Video: ESPN profiles Jerry Jones

Califan007

Reaction score
How about before Jimmy since we can't predict the future?

And using Spanuolo and Riley is not what I would call a great example of keeping a 1-15 coach as 'working out' in the end.

YR

Hold up...this is what you said:

"...name me a coach that kept their job after going 1-15?

That is all I am asking."

I named you a coach--two of them in fact.

Are you now saying that's NOT "all you were asking"? Now it has to be someone from before Jimmy...and it has to be a 1-15 coach who "worked out in the end", something you never specified--you only said to name one coach who kept their job after going 1-15. Please let me know what other parameters you're gonna add onto the criteria after I list more coaches...sock color, perhaps? Lefthanded?

None of these will count in your eyes because there weren't 16 games in the season at the time...and apparently going 0-14 is better than going 1-15...but:

Pre-JJ:

Frank Kush, Colts. Was winless in 1982, kept coaching for the Colts for 2 more seasons (including when they moved to Indy).

Ed Biles, Oilers. Went 1-8 in 1982, coached for another year afterwards.

John McKay, Bucs. Went 0-14 in 1976 and kept coaching for 8 more seasons.

Chuck Noll, Steelers. Went 1-13 his first year (1969)...not sure how the rest of his career turned out.

Blitzen

Reaction score

And using Spanuolo and Riley is not what I would call a great example of keeping a 1-15 coach as 'working out' in the end.

YR

Tom Landry 0-12 in 1960
Bill Walsh 2-14 in 1979
Bill Parcells 3-12-1 in 1983

Guess none of my examples are exactly 1-15. Well reasoned on your part, lol.

Plankton

Reaction score
Again, name me a coach that kept their job after going 1-15?

That is all I am asking.

Steve Spagnuolo went 1-15 with the Rams in 2009 and returned the next year.

John McKay lost his first 26 games with the Buccaneers, and coached for nine seasons in Tampa Bay.

Tom Landry also didn't win a game until his second season in Dallas, and coached for 29 seasons.

Are those enough examples?

movaughn88

Reaction score
My main thought: Jerry drinks more than I even thought. Every other paragraph was about whiskey.

This was one of my bigger take-aways. Look, I enjoy scotch myself. One decent sized tumbler (and I doubt he has a light pour) on ice and, while you might feel pretty great, you're not acting with all your wits about you. Putting it in big plastic cups is an even more slippery slope. He must be totally lit up on most nights. I do respect that he partied till 5am then was on GMA at 7 though.

I agree with other posters - I think the writer intentionally stressed johnny walker blue, being approached by random women, and taking snippets of jokes and taking them out of context. If half the jokes I made with a little scotch in me were written in an article, I'd look like a buffoon or worse. This writer knew exactly what he was doing, and I'm willing to bet he acted a different part in front of Jerry, and JJ is fairly shocked at how this came out.

Doesn't excuse most of the content though, it's a little sad and I wish it didn't have such a direct effect on my favorite team, but it is what it is.

Plankton

Reaction score

YR

Don't move the goal posts when someone proves your point to be incorrect.

KB1122

Reaction score
I wonder if the Manziel decision will be enough to get Stephen re-assigned and Charlotte moved in. We can only hope.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I usually like your posts but don't change the rules
You asked a question and got SEVERAL examples. Just admit you were wrong

I was given 2 examples...after Jimmy was no longer with the Cowboys.

There is not a precedent I see in the modern NFL of a coach going 1-15 and keeping his job before Jimmy. Spagnuolo and Riley likely kept their job because they could always say 'well, Jimmy Johnson went 1-15 and kept his job, so I should be retained as well.'

And if you want to hang your hat on Spagnuolo and Riley, be my guest.

YR

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Don't move the goal posts when someone proves your point to be incorrect.

Don't try to win on technicalities just to suit your agenda.

And acting obtuse over the main point...it took a lot of guts on Jerry's part to:

A) Hire a guy that had ZERO NFL experience

B) To keep him around after going 1-15 which only further perpetuated the point that he was just a successful college coach.

But, please...keep hanging your hat on Steve Spagnuolo, John McKay and Mike Riley. When I think of the Mt. Rushmore of head coaches... they are the first thought on my mind.

YR

Plankton

Reaction score

And acting obtuse over the main point...it took a lot of guts on Jerry's part to:

B) To keep him around after going 1-15 which only further perpetuated the point that he was just a successful college coach.

But, please...keep hanging your hat on Steve Spagnuolo, John McKay and Mike Riley. When I think of the Mt. Rushmore of head coaches... they are the first thought on my mind.

YR

That was not the argument you were making, no matter how much you want to spin otherwise.

