News: ESPN: Our NFL QB Council Experts rank the top 10 in 12 skills

SDCowboy

Reaction score
Never seen a QB more of a media darling than Hebert. The guy can do no wrong. They literally have him in the top 5 in scrambling and designed runs. LOL
It's the benefit of playing on a team nobody cares about. Not saying he isn't great, though.

Sydla

Reaction score
This was a comment in the article I found interesting and mirrors what I have said many times …

The perception of Prescott's accuracy suffers greatly from one or two bizarre misses per game. Aside from those small handful of off-target throws, Prescott is largely an accurate quarterback, particularly with regard to placing the ball away from defenders over the middle of the field. He isn't quite in the elite tier of QB accuracy, but he fits somewhere in the back of the top 10.

He no doubt has a miss or two a game that is just a head scratcher, but I think people tend to take moments that are very noticeable and assume they are typical, and that isn't necessarily the case.

That whole section was weird though. Dak isn't in our Top 10 for accuracy but he should be in the Top 10? OK. LOL.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I stopped reading on accuracy
Dak had the 4th highest comp pct last year
Herbert was 18th
Completions % for sure does not always mean accuracy.
Some QBs have a higher % due to not throwing it until they see it.
Many other things go into it including risk-taking, etc.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That whole section was weird though. Dak isn't in our Top 10 for accuracy but he should be in the Top 10? OK. LOL.
That's because the guy that wrote that comment was only one of the 11 guys voting on the ranking. He wasn't speaking for the whole group. He was disagreeing with the group.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Never seen a QB more of a media darling than Hebert. The guy can do no wrong. They literally have him in the top 5 in scrambling and designed runs. LOL
Yeah i love Herbert but for someone that has never won anything or lead his team to the playoffs, the guy has been crowned way to early. I don’t think he is close to 3rd year Dan Marino.

Reaction score
Herbert is still an ascending player. Some of these ratings for him may be projections, but the sky is the limit with him.

At this point Dak is what he is. A bottom 10 starter who can win with good players around him.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
So Mountain would let Dak walk in two years and replace him with Wentz, Goff, Baker, or Darnold. That is clearly not an upgrade. Dak has the Cowboys by the balls.

I would keep an eye on Burrow. I am not convinced that the Bengals will pay him 55+ Million a season and 300 million guaranteed he could get in two seasons.

conner01

Reaction score
Completions % for sure does not always mean accuracy.
Some QBs have a higher % due to not throwing it until they see it.
Many other things go into it including risk-taking, etc.
Distance also
But it also does include accuracy
If you throw mostly short passes then you should be more accurate
If you don’t force the ball into coverage and throw to the open guy, you should be more accurate. Though I’d argue if you are forcing the ball into a coveted guy that’s not the best option
But when you are top 5 in comp pct you have to also be accurate. Especially when you are throwing a large pct of you passes down field

DFWJC

Reaction score
Distance also
But it also does include accuracy
If you throw mostly short passes then you should be more accurate
If you don’t force the ball into coverage and throw to the open guy, you should be more accurate. Though I’d argue if you are forcing the ball into a coveted guy that’s not the best option
But when you are top 5 in comp pct you have to also be accurate. Especially when you are throwing a large pct of you passes down field
All true.

Fwiw, Zeke/Pollard combined for a whopping 111 targets last year, so there was a ton of dumping the ball off for borderline automatic completions.
Just pointing that out.

Dak's air yards per attempt were still fairly high though

Reaction score
Herbert is still an ascending player. Some of these ratings for him may be projections, but the sky is the limit with him.

At this point Dak is what he is. A bottom 10 starter who can win with good players around him.
To clarify, that is the bottom of the top 10. In other words, the 8th or 10th best QB in the league

Kingofholland

Reaction score
I've learned 2 things from reading analyst rankings and opinion posts on this board.

1) Outsider consensus says Dak is a top 10 QB.
2) From reading the wonderful unbiased negative opinions on Dak if you're not a top 5 QB you're trash and should be replaced with a competent starter.

Enjoy what you have, because some day you may miss it. I feel that's the situation with Romo. He was criticized a lot, and now seems well loved by all. I remember the post Aikman years well and when you don't have a competent QB it looks a lot uglier than having a top 10 QB like Dak.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Yell me you haven't, I bet Bowen knows more of what he's looking at than you...lol
Pocket presence is probably Dak's biggest weakness. It's awful. He's improved in some areas, but not that one.

I said his statement indicated he wasn't looking, so what he's knows about what he's looking at isn't really relevant.

Dre11

Reaction score
Put it this way, I don't think you'd ever hear me say he can do more with less, lol.
I think Jimmy Johnson pretty much captured the full QB abilities of Dak when interviewed last year.
I agree with Jimmy.

So did you also agree with Jimmy here?

"They need to get him signed,” Johnson said. “They should have given in to the four-year deal last year. Would have saved them some money. They wanted five years. But they’ve got to get him signed. And not only is he an outstanding quarterback, he’s not Patrick Mahomes, but he is an outstanding quarterback and on top of that he is a great leader.