of that IMO. We didn't do what we needed to in order to win that game but a lot of that is because we were not strong up front. We needed to neutralize their pass rush. We could not do that. I believe we should start looking at OL. I would like to see two quality OLs taking in this draft.

Thatkidbob

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;3256431 said:
I think we need a real speed guy. I have thought this for years but it doesn't matter if you can't give time to the QB. The game against the Vikes is a very good example of that IMO. We didn't do what we needed to in order to win that game but a lot of that is because we were not strong up front. We needed to neutralize their pass rush. We could not do that. I believe we should start looking at OL. I would like to see two quality OLs taking in this draft.
Deep plays wouldn't have neutralized their pass rush... They were getting tons of pressure with their front 4.

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
Thatkidbob;3256456 said:
Deep plays wouldn't have neutralized their pass rush... They were getting tons of pressure with their front 4.

You guys are using ONE GAME to base the draft on. The Cowboys moved the ball until Flozel got hurt. Cowboys can pass protect...they need guys other than Austin to get open. You can draft OL, but there is still years of development and with Jerrys history, it will probably be a wasted pick.

Monster Heel

Benched
Reaction score
Everlastingxxx;3256467 said:
You guys are using ONE GAME to base the draft on. The Cowboys moved the ball until Flozel got hurt. Cowboys can pass protect...they need guys other than Austin to get open. You can draft OL, but there is still years of development and with Jerrys history, it will probably be a wasted pick.

They were moving the ball, but Romo was still getting popped. Marc Columbo, specifically, was a turnstile. This wasn't the only game the OL got whipped in either. With the exception of the games against the Giants, in losses our OL did a lackluster job. This is especially true of the games with Green Bay and Denver. I'm tired of seeing Romo get pounded into the ground when the Houdini act the OL forces him to go through goes sour.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
AdamJT13;3256412 said:
To me, he looks like a brawler. But he just plays so high and gets no leverage.

Hes still raw, started plating at 14 and barely knew English.

(Hate the hair though)

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Kiper's next mock in a week will have with entirely different names so it's best not to get too hot or cold on this list.

the OL: There are clips out that have them looking great and ones where they look pretty average. Not sure any of these guys is LT material but as a RT I think they'd emerge pretty quickly.

Iupati is interesting because he's had next to no technique training. Guys like that have a lot mote potential than guys who have been in world-class weight training programs and had top OL coaches for 3 or 4 years.

Campbell is really long and lean. He could use some more weight and strength. Right now he looks like Flozell's skinny little brother. He's about 40 pounds lighter than Flo.

Safety: Look I am done getting worked up at Safety. If we cut Hamlin we cut Hamlina nd move on but Safety isn't a huge need. We re-sign Sensabaugh and then play Alan Ball if we must and start to work in Mike Hamlin.

WR: Look, 3rd round WRs are probably not gonna help us much. I really appreciate Jordan Shipley but the guy had a lifetime career at UT and is too old to get drafted early. I'd say r4 at earliest for him. He is a one contract guy. He had that lifetime career because of some nasty injuries.

Taylor Mays: That guy is plain awful. If we draft him in r3 I'd I'd be mad. He's RW31 all over again except now the rules are in place against those guys. He is plain awful. The Pac 10 had 10 better safeties than that dude. He was a big part of that USC defense falling apart as he covered no one all year.

If you want a safety Earl Thomas is your guy but he's gonna go early because this safety class is weak.

I am really hopeful Wahington/Philly/NYG drafts Taylor Mays. If they do Miles Austin can go put a down payment on a new mansion because he's gonna torch that dude mercilessly.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Thatkidbob;3256456 said:

I never said deep plays would or would not have neutralized their pass. I said we need a speed WR but we need OL help much more.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

I guess I don't agree with this post. We have had issues on the OL all year. We have had issues going back for several years. Adams is not young and he is a liability with smaller, speed rushers. He has entirely too many penalties and we are in need of deep in any case. As a clear point of fact, all one has to do is look back at the games where Kosier was injured. No, this is not based on one game. At the beginning of the season, I said we would go as far as our OL would take us. I saw nothing this season that would indicate to me that this observation was wrong.

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score

Not for me. Min sticks in our collective mind for sure, but there's more to this.

I'm not saying we must replace or upgrade even one OL starter for 2010. But we do need more quality options in case of injury.

The injuries will almost certainly happen given our OL's collective age. And since we're probably turning over the entire unit within 4 years, we might as well draft a few of those replacements ASAP.

We probably end up with 13 or 14 lineman on the 80 man roster.
We should plan for 9 lineman on the final 53.
When you consider the probability of losing a guy or two through the OTAs and traing camp, you need to think about having 12 quality/legit options on the 80 man roster.

I want to see us with a real tough choice on who #9 will be. We so badly need 4 good options behind our starting 5.