What Jones did was no more gutsy than Hugh Culverhouse hiring John McKay, a college coach with no NFL experience, who lost his first 26 games. McKay took that same team to the NFC Championship Game in 1979, and made the playoffs two other times.

And, yes, I am saying that McKay, Spagnuolo and Riley are on the Mt. Rushmore of coaches, despite that never being said in my quote above. Nice obfuscation of the actual argument being made.

It's OK to admit when you are wrong on a point.

yimyammer

Reaction score
My main thought: Jerry drinks more than I even thought. Every other paragraph was about whiskey.

lol, smh...

Our beloved Cowboys have been kidnapped by a madman beset on torturing its devoted. Like a father powerless to rescue a kidnapped child put on display by his captor, he clings to every chance to see even a fading glance of his long lost child, tragically enabling it to continue.

Therein lies our conundrum

wileedog

Reaction score
Having 'NFL credentials' doesn't mean you're going to be a good GM. Believe me, I don't want Jerry as the GM. But, I'm not going to think that we will automatically have success because we have a 'football guy.' Marv Levy, Buddy Nix, Billy Devaney, Mike Lombardi, etc...all 'football guys' and all stunk at picking personnel in their front office role.

And I'm in no way saying that hiring a GM = automatic Superbowl. But what you get most of all with a GM is over Jerry is accountability. If after a few years the guy is not succeeding, you can get a new one. And a new one after that. Until you find a guy who does put it all together and gets it right.

Not the same drunk stumbling through mediocrity for 20 years with no real plan, just a constant series of knee jerk reactions and wishful gambles.

erod

Reaction score
So, by a show of hands, how many of us have a mother who told us to start drinking again because we're no fun sober?

Unfortunately, this author wrote probably the most accurate account of Jerry ever written.

It's also a huge advertisement for Johnny Walker Blue.

Califan007

Reaction score

YR

e0d382a0_1slj61.gif

Dodger12

Reaction score
I was given 2 examples...after Jimmy was no longer with the Cowboys.

There is not a precedent I see in the modern NFL of a coach going 1-15 and keeping his job before Jimmy. Spagnuolo and Riley likely kept their job because they could always say 'well, Jimmy Johnson went 1-15 and kept his job, so I should be retained as well.'

And if you want to hang your hat on Spagnuolo and Riley, be my guest.YR

YR, you're a good poster and I enjoy your posts but I think you need to back away gracefully from this one. We get the point you're trying to make but you're wrong.

On the flip side, can you name me a coach that went 1 and 15 in his first year as NFL HC and was fired by the club? More curious then anything since you're kind of insinuating that Jerry could have/should have fired Jimmy after going 1 and 15 in his first year.

BringBackThatOleTimeBoys

Reaction score
lol, smh...

Our beloved Cowboys have been kidnapped by a madman beset on torturing its devoted. Like a father powerless to rescue a kidnapped child put on display by his captor, he clings to every chance to see even a fading glance of his long lost child, tragically enabling it to continue.

Therein lies our conundrum

...and fans continue to send the money to Jerry so he can continue to ruin this once great team, then wonder why the Cowboys have done nothing the past 18 years.

Insanity defined.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score

YR

Keeping a 1-15 coach is a little simplistic looking at record alone. They were 3-13 the year before and going nowhere. They cut the fat and went young. That 1-15 team was one of my favorites from an effort standpoint. You could see Jimmy's influence. They had scrubs who were playing hurt and going all out for Jimmy. It is how things had to be built.

As someone who watched since 1975 and saw many great moments until then the last Landry years were depressing. That 1-15 season showed that maybe there was some hope in a new way of doing things.

Gaede

Reaction score
Great article; very well written. I actually love all the tidbits about Jerrry and his off-field personality. Very informative and gives us a different look at the man than presented in public. It also helps demonstrate why so many love/hate the man: his personality, and his ego, are both bigger than the state...he is an ambiguous figure, to be sure, i can't tell you if I love him to death or hate him to hell. That's precisely what the author is trying to get across.

And I agree with him on Manziel.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Keeping a 1-15 coach is a little simplistic looking at record alone. They were 3-13 the year before and going nowhere. They cut the fat and went young. That 1-15 team was one of my favorites from an effort standpoint. You could see Jimmy's influence. They had scrubs who were playing hurt and going all out for Jimmy. It is how things had to be built.

As someone who watched since 1975 and saw many great moments until then the last Landry years were depressing. That 1-15 season showed that maybe there was some hope in a new way of doing things.

I agree. It might have been depressing going 1-15. I remember getting made fun of back then for being a Cowboy fan. By the middle of the 1990 season I could see improvement. I enjoyed the ride and I'll always be grateful to Jimmy for it. I don't care what Jerry says. If he had anything to do with the building of those teams we would have seen the results by now.