Video: ESPN profiles Jerry Jones

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
I think one thing Jones is missing is that Cowboys are so popular now because KIDS grew up watching the 90s Cowboys and most have remained Cowboys fans. Kids growing up today think Dallas is a joke, it is only a matter of time before they lose popularity if he continues to field mediocre teams.

wileedog

Reaction score
Passing on Manziel demonstrates JJ's slow growth away from wildcatting and toward more sound business decisions, a bit less of his personality and a bit more of Steven's, which is I think where we're headed.

Are you kidding? He's still crying about not taking him.

""I am still so damn mad," he snaps. "I get madder, every day, about missin' him."

Sounds like they had to almost literally tie him down to keep him away from calling in that pick.

""When we were on the clock, I said, if we pick the other guy -- any other guy -- it would be a ticket to parity, more 8-8 seasons," Jones says. "The only way to break out is to gamble -- take a chance with that first pick, if you wanna dramatically improve your team. That's why I wanted Manziel, but I was the only guy who wanted him. I listened to everybody ... and I'm ... not ... happy ..."

Does this sound like a guy "growing" away from anything?

Doomsday101

Reaction score

""I am still so damn mad," he snaps. "I get madder, every day, about missin' him."

Sounds like they had to almost literally tie him down to keep him away from calling in that pick.

""When we were on the clock, I said, if we pick the other guy -- any other guy -- it would be a ticket to parity, more 8-8 seasons," Jones says. "The only way to break out is to gamble -- take a chance with that first pick, if you wanna dramatically improve your team. That's why I wanted Manziel, but I was the only guy who wanted him. I listened to everybody ... and I'm ... not ... happy ..."

I understand Jerry wanted him, I disagree with Jerry and glad in the end Manziel ended up not coming to Dallas. Now all I hear is how Jerry is calling all the shots and it is his fault, well if he was calling all the shots not taking advice from scouts and coaches then Johnny Football would be here. So the notion Jones is running it all by himself is and has been BS. He listens to others even if at times his feeling may be different.

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
"He's the luckiest guy I've ever seen -- in business and in life," says Larry Lacewell, one of Jones' closest friends and the Cowboys' head of scouting from 1992 until 2004. "His football team has been the unluckiest thing I've ever seen. How can you be that unlucky that long?"

There it is - Fate, un-luck, abberation.

NJ22

Reaction score
It's quite interesting to literally get to watch the mental deterioration of Jerry Jones right before our very eyes.

I actually agree with him that we should have taken Manziel, but there's no football basis behind Jerry's reason for wanting to do so. He clearly wanted Manziel strictly for business reasons.

Man.... Every time, I think I can't like Jerry Less he proves me wrong. His petty reasoning for not putting Jimmy in the ROH is basically because Jerry says so! Meanwhile He would be on a 25 year streak of 500 football without Jimmy. Such a dbag.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
Sure, this could be looked at as yet another reason to hate Jerry as a GM. But does anyone else really want to party down with Jerry Jones after reading that article???? Epic.

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
Man.... Every time, I think I can't like Jerry Less he proves me wrong. His petty reasoning for not putting Jimmy in the ROH is basically because Jerry says so! Meanwhile He would be on a 25 year streak of 500 football without Jimmy. Such a dbag.

I'm kind of surprised Jerry hasn't put himself in the ROH.

Turf Toe

Reaction score
Sure, this could be looked at as yet another reason to hate Jerry as a GM. But does anyone else really want to party down with Jerry Jones after reading that article???? Epic.

Hell yeah! Me, jerry, Johnny Blue, strippers........EPIC indeed!

Wood

Reaction score
It's quite interesting to literally get to watch the mental deterioration of Jerry Jones right before our very eyes.

I actually agree with him that we should have taken Manziel, but there's no football basis behind Jerry's reason for wanting to do so. He clearly wanted Manziel strictly for business reasons.

I agreed with everything you said right up until the end. I think Jerry felt Manziel was a real talent that could win a super bowl one day. But your right..there is no denying the marketability of Manziel on americas team.

Dodger12

Reaction score
I don't know if it's me but I jut feel kind of dirty after reading that article. Did Jerry just let this reporter into his world for the whole summer to print such a negative article with many words twisted or inferred as to have some negative connotation?

For example, "Down a long hallway I notice a framed photo of Jerry, Gene and Kevin Costner, all looking at least a decade younger. "Look at her," Jones says, deadpan. "I've never seen Gene looking happier as she is right there looking at that other man." I can see where Jerry may have been joking over a drink and made the off-hand comment but was that really worth printing? Was the fact that a couple of ladies walked up to him at a bar and/or restaurant really that news worthy except to add to his womanizing persona story line?

And, worst yet, was it really necessary to mention the call from AP through a mutual friend that seems to be making it's way around the media now? Really?

I hate Jerry. I despise the man and what he's done to this franchise. I hope my son outlives this dolt and his offspring and, when he does, he'll have to deal with Spaulding and his family tree.

BUT, I just found that certain parts of this article had no place in a sports journalism piece that only served to create innuendos and reinforce the writer's predisposition and prior opinions.

