ESPN Lays Off Ed Werder

Shake_Tiller

Reaction score
Reminder Folks...

#7 - You will not post political discussions or comments.

:cool:

I think, at least from my viewpoint, it's not a question of specific politics. It's much the same issue that would lead to this rule -- I don't tune in to sports for ANY political discussion. There are plenty of places to get that, just as there are other websites to discuss politics. ESPN probably loses some viewers who are offended by political stances of any stripe, because people watching want to see sports and sports news. Most of us value at least some opportunities to escape the Real World and enjoy something else -- like sports.

aria

Reaction score
ESPN sucks, plain and simple. I know I'm in the minority for his stance on the Cowboys but at least Steven A has a petsonality and doesn't back down.

Golic and Greenberg are horrendous. It blows my mind that Greeny is getting his own show, that proves how out of touch they are with their viewers. I can't wait to hear more of his whining about why they should change the rules and listeb to him talk about what (opposite of boy) he is.

Woody Paige has just become too offensive to look at, put Bob Ryan in that category as well if he's still on.

Jameille's new show is atrocious and that's not going and that's not going anywhere since they just put it on.

Finally, dan LeBaTard, Bomani and especially the way they crowbar Tards dad in there may possibly be the worst show on cable. They make no sense and Papi sits there and mumbles incomprehensible words. It's almost as if they're trying to make it a comedy show, not sports news.

Oh yeah, if they could just please spend more time showing "highlights" of a ball flying over a fence 10+ times a day for a game that plays ~180 games a year instead of giving the NHL playoffs even a total of 10 minutes of coverage a day I'd appreciate it. Actually no I wouldn't, that's why I stopped watching ESPN. I'd rather watch the NHL channel, NFL Network or even FS1.

Great job ESPN! Way to make yourself almost irrelevant with your arrogance. Kaityln Jenner for the courage award? Haha.

Edit: took two words that said politics out

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think, at least from my viewpoint, it's not a question of specific politics. It's much the same issue that would lead to this rule -- I don't tune in to sports for ANY political discussion. There are plenty of places to get that, just as there are other websites to discuss politics. ESPN probably loses some viewers who are offended by political stances of any stripe, because people watching want to see sports and sports news. Most of us value at least some opportunities to escape the Real World and enjoy something else -- like sports.

Reminder Folks...

#7 - You will not post political discussions or comments.

It is not about specific politics or leanings...it is politics in GENERAL.

No No

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
I watch some of their stuff. Also some Science Channel shows. Don't know if you remember Digging for the Truth from History Channel, but Travel Channel has a similar show called Expedition Unknown that I've started watching. Likeable host and so far so good.
Travel Channel is great. Andrew Zimmern is absolutely fantastic. I've caught an episode or two of EU, but for some reason it's not in my rotation like Bizzare Foods and such. I'll start adding it to the dvr, Stash. :)

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
And they even chased me away from their H2 channel! DirecTV replaced it with some garbage called Vice Channel.

:mad:
That actually is a very strange channel if you watch it. Definitely need to be, well, stoned to do so.

hornitosmonster

Reaction score
There are several reasons as to why ESPN is falling. Most of it is their own fault with crappy shows, dishonest talent, and boring news casts (Sports Center was awesome at one time).

ESPN (like many others) could not see the shift in the way people consume media. For the most part, millennials lack the attention span to sit through a 30 min show. They prefer chunks of information that is pertinent to their interest. A young Cubs fan doesn't care about or have the desire to consume any Arizona Diamondbacks news.

No one anticipated that Cord Cutting would become more than a techie/nerd fad. Well it has and even grandma's are getting some of that Cord Cutting action.

Streaming packages by MLB, NBA, and eventually the NFL (they do have a college plan now) have hurt ESPN. Why suffer through endless talk shows and crappy Yankees games? Just buy the MLB streaming package. If takes very little effort to have a the full package with no blackouts for national TV games.

The product that the pro leagues are putting out is not great. The NBA is watered down and features a handful of super teams. The MLB season is too long and the game is still slow and better in person. The NFL (outside of the Cowboys) has a seen a decrease due to very poor officiating, commercial first platform, and overall bad leadership from the commissioners office.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
Espn's been axing a lot of folk, lately. Sportscenter is at its lowest ratings ever. They're reeling due to the cord cutters.

Werder should be fine. I assume he's in some sort of sports writers/reporters union and will get picked up somewhere.
Yeah, that union doesn't exist. But Werder has been good at his craft for a long time, is a genuinely good guy and is respected in the industry. I'd expect he has contacts all over and if anyone can find a decent place to land, it's him.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That actually is a very strange channel if you watch it. Definitely need to be, well, stoned to do so.

I'll pass the drug test then. I have no intention of ever watching it. In fact, I considered sending an email complaint to DirecTV.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ESPN sucks, plain and simple. I know I'm in the minority for his stance on the Cowboys but at least Steven A has a petsonality and doesn't back down.

