Video: ESPN profiles Jerry Jones

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I somewhat agree with your statement here. While clearly Jerry is clearly a bit of a sleazebag, I can't say I wouldn't be out partying as well if I was a billionaire. He seemed to let this reporter get pretty deep into his life here, and then the author just rips him (for the most part). Attacking him as a GM is perfectly fine as he completely deserves that, but I think that all the personal shots that he takes at Jones are uncalled for, especially when it seems that Jones treated him so well.

I agree. Some things weren't well researched, like the entire San Antonio vs. Oxnard deal. But, the reporter ran with it any way.

And I know it sounds crazy, but I can't blame Jerry for not putting Jimmy in the ROH. Jimmy just can't show any modicum of respect for Jerry. Name me another coach that didn't get fired after going 1-15. I can see putting Jimmy in the ROH, but not if he is just going to keep disrespecting the owner. Conversely, if I were Jimmy I would not want to be a member of a ROH if I can't show some respect for Jerry. Why give him the satisfaction?

I came away from the article that Jerry has a drinking problem and is extended too much and we could likely find a better GM in the end (just because you hire a 'football guy' doesn't automatically mean he's going to be a better GM). But, it also proved what I've been saying for a while, Jerry loves the attention the Cowboys get. And if you want to put an end to Jerry as the GM, stop watching games since Jerry points to the ratings in the beginning of the article.

YR

NumOneQB

Reaction score
And Jerruh's path to being Al Davis has begun. He's punched that ticket folks. Buckle up and hang on....

erod

Reaction score
My main thought: Jerry drinks more than I even thought. Every other paragraph was about whiskey.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
No. Heeding everyone's advice, Jones selected offensive tackle Zack Martin of Notre Dame, picking a player to protect Romo over a player who would have made Romo hear footsteps. "I can't believe that Ringling Brothers and Barnum Bailey Circus didn't buy the biggest elephant of all time," Lacewell says later

From Lacewell?

This article shows how lost Jerry really is.

Not because of anything he did in the article, but because he would actually let someone just shadow him so that person could write about everything.

This is almost as stupid as the criminals who record there exploits.

wileedog

Reaction score
Name me another coach that didn't get fired after going 1-15.
In the first season of a complete rebuild after taking over for coach of almost 30 years? And not in the the current parity/free agent league? I remember that year and I in no way wanted Jimmy fired at the time.

I can see putting Jimmy in the ROH, but not if he is just going to keep disrespecting the owner. Conversely, if I were Jimmy I would not want to be a member of a ROH if I can't show some respect for Jerry. Why give him the satisfaction?
The point, to me, is that the ROH has absolutely nothing to do with the relationship of the two men. Players or coaches who are fan favorites should not be kept out of the ROH because the owner has a personal dislike of them, it has nothing to do with what occurred on the field.

Jimmy is the 2nd best coach this team ever had. Probably will have going forward. He belongs there because he produced, not because Jerry is miffed at some perceived undermining.

I came away from the article that Jerry has a drinking problem and is extended too much and we could likely find a better GM in the end (just because you hire a 'football guy' doesn't automatically mean he's going to be a better GM).
If we can find one that is not a narcissistic alcoholic and who actually has some credentials to be an NFL GM that would be a good start.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Jerry's live pre-game interview was actually pretty good. On site, has a jump first agenda on issue...and if he were giving a million dollars to a complete stranger in need, someone would paint a picture here, of destitute and absurd.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
In the first season of a complete rebuild after taking over for coach of almost 30 years? And not in the the current parity/free agent league? I remember that year and I in no way wanted Jimmy fired at the time.

The point, to me, is that the ROH has absolutely nothing to do with the relationship of the two men. Players or coaches who are fan favorites should not be kept out of the ROH because the owner has a personal dislike of them, it has nothing to do with what occurred on the field.

Jimmy is the 2nd best coach this team ever had. Probably will have going forward. He belongs there because he produced, not because Jerry is miffed at some perceived undermining.

If we can find one that is not a narcissistic alcoholic and who actually has some credentials to be an NFL GM that would be a good start.

Jerry's just mad that Jimmy's liked more than he is by Cowboy fans. No matter what Jerry does, nobody with a brain is going to believe he had anything to do with the building of that Dynasty after 20 years of Jerryball. I don't think Jimmy cares if he's in the ROH or not.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score

Again, name me a coach that kept their job after going 1-15?

That is all I am asking.

The ROH was never built on who the fans wanted. If it were, then I think you would have a point. It was a Tex Schramm decision process and there were players that Schramm should have put in there, but did not.