Kudos for the part about Jimmy and Jerry's true feelings; kudos to his reporting on Jerry and Johnny Football. Kudo's to Jerry's GM regrets (although he took a swipe at that too). There's a lot of good stuff in this piece but there's a ton of horse**** too that just wasn't necessary when someone gives you that kind of access to his personal life.

Don Van Natta is a weasel who weaseled his way into the interview and access of a lifetime. Hey idiot, we know Jerry is a womanizer. We know he's a billionaire that attracts tail everywhere he goes. We know he's an eccentric ego maniac. But he's our eccentric ego-maniacal dolt of an owner. The sports piece, which could have been epic with the amount of access you were given, was no place for some very personal information or personal backhands at his wife's expense.

Just my two cents.

BringBackThatOleTimeBoys

Reaction score
I think one thing Jones is missing is that Cowboys are so popular now because KIDS grew up watching the 90s Cowboys and most have remained Cowboys fans. Kids growing up today think Dallas is a joke, it is only a matter of time before they lose popularity if he continues to field mediocre teams.

Oh no, no, no....according to some here.

People will pay top dollar to attend the games, buy the jerseys, even when the team has not been in the playoffs for years...the lemmings will keep buying lemons.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Oh no, no, no....according to some here.

People will pay top dollar to attend the games, buy the jerseys, even when the team has not been in the playoffs for years...the lemmings will keep buying lemons.

No fans go to games. I was going to Cowboy games well before anyone here knew who Jerry Jones was. I have attended every Thanksgiving game this team has played and I will continue because I enjoy going to the games. I watch the Cowboys for me not Jerry or other fans, I watch them on TV not for Jerry or other fans I do this because I am a hardcore Dallas Cowboys fan always have always will. I don't see any reason for punishing myself from things I enjoy because of jerry or other fans. this is football, I have many important things I have to do in my life football is my out, my release and I don't plan on giving it up.

TimHortons

TheXFactor
Reaction score
I don't know if it's me but I jut feel kind of dirty after reading that article. Did Jerry just let this reporter into his world for the whole summer to print such a negative article with many words twisted or inferred as to have some negative connotation?

For example, "Down a long hallway I notice a framed photo of Jerry, Gene and Kevin Costner, all looking at least a decade younger. "Look at her," Jones says, deadpan. "I've never seen Gene looking happier as she is right there looking at that other man." I can see where Jerry may have been joking over a drink and made the off-hand comment but was that really worth printing? Was the fact that a couple of ladies walked up to him at a bar and/or restaurant really that news worthy except to add to his womanizing persona story line?

And, worst yet, was it really necessary to mention the call from AP through a mutual friend that seems to be making it's way around the media now? Really?

I hate Jerry. I despise the man and what he's done to this franchise. I hope my son outlives this dolt and his offspring and, when he does, he'll have to deal with Spaulding and his family tree.

BUT, I just found that certain parts of this article had no place in a sports journalism piece that only served to create innuendos and reinforce the writer's predisposition and prior opinions.

Kudos for the part about Jimmy and Jerry's true feelings; kudos to his reporting on Jerry and Johnny Football. Kudo's to Jerry's GM regrets (although he took a swipe at that too). There's a lot of good stuff in this piece but there's a ton of horse**** too that just wasn't necessary when someone gives you that kind of access to his personal life.

Don Van Natta is a weasel who weaseled his way into the interview and access of a lifetime. Hey idiot, we know Jerry is a womanizer. We know he's a billionaire that attracts tail everywhere he goes. We know he's an eccentric ego maniac. But he's our eccentric ego-maniacal dolt of an owner. The sports piece, which could have been epic with the amount of access you were given, was no place for some very personal information or personal backhands at his wife's expense.

Just my two cents.

I somewhat agree with your statement here. While clearly Jerry is clearly a bit of a sleazebag, I can't say I wouldn't be out partying as well if I was a billionaire. He seemed to let this reporter get pretty deep into his life here, and then the author just rips him (for the most part). Attacking him as a GM is perfectly fine as he completely deserves that, but I think that all the personal shots that he takes at Jones are uncalled for, especially when it seems that Jones treated him so well.

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
I somewhat agree with your statement here. While clearly Jerry is clearly a bit of a sleazebag, I can't say I wouldn't be out partying as well if I was a billionaire. He seemed to let this reporter get pretty deep into his life here, and then the author just rips him (for the most part). Attacking him as a GM is perfectly fine as he completely deserves that, but I think that all the personal shots that he takes at Jones are uncalled for, especially when it seems that Jones treated him so well.

It's probably hard to be honest & kind when you're dealing with a drunken egomaniac like Jerry. He deserves everything rotten ever written about him.

rags747

Reaction score

Fully agree with Jerry here, would much rather hit for the fences than just come up with a single. Jerry has done this his whole life...been pretty damn successful with that strategy.

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
Maybe this is my heart talking but I think Stephen is going to put the breaks on the circus a bit. His entire demeanor just seems more subdued. The big elephant in the room that I have never seen addressed is -- will Stephen hire a GM. I personally think he will. Of course I'm sure Jerry has the gold health plan and he won't be going anywhere for awhile but that's how I feel about Stephen.

BTW- whenever I hear Spaulding's name - I think about this. "Spaulding, you're going to play golf and you're going to like it!"

Some of you will get that.;)