ESPN: Kiper's A Grade for Cowboys in 2010

Doctor32

Hi-Definition Warrior
Reaction score
theogt;3256801 said:
And if we can get a Peyton Manning or an Emmitt Smith, let's draft them too.

I was just posing the question back to you. I was not looking for a sarcastic smart-***** response. If a team has a need, then why not fill with the best at that position in the draft?

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
Bruce Campbell? SWEET! He can bring his boomstick and lay down the one-liners when he kills the enemy!!

smax

Reaction score
If history is an indicator, Jerry will not take an offensive lineman in the first round.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
What people don't understand about Kiper, I think, is that he doesn't care about drafting for depth until rounds 6-7.

He believes in drafting the best player available unless you're desperate, and even then he suggests moving around, ala Jimmy Johnson, so that the guy you want is taken in a good value spot.

I agree with some of what he says philosophically. I don't like drafting guys who have little or no liklihood of ever impacting your team other than as depth guys. Try to draft a player who has a legitimate chance to become a starter, if not a star, even if he needs time.

We don't NEED a wr, but if once again it's a strong year for real quality WR's in rounds 2-3, then you jump on that guy if he's rated far above some backup type. We HOPE Ogletree will be the real deal, but frankly, it's probably time to say goodbye to Sam Hurd, and if Roy has another uneventful season next year, he will surely be gone at that point.

Personally, I think we are pretty strong at OLB, 2 deep and a little more maybe. I think we have no depth at ILB, especially worried about Jayson Williams not even being active for special teams most of the season when he was drafted more for his athleticism than anything else.

My personal goals for the draft?

OL.
NT or DE...upgrade DE by moving Ratliff or finding a DE who produces more plays.
ILB.
DB...never have enough.
WR.
FB... if there's ever another guy who can run, block, and catch.

Kicker I think we either already have or find in FA...with Buehler, all we need is a guy who's money from 40 and in. Longer kicks are a gamble with most guys.

8FOR!3

Reaction score
I'm content with getting a good offensive lineman and Jordan Shipley or Jacoby Ford.

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
DFWJC;3256408 said:
Kiper is strong when it comes to his breadth of knowledge about the player pool, but he's not so special when it comes to knowing who will be taken by what team. That's fine because he is paid for the former, not the latter.

Ya. His strength is evaluating strength and weaknesses about a player. He's about the worst at mock drafts though.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Doctor32;3256806 said:
I was just posing the question back to you. I was not looking for a sarcastic smart-***** response. If a team has a need, then why not fill with the best at that position in the draft?
Free safety isn't a need, much less one that needs to be filled high. There are very few free safeties in the league that are better than Hamlin. I'd love to upgrade to one of those guys, but the chances of a high draft pick panning out to be a better player than Hamlin is pretty slim.

Hence, "shoot me."

Now, if we want to upgrade the SS spot, we could do that pretty easily with a high draft pick.

BubbleScreen

Reaction score
utrunner07;3256383 said:
some members here are going to be thrilled with that 1st name in round 3.

Third round is too early for a guy who, in the near term is likely to be a punt and kick off returner. Not saying eventually he won't be a solid #2 type WR, but he needs some development. He's obviously better than a Skyler Green but I think you get better impact from a dime corner prospect (who might return punts and kicks) than a WR there.

I'd be glad to have Shipley on the team, it's just a question of bang for the buck.

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
Wanted OL last season, this season nothing has changed about my perception except one thing. Now Andre Gurode is very solid at the Center where I have doubted him in the past even though he consecutively made Pro Bowls.

IMO Dallas needs a versatile LT to challange Flo, and in the 2nd (hoping that Brewster is legit) a rookie ILB pairing with J. Williams to help challenge Brooking for a starting role.

ghst187

Reaction score
funkytown;3256397 said:
The cowboys really do need a slot receiver, in a bad way. Been like that for years. They need one of those shorter quicker guys who can get in and out of breaks fast. Shipley would be awesome in that roll here.

I agree but i'd prefer Damian Williams if he fell to us in the second or a day 2 bargain in Freddie Barnes. I think Barnes is going to be really good. So far Sr bowl practices are confirming that.

marchetta

Reaction score
FWIW, Drew Boylhart (thehuddlereport.com) rates Cambpell as a 4th rd talent. Drew believes that while he has 1st rd talent, Campbell lacks mental stamina, is lazy, and immature. Don't we already have a player like that on the team? I don't want another one. PASS!

NeonNinja

Dash28
Reaction score
theogt;3256919 said:
Free safety isn't a need, much less one that needs to be filled high. There are very few free safeties in the league that are better than Hamlin. I'd love to upgrade to one of those guys, but the chances of a high draft pick panning out to be a better player than Hamlin is pretty slim.

Hence, "shoot me."

Now, if we want to upgrade the SS spot, we could do that pretty easily with a high draft pick.
Does Hamlin have incrimating information on you or something? Why do you think he is a top safety?

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Dash28;3257111 said:
Why do you think he is a top safety?
Because he doesn't give up many passes or get targeted often, as compared to other safeties.

It's pretty straightforward and easy to understand.

Before Hamlin, we gave up big passes like they were candy. It was shocking the consistency with which we would surrender deep passes. Then we signed Hamlin and they almost completely stopped. Like someone shut off a valve.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
utrunner07;3256383 said:
some members here are going to be thrilled with that 1st name in round 3.

Jordan Shipley would be a craptastic draft choice in Rd 3. He has value in Rds 5-undrafted.

thssanders

Reaction score
funkytown;3256397 said:
The cowboys really do need a slot receiver, in a bad way. Been like that for years. They need one of those shorter quicker guys who can get in and out of breaks fast. Shipley would be awesome in that roll here.

McCluster or whatever the kids name is out of ole miss. He's as quick as they come and has great hands.

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;3257116 said:
Because he doesn't give up many passes or get targeted often, as compared to other safeties.

It's pretty straightforward and easy to understand.

Before Hamlin, we gave up big passes like they were candy. It was shocking the consistency with which we would surrender deep passes. Then we signed Hamlin and they almost completely stopped. Like someone shut off a valve.

lol I think it's hilarious you still think Hamlin is a top Safety.

Nevermind that our pass rush has been top notch the last few seasons.

Nope, that has nothing to do with deep passes at all:rolleyes:

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;3257156 said:
lol I think it's hilarious you still think Hamlin is a top Safety.

Nevermind that our pass rush has been top notch the last few seasons.

Nope, that has nothing to do with deep passes at all:rolleyes:
That you disagree makes me feel more comfortable in my opinion.

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
army-of-darkness-bruce.jpg