lkelly

Reaction score
Guess it deserves one of these:

fWx327.gif

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Espn's been axing a lot of folk, lately. Sportscenter is at its lowest ratings ever. They're reeling due to the cord cutters.

Werder should be fine. I assume he's in some sort of sports writers/reporters union and will get picked up somewhere.

It's not the cord cutters. It's the fact that they went trash TV, National Enquirer level. Many of us have been saying it for years and avoiding everything ESPN. Hell, this forum still has the emoji alive and well!
:espn:

The masses are finally catching on to what the corporation of ESPN has become and their losses is everyone's else's gain.

Weirder had no problem buying into selling scandal, so I have little sympathy that he now reaps what's he's sown.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
It's not just cord cutters...it's the mix of non-sports talk, and now with the likes of NFLN, MLBN, and such, along with social media, it's gonna be hard to make it.

It is the sports version of MTV. Focuses far too much on the "Entertainment" part of their name and forgot what got them on the map in the first place.

To illustrate that fact, they actually cover professional wrestling (well, actually only the WWE) now.

lkelly

Reaction score
It's not the cord cutters. It's the fact that they went trash TV, National Enquirer level. Many of us have been saying it for years and avoiding everything ESPN. Hell, this forum still has the emoji alive and well!
:espn:

The masses are finally catching on to what the corporation of ESPN has become and their losses is everyone's else's gain.

Weirder had no problem buying into selling scandal, so I have little sympathy that he now reaps what's he's sown.

I totally agree. It's the same sort of arc that MTV took for those that are old enough to remember when it focused on music videos and was the in channel for a younger demographic. Is MTV even still on the air?

Alexander

Reaction score
Anyone have that Ed Werder bullhorn clip? I've search and can't find it

Boy. What a shame.

Seeing some enraged uber fan using a bullhorn to be a nuisance is something I wish I could see yet again.

Alexander

Reaction score
I totally agree. It's the same sort of arc that MTV took for those that are old enough to remember when it focused on music videos and was the in channel for a younger demographic. Is MTV even still on the air?

I believe it is. Has a lot of teenage unwed pregnant girl programming on it though.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

You are exactly right! And it was the same out of touch, money-grubbing, corporate suits that ruined that channel too. I believe the channel is still on the air, but they should be sued and forced to lose the "M" because whatever they're doing has nothing to do with Music.

Sadly, the same thing has happened with the History Channel. It went from educating to reality television. And much of Food Network is now the same with their cooking contest reality shows.

lkelly

Reaction score
Let's not forget, however, that the world needs weaselly hacks that are wrong most of the time. It's what separates us from the animals. Except for the weasel.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
You are exactly right! And it was the same out of touch, money-grubbing, corporate suits that ruined that channel too. I believe the channel is still on the air, but they should be sued and forced to lose the "M" because whatever they're doing has nothing to do with Music.

Sadly, the same thing has happened with the History Channel. It went from educating to reality television. And much of Food Network is now the same with their cooking contest reality shows.

Agree on the History Channel. Used to contain, you know, actual history. Now its just reality garbage for the most part. Drives me nuts.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
With all of the releases prior to this I am shocked it took this long.

I wonder if they will, or maybe they already have, get rid of the sub ESPN sites like ESPN Dallas

First I would think they would start laying off many of the reporters that are based in specific cities for specific teams. Ed Werder mostly with Dallas stuff.
I am sure they can find a younger, hungrier reporter for MUCH cheaper in many of these cases.

Or they could just do away with those area specific reporters all together. That would be one step to cutting costs.

Next would to get rid of over priced big names like they are doing with Chris. Sure he helped make ESPN the empire that it is but I am sure he is being paid way too much
now and the younger audience is just not into him.

They also got too much money invested in College Football and I think some of the college conference networks have not panned out as a whole especially with the Longhorn network.

Alexander

Reaction score

Just too much to compete with now with so much information overload all over the place. I get why a channel like the History Channel would change things up. But MTV is just asinine any more.

The teenagers in my house actually laugh when I describe these things called music videos and that was all there was.

In a generation, the same thing might happen with ESPN. "Wait, they used to televise sporting events?".

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score

Exactly. Only show worth a damn on Food Network is Chopped. Pioneer Woman and Barefoot Contessa aren't bad but they're a little slow. The rest is garbage, now. They lost Batali and went downhill from there.

Remember Tales of the Gun and History's Mystery's on History? Awesome shows! American Castles on A&E. Great, historical shows.