ESPN Lays Off Ed Werder

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agree on the History Channel. Used to contain, you know, actual history. Now its just reality garbage for the most part. Drives me nuts.

And they even chased me away from their H2 channel! DirecTV replaced it with some garbage called Vice Channel.

:mad:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Exactly. Only show worth a damn on Food Network is Chopped. Pioneer Woman and Barefoot Contessa aren't bad but they're a little slow. The rest is garbage, now. They last Batali and went downhill from there.

Remember Tales of the Gun and History's Mystery's on History? Awesome shows!

I like Pioneer Woman and Contessa. Both give me some great recipe ideas and both hosts are likeable. I miss Molto Mario, Essence of Emeril (not the night show), and Good Eats. I actually learned something from them.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
With all of the releases prior to this I am shocked it took this long.

I wonder if they will, or maybe they already have, get rid of the sub ESPN sites like ESPN Dallas

First I would think they would start laying off many of the reporters that are based in specific cities for specific teams. Ed Werder mostly with Dallas stuff.
I am sure they can find a younger, hungrier reporter for MUCH cheaper in many of these cases.

Or they could just do away with those area specific reporters all together. That would be one step to cutting costs.

Next would to get rid of over priced big names like they are doing with Chris. Sure he helped make ESPN the empire that it is but I am sure he is being paid way too much
now and the younger audience is just not into him.

They also got too much money invested in College Football and I think some of the college conference networks have not panned out as a whole especially with the Longhorn network.

I'm waiting for Jean Jacques Taylor to get his. Waste of air.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Its sad that actual on the scene reporters get axed because the product has been ruined by loudmouths in a studio.

The only good thing espn had left was on site reporters. Without them the network is toast.

It has been terrible for a long time however. I stopped watching the station on a daily basis when their last great on air talent Peter Gammons left years ago. I have had disagreements with ed werder's opinions through the years but he is there at the games and talks to the players he comments about on air. I have seen him nearly every week of every home game for the last 15 years on the field talking to players during warmups. Not many got that access. Ed was always out there talking to Witten, Romo, bradie james etc.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
I like Pioneer Woman and Contessa. Both give me some great recipe ideas and both hosts are likeable. I miss Molto Mario, Essence of Emeril (not the night show), and Good Eats. I actually learned something from them.
Molto Mario was fantastic! I actually loved Emeril. Good Eats was great, now Alton Brown is doing that weird cooking challenge show that is more reality. For a while it was a guilty pleasure of mine, then it just got boring. Still love Chopped and good a episode of Iron Chef (tho, that's gone downhill, too).

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
And they even chased me away from their H2 channel! DirecTV replaced it with some garbage called Vice Channel.

:mad:

The formerly named Military Channel (I think its now American Heros Channel or something like that) still aired a lot of history shows, military stuff, etc. But I cut back on programming and lost that channel.... seemed asinine to have the much larger package when I wasn't watching that much TV. In a lot of ways, I think I'd be better off just buying a Roku or Apple TV, subscribing to a service that contains a few channels and ESPN (its like 20 or 30 a month) and picking up Netflix for documentaries since the History channel isn't about history anymore... and cut my bill in half....

Because basically, I watch sporting events and history.

The only reason I haven't is because of Cartoons (I have 2 kids), but Netflix would cover that...

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Just too much to compete with now with so much information overload all over the place. I get why a channel like the History Channel would change things up. But MTV is just asinine any more.

The teenagers in my house actually laugh when I describe these things called music videos and that was all there was.

In a generation, the same thing might happen with ESPN. "Wait, they used to televise sporting events?".

Kids still watch music videos at a high rate. They just watch them on youtube. That is why taylor swift and the chainsmokers have like a billion views.

Supercowboy1986

Reaction score
It is the sports version of MTV. Focuses far too much on the "Entertainment" part of their name and forgot what got them on the map in the first place.

To illustrate that fact, they actually cover professional wrestling (well, actually only the WWE) now.

That and they keep adding female hosts (or anchors?) that are moderately attractive from far away and wear tight dresses. Ala Hannah storm before she got to the point where you can call her age.

I like attractive women, but I don't need them to talk about sports or sports news. Actual female hosts like that one from NFL live is actually good and informative but doesn't get camera time because she isn't 25.

Seriously, there a lot of female hosts that I've never seen before and don't recognize but you better believe they are wearing stilettos and a form flattering outfit.

CNN does this too, but those women actually seem interested in politics, like Erin Burnett or that blonde, I think her name is Brooke come to mind.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just too much to compete with now with so much information overload all over the place. I get why a channel like the History Channel would change things up.

It makes me sick, and it's a big reason why I hardly watch TV at all any more.

But MTV is just asinine any more.

I can honestly say I haven't watched the channel in about 20 years. When the Real World came in, I got out.

The teenagers in my house actually laugh when I describe these things called music videos and that was all there was.

People tell me that musicians still make them and I'm like "why? What's the point if there's nowhere for people to see them any more?" During that era, the videos were as popular as the music. They were a big deal and another way for artists and groups to advertise their music. A lost art I guess.

In a generation, the same thing might happen with ESPN. "Wait, they used to televise sporting events?".

If we as a society got away from the TV, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Molto Mario was fantastic! I actually loved Emeril. Good Eats was great, now Alton Brown is doing that weird cooking challenge show that is more reality. For a while it was a guilty pleasure of mine, then it just got boring. Still love Chopped and good a episode of Iron Chef (tho, that's gone downhill, too).

Give me the real Iron Chef from Japan. Loved that show!

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Same!!! Gosh I miss late 90's early 2000's Food Network! (And History and A&E, Discovery, too.).

Do you watch NatGeo, Stash? Great channel.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Same!!! Gosh I miss late 90's early 2000's Food Network! (And History and A&E, Discovery, too.).

Do you watch NatGeo, Stash? Great channel.

I watch some of their stuff. Also some Science Channel shows. Don't know if you remember Digging for the Truth from History Channel, but Travel Channel has a similar show called Expedition Unknown that I've started watching. Likeable host and so far so good.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Need a photogenic young thing covering the premier NFL franchise. More clicks and more page views.

Call me old school, but I find women telling me about a sport they never played insulting. I am all for the hot girl on TV. But when you tell me about how the guard picked up the stunt with that glazed look in your eye as the producer is talking into your earpiece, just turn the camera back to the guy who played the game, and give me a leg shot of the hot girl as you go to commercial.

Have I successfully insulted every woman on this planet yet?

Last edited:

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

YES..the original Iron Chef from Japan was the best. Even the over the top Japanese version of Liberace announcer guy would crack me up.