News: ESPN: Source: Browns QB Watson suspended 6 games

Mannix

Reaction score
We’ll see if the league accepts the 6 game suspension or will appeal since it fell short of their recommendations.

Or the league could simply take the high road saying they argued for more but accept the ruling.

The league could also argue pending the upcoming trials next year that more discipline could be forthcoming.
Someone please remind me again why Zeke's case had no arbitration in it?

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
The NFL has 3 days to appeal the decision.

If either side appeals then Goddell will make the decision on the suspension.

So, no the NFL does not have control over the judge's decisions, but they can appeal and then suspend him however long they want.

This is interesting, didn't know this.....hell I thought Goodell and league were two peas in the same pod (lol). If this is true, I can see an appeal and Goodell tacking on another 2 games since Watson's team was agreeable to a max of 8 games. I can also see him making it 10 games, giving him room to reduce it down to 8 if they appeal.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Someone please remind me again why Zeke's case had no arbitration in it?

Because he's a cowboy. I enjoy watching football, but stuff like this is where I wish there was a competitive alternative league at times.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
This is interesting, didn't know this.....hell I thought Goodell and league were two peas in the same pod (lol). If this is true, I can see an appeal and Goodell tacking on another 2 games since Watson's team was agreeable to a max of 8 games. I can also see him making it 10 games, giving him room to reduce it down to 8 if they appeal.
You're probably right.

They will do something, but do nothing at the same time.

It's all about saving face, but I don't think they're able to do that in this situation.

Motorola

Reaction score
I have to give a shout out to a poster on here that I can't remember. In a Watson thread I asked what was the holdup in determining his suspension? Someone here responded with, wait until training camp when the attention can be diverted.
TC is no diversion --the suspension is on the news and sports networks NOW. This will be front and center for the rest of the week, because the Commissioner has three days to appeal Judge Robinson"s decision.
The HOF ceremony this weekend will abate some of the controversy...but by no means this ruling-issue is going away.

GoldenR

Reaction score
He will get more than 6 games, the NFL will appeal this and I assume 10 games will be the outcome. They are not going to let this go for sake of letting it go. The female fan base in the NFL is going up at a record % and the NFL will protect that badge of honor, right? In the end they will say it has been 27 games including last year.( If they give him 10 this year.)

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The NFL is about as consistent as a 13 year old. I expected this guy to be out half a season at least.

I just seen something on NFLN but only caught part of it.
Since it was from an independent or appointed person(s), like an arbitrator, the NFL still can challenge it.
NFLPA said they will not challenge it.

I am sure they will be talking about it all day though. I have not read through all the posts yet, maybe it has been mentioned.

kskboys

Reaction score
On the flipside, the NFL mostly just wants this to go away. If they appeal, they just lengthened this issue.

Look at every decision they make as about money, and then everything becomes clear. Do they make more money if they suspend him two more games? The mediator gave them an out. I'd be surprised if they don't take it and run.

slick325

Reaction score
Appropriate amount of games IMHO. Now that is out of the way, get back to football DeShaun Watson. Shake the rust of not playing for a year in TC. Focus on football and cut the alleged "freaky" stuff out.

kskboys

Reaction score
You're probably right.

They will do something, but do nothing at the same time.

It's all about saving face, but I don't think they're able to do that in this situation.
Not about saving face, it's about what makes them money.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Elliott's suspension has nothing to do with this.

If he hadn't been really stupid and pulled that stunt at the St. Patty's Day parade, he might have been OK. Any player under investigation does that, deserves that. One of the panel members admitted that affected their recommendation to suspend, basically tying Goodell's hands.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
The NFL is about as consistent as a 13 year old. I expected this guy to be out half a season at least.

Per the arbitrator's report and what Ive been saying for weeks in here:

Robinson's comprehensive 15-page conclusion stated that though Watson violated the personal conduct policy, there was not enough evidence to justify an indefinite suspension, a source told ESPN's Jeremy Fowler.

You cant say they are inconsistent as this is the first case using an actual arbitrator. What happened in the past is simply irrelevant to what is done today. For those of you that are gonna be screaming he should have had a year, please tell me exactly what evidence the NFL presented to the arbitrator to justify an indefinite suspension. Ill wait for that.

Like it or not, Watson's team is absolutely top notch. Watson will not be fined and only lose his game checks. That equates to $57,500 per game for a total of 345k. chump change and brilliant on their part.