Either way, if I were Jimmy I would not want to be in the ROH. The reason why I say this is that I was recently discussed about being in my HS Sports Hall of Fame and I have zero respect for 2 of the people that are still involved in the process. Therefore, I have no desire to play nice for them because I dislike them that much.

Having 'NFL credentials' doesn't mean you're going to be a good GM. Believe me, I don't want Jerry as the GM. But, I'm not going to think that we will automatically have success because we have a 'football guy.' Marv Levy, Buddy Nix, Billy Devaney, Mike Lombardi, etc...all 'football guys' and all stunk at picking personnel in their front office role.

YR

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Jerry's just mad that Jimmy's liked more than he is by Cowboy fans. No matter what Jerry does, nobody with a brain is going to believe he had anything to do with the building of that Dynasty after 20 years of Jerryball. I don't think Jimmy cares if he's in the ROH or not.

Jimmy cares.

It's just part of Jimmy's personality. He reminds me a lot of Billy Martin. A very 'me against the world' mentality and love to rebel against authority. And often times that character trait works against him.

Jimmy was this way at the U. of Miami. First, it was him vs. the NCAA. Then him vs. the U. of Miami administrators who just wanted their athletes going to something that resembled classes and not disrespecting the image of the university. Then in Dallas it was Jimmy saying very unflattering things about Landry and Schramm. Then it moved to Jimmy vs. the rest of the NFL because everybody labeled him as a 'high school coach.' When that was conquered, it was him vs. Jerry. It cuts both ways...Jimmy didn't like Jerry's popularity and notoriety either and used that to start another enemy. Then it became Jimmy vs. the players and Jimmy vs. Jimmy as he put it 'I had to be the bad guy in order to keep coaching in Dallas.'

Then when Jimmy leaves for the Dolphins...it's him vs. Marino. Then it is Jimmy vs. the Miami press.

It's a double edged sword because I truly believe that trait is what makes guys like Martin and Jimmy successful coaches. It's the ultimate in competitiveness and finding a way to compete against something...anything...which just hones your competitive skills when you're facing a rival coach or trying a new business venture. But, it also works against them and prevents them from reaching pinnacles that no other coach has reached. It's what separates guys like John Wooden, Chuck Noll, Joe Torre, Phil Jackson, etc. from them...the security in themselves to not try and create enemies when there are none out there.

"When Alexander saw the breadth of his domain, he wept for there were no more worlds to conquer."

YR

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I agree. Some things weren't well researched, like the entire San Antonio vs. Oxnard deal. But, the reporter ran with it any way.

And I know it sounds crazy, but I can't blame Jerry for not putting Jimmy in the ROH. Jimmy just can't show any modicum of respect for Jerry. Name me another coach that didn't get fired after going 1-15. I can see putting Jimmy in the ROH, but not if he is just going to keep disrespecting the owner. Conversely, if I were Jimmy I would not want to be a member of a ROH if I can't show some respect for Jerry. Why give him the satisfaction?

I came away from the article that Jerry has a drinking problem and is extended too much and we could likely find a better GM in the end (just because you hire a 'football guy' doesn't automatically mean he's going to be a better GM). But, it also proved what I've been saying for a while, Jerry loves the attention the Cowboys get. And if you want to put an end to Jerry as the GM, stop watching games since Jerry points to the ratings in the beginning of the article.

YR

There is more truth in this than I, and many more, like. It is what it is.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Jimmy cares.

It's just part of Jimmy's personality. He reminds me a lot of Billy Martin. A very 'me against the world' mentality and love to rebel against authority. And often times that character trait works against him.

Jimmy was this way at the U. of Miami. First, it was him vs. the NCAA. Then him vs. the U. of Miami administrators who just wanted their athletes going to something that resembled classes and not disrespecting the image of the university. Then in Dallas it was Jimmy saying very unflattering things about Landry and Schramm. Then it moved to Jimmy vs. the rest of the NFL because everybody labeled him as a 'high school coach.' When that was conquered, it was him vs. Jerry. It cuts both ways...Jimmy didn't like Jerry's popularity and notoriety either and used that to start another enemy. Then it became Jimmy vs. the players and Jimmy vs. Jimmy as he put it 'I had to be the bad guy in order to keep coaching in Dallas.'

Then when Jimmy leaves for the Dolphins...it's him vs. Marino. Then it is Jimmy vs. the Miami press.

It's a double edged sword because I truly believe that trait is what makes guys like Martin and Jimmy successful coaches. It's the ultimate in competitiveness and finding a way to compete against something...anything...which just hones your competitive skills when you're facing a rival coach or trying a new business venture. But, it also works against them and prevents them from reaching pinnacles that no other coach has reached. It's what separates guys like John Wooden, Chuck Noll, Joe Torre, Phil Jackson, etc. from them...the security in themselves to not try and create enemies when there are none out there.