Free is one of those 4. Brewster may be another, but we don't know. We need two 1st day OL picks and at least one veteran FA who had started in this league.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;3256531 said:
I never said deep plays would or would not have neutralized their pass. I said we need a speed WR but we need OL help much more.

Not sure this offense is built for speedsters at WR. It seems more in tune to big WRs who can go across the middle and break tackles or to sit down in zones. Speed does kill though and Ogletree has plenty of it. He seems to fit because he is a speedster who runs sharp routes.

There is no neutralizing a pass rush when you don't bother to block them. When we couldn't even get blocks long enough for screens, that pretty darn ridiculous. We just had an abysmal day along the OL and you lose those games.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
jterrell;3256546 said:
Not sure this offense is built for speedsters at WR. It seems more in tune to big WRs who can go across the middle and break tackles or to sit down in zones. Speed does kill though and Ogletree has plenty of it. He seems to fit because he is a speedster who runs sharp routes.

It is possible. We do have a serious profiling issue at the position, at least in those we sign, trade or draft. That could be Jones. It could be the scouts. We have a preference for 6-foot plus receivers with bigger frames and it always has appeared that way. There was a brief break from it with the Galloway trade, but everyone else has been big and strong as opposed to smaller and faster.

We did heavily scout the likes of Eddie Royal and Greg Jennings in recent years. For all we know, we might want that type, but can never make it a priority. I might be mistaken, but I seem to recall Garrett in particular liked Royal a good deal.

baj1dallas

Reaction score
Unless some top 20 type tackle falls, I don't see the 'Boys reaching for one in the first. They don't need somebody that badly. They've drafted and developed guys for years now, if they don't think any of them will pan out, I don't know that Bruce Campbell is any better. He sure as hell doesn't look like a guy that will beat out anybody on the team this season. If they can find one starter, either a guard or defensive player in the first, they need to do that and then focus on developmental types later. I liked what Shipley did at Texas, but I'm not sure he'll be as good on special teams as Hurd, if they go WR, they need somebody with speed that can also play ST.

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
Monster Heel;3256486 said:
They were moving the ball, but Romo was still getting popped. Marc Columbo, specifically, was a turnstile. This wasn't the only game the OL got whipped in either. With the exception of the games against the Giants, in losses our OL did a lackluster job. This is especially true of the games with Green Bay and Denver. I'm tired of seeing Romo get pounded into the ground when the Houdini act the OL forces him to go through goes sour.

Columbo was coming off a broken leg. Green Bay game...you are putting Wittens whiff on the OL too? How about Roys big fumble? And Free was playing in his spot. As for Denver, alot of tackles have had problems with Dumervil...so good luck finding tackles in the draft that can completely stop him. I find it interesting that the OL gets blamed for the TEs, Fullbacks not blocking well.

No doubt the Cowboys OL needs some youth...but they are not as bad as they are being made out to be...and the WR position is worse than many think. Romo needs more weapons.

juck

Reaction score
utrunner07;3256383 said:
some members here are going to be thrilled with that 1st name in round 3.
I for one would be. I think Ship has guts,Great hands and is a great route runner with speed. He will catch over the middle and do anything for his team.I doubt he makes it to the 3rd round though.

juck

Reaction score
theogt;3256683 said:
Shoot me if we waste a top draft pick on a free safety.
We know. We dont need a safety. We need a beastly Oline and LB bad.
I think WR is a huge concern.RW is a flop.

Doctor32

Hi-Definition Warrior
Reaction score
theogt;3256683 said:
Shoot me if we waste a top draft pick on a free safety.

What if the Safety is a Polamalu/Ed Reed type of playmaking game-breaker at Safety? Earl Thomas out of UT might fit that description.

I would prefer an beastly OT or another CB or the best DT/NT available.

ringmaster

Reaction score
StylisticS;3256399 said:
Laugh at the thought of Taylor Mays wearing the star.
If they were to draft Taylor Mays, it would be like drafting Roy Williams, all over again because they're very comparable in size.

Not saying that Mays, won't be any good but I could envision OCs, gameplanning for him in the secondary just like they use to do with Williams, they say that Mays, at 230lbs ran a 4.3 once on campus at USC, I seen him play quite a bit in college and I didn't see that kind of speed from him on the field, great hitter no doubt.

I'm for drafting another safety in this draft, but the only way I see Dallas, drafting another safety in the 1st round, if Berry, falls to them and we all know that Berry, won't get past #5, in the first round.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Doctor32;3256703 said:
What if the Safety is a Polamalu/Ed Reed type of playmaking game-breaker at Safety? Earl Thomas out of UT might fit that description.

I would prefer an beastly OT or another CB or the best DT/NT available.
And if we can get a Peyton Manning or an Emmitt Smith, let's draft them too.