Golic and Greenberg are horrendous. It blows my mind that Greeny is getting his own show, that proves how out of touch they are with their viewers. I can't wait to hear more of his whining about why they should change the rules and listeb to him talk about what (opposite of boy) he is.

Woody Paige has just become too offensive to look at, put Bob Ryan in that category as well if he's still on.

Jameille's new show is atrocious and that's not going and that's not going anywhere since they just put it on.

Finally, dan LeBaTard, Bomani and especially the way they crowbar Tards dad in there may possibly be the worst show on cable. They make no sense and Papi sits there and mumbles incomprehensible words. It's almost as if they're trying to make it a comedy show, not sports news. To top it off, BaTard occasionally injects politics into it which sends me over the top.

Oh yeah, if they could just please spend more time showing "highlights" of a ball flying over a fence 10+ times a day for a game that plays ~180 games a year instead of giving the NHL playoffs even a total of 10 minutes of coverage a day I'd appreciate it. Actually no I wouldn't, that's why I stopped watching ESPN. I'd rather watch the NHL channel, NFL Network or even FS1.

Great job ESPN! Way to make yourself almost irrelevant with your arrogance and political agenda. Kaityln Jenner for the courage award? Haha.

This is why a lot of people quit listening to the Dallas Ticket radio station. Too many goofy stuff and comedy bits instead of sports.

At the same time...that is the reason they get a lot of people listening to them and why they thrive.

If you can manage to do it where you can gain viewers at a greater rate than you lose them...you are doing ok.

ESPN is not just about gaining or losing viewers though...It is about spending a butt load of money in college football and then being bought up by Disney and the Disney people saying...you guys have gotten too big for your own britches so we are going to put you on a bit time diet.

Alexander

Reaction score
Call me old school, but I find women telling me about a sport they never played insulting. I am all for the hot girl on TV. But when you tell me about how the guard picked up the stunt with that glazed look in your eye before the producer is talking into your earpiece, just turn the camera back to the guy who played the game, and give me a leg shot of the hot girl as you go to commercial.

Have I successfully insulted every woman on this planet yet?

Be careful. Some of the Walter Raleighs around here will have your head on a pike for that, TD.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Yeah, that union doesn't exist. But Werder has been good at his craft for a long time, is a genuinely good guy and is respected in the industry. I'd expect he has contacts all over and if anyone can find a decent place to land, it's him.
I'm shocked there isn't, specifically, a sports reporters union.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Tough to say...because I really don't like Mr. Blue Suit. And I think he's poor at his job.

The same guy that reported that Keith Davis was dead.

The same guy that steadfastly claimed that Miles Austin was not going to take over Roy Williams at the #1 WR spot and threw a hissy fit over it.

The same guy that reported that T.O. was crying after the 2008 Bengals game because 'he didn't get the ball enough' when it was later correctly reported that T.O. lost a close family friend that week.

Never apologized or did a mea culpa.

He created the entire TO vs. Romo/Witten situation as he heard from one 'source' who had a beef against TO and used it as the gospel (and this just so happened after TO was fed up with him and refused to answer any of his questions and Mr. Blue Suit was being laughed at every time TO did it).

The same guy that sent ESPN goons after a fan kept calling him a hack.

There's a TON more of examples, I just don't feel like typing up a doctoral thesis length post on all of them.

I hate to see anybody get laid off, but on the other hand he's probably getting a good severance and made far more money than he should have. And the fact is that if his level of accuracy was that good at any other job...he would have been fired long ago. He loved nothing more than to make the Cowboys the butt of the joke and had serious vendettas against people and quite frankly...I'm 100% confident that he made up a lot of his 'sources' because his level of inaccuracy was so high that you can't have legitimate sources and be THAT inaccurate.

YR

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
its a horrible, Al-Jazeera wannabe Channel for the hip 20-somethings, that feel they need to watch it to be cool.

John813

Reaction score
Wonder how much longer they have left as a compnay?

If it wasn't for them having rights to certain games(NBA.NFL, CFB etc) I wouldn't ever waste time watching them.

its a horrible, Al-Jazeera wannabe Channel for the hip 20-somethings, that feel they need to watch it to be cool.

Vice is terrible.

Insta-switch on HBO when their Vice news pops up

Alexander

Reaction score

Well. This is a little shocking to hear from you. I figured you would be part of their target demographic.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Wonder how much longer they have left as a compnay?

If it wasn't for them having rights to certain games(NBA.NFL, CFB etc) I wouldn't ever waste time watching them.
And they're even losing money on those rights/games

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Never really like him but it's tough to lose a job. I really only watch ESPN during the draft and if they have a certain game televised. I don't watch any shows religiously anymore. I don't really like ESPN to tell the truth.