"When Alexander saw the breadth of his domain, he wept for there were no more worlds to conquer."

YR

A pretty good view of one side of Jimmy Johnson...and I think that the reason that he ended up in Miami in the first place, is that he felt he could get a few more National Blue Ribbon players from the school basicly looking the other way on football players. The University apparently had a limit on that number...

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Jimmy cares.

YR

This is a good post. I don't know Jimmy but its well written. The last sentence is golden.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
A pretty good view of one side of Jimmy Johnson...and I think that the reason that he ended up in Miami in the first place, is that he felt he could get a few more National Blue Ribbon players from the school basicly looking the other way on football players. The University apparently had a limit on that number...

Jimmy said he went to Miami because he couldn't compete with the players that Texas and Oklahoma were getting while he was at Oklahoma State. So by going to Miami he could get the Florida, particularly the south Florida players that Schnellenberger brought into the game. It was also a perfect fit because Florida was filled with speedy, quick defensive players that would fit perfectly into Jimmy's gap shooting scheme designed to stop the option.

Jimmy first went after the NCAA and the running up of the score on Notre Dame signified that. Notre Dame symbolized the NCAA to Jimmy and his players and they wanted to crush it. But, when you had a program where players were not going to class, constantly getting in trouble with the law, assaulting students and tarnishing the image of the university, the university had to step in and do something about it. And it wasn't like the university was overbearing as the program was still a rogue program under Dennis Erickson and even under Larry Coker. But, Jimmy got what he wanted...opposition. And he used that as an excuse to go to the NFL.

YR

Fredd

Reaction score
Here's what I got out of this

Jones = drunk
Jones = narcissist
Jones = I don't care what you think, I am the billionaire and not you; it's all about Jerry Jones
Fredd = embarrassed every time he opens his mouth

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
Here's what I got out of this

Jones = drunk
Jones = narcissist
Jones = I don't care what you think, I am the billionaire and not you; it's all about Jerry Jones
Fredd = embarrassed every time he opens his mouth

Don't forget *****. His own words.

Fredd

Reaction score
Don't forget *****. His own words.

agreed. my bad

living in NE penna (eagles, giants, steelers territory), it gets harder and harder to defend his actions and words...a lot of the fans from these teams don't even say anything any more (they likely feel bad for me/us)...
being a fan under JJ's reign, it's kinda like standing chest-deep in the ocean facing the shore....you get so used to the waves coming in that the noise and commotion are almost blind to you, you get numb from it...THEN, one wave just whacks the crap out of you and you come up coughing and spitting out salty water....people tell you to come in out of the water, but you just CAN'T, it HAS to be better than sitting on the shore....

/end analogy

Califan007

Reaction score
Again, name me a coach that kept their job after going 1-15?

That is all I am asking.

Steve Spagnuolo, Rams. Went 1-15 in 2009 and kept coaching for the Rams for two more seasons.

Mike Riley, San Diego Chargers. Went 1-15 in 2000 and remained the coach for another season.

The ROH was never built on who the fans wanted. If it were, then I think you would have a point. It was a Tex Schramm decision process and there were players that Schramm should have put in there, but did not.

Either way, if I were Jimmy I would not want to be in the ROH. The reason why I say this is that I was recently discussed about being in my HS Sports Hall of Fame and I have zero respect for 2 of the people that are still involved in the process. Therefore, I have no desire to play nice for them because I dislike them that much.

I get the feeling that the team's ROH should reflect the best and greatest of the franchise's long history, not be mini-reflections of each owners' personal biases towards individuals. Obviously there's no way in hell Jerruh's gonna dedicate a moment in a season to Johnson and sit by to watch JJ get a standing ovation from the fans, then read all the articles the next day talking about it and about Johnson representing a time long ago when the Cowboys were among the elite.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Steve Spagnuolo, Rams. Went 1-15 in 2009 and kept coaching for the Rams for two more seasons.

Mike Riley, San Diego Chargers. Went 1-15 in 2000 and remained the coach for another season.

How about before Jimmy since we can't predict the future?

And using Spanuolo and Riley is not what I would call a great example of keeping a 1-15 coach as 'working out' in the end.

YR

visionary

Reaction score
How about before Jimmy since we can't predict the future?

And using Spanuolo and Riley is not what I would call a great example of keeping a 1-15 coach as 'working out' in the end.

YR

I usually like your posts but don't change the rules
You asked a question and got SEVERAL examples. Just admit you were wrong

The ROH is about the best in the history of the cowboys
Jimmy should be in there , period
Keeping jimmy out just tells everyone how petty and incompetent jerry really is (it is called "spitting at the sun" you're really spitting on yourself) (I mean jerry of course)