News: ESPN: With cap issues looming in 2022, Dallas Cowboys need to win now

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Our roster turns over between 50-70% every two years. Key players/starters on offense are signed through 2024-2025. Defense is in the middle of a transformation.

No team in the league has >75% of their roster tied up beyond 2 years (that I know of).

Which further supports my position that they will need future money for future contracts and signings.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cooper and Dak have base salaries of $20M for 2022. Restructure their bases to vet min and make the rest bonus spread out over the remaining years, up to $38M right there.

And what will the costs be for both for the following years? Finish the work.

Tyron and Martin can easily be restructured for $10M. I didn’t even bother to look at their contracts. Can easily restructure the bases of Jarwin, Lewis, and Brown for another $10M.

Of course not. You do half the work. The easy kick the can part.

Already at $58M.

How much more do you want? I can trade Collins and save probably $10M on the cap. I can cut Lawrence saving a bunch or trade Lawrence.

Probably $80M just like that.

Some fantasy you’ve got there.

conner01

Reaction score
Cooper and Prescott.

Both have a base salary of 20mil next year.
Max restructure is roughly 19mil of that 20mil.
Split 19mil over 5 years(Dak has 5 years remaining in 22) and Cooper can be given void years.
1mil new base +3.8mil new prorated bonus + existing bonus= 2022 cap hit.
For Cooper, that cap hit goes from 22mil to 6.8mil.
For Dak, that cap hit goes from 34.45mil to 19.25mil.
That's roughly 30mil created in cap space.
Prescott’s contract is designed to move money to 2026 with a voidable year, actually 2
That would clear cap space but as of now he has a 14 mil cap hit after his contract expires with the 2025 voidable year and a restructure raises that even higher
Obviously they designed it with that option in mind but using both years creates a couple of issues
Excessive cost of keeping him and very high costs after he leaves if you let him walk
Teams know the cap pretty well and they may know those costs won’t be a big deal by those years
So I’m assuming they plan on or Atleast created the option of doing what you suggest
Not sure I’d do it with Cooper just because it increases the cost of moving on from him if you want to
But they are options for sure

conner01

Reaction score
And what will the costs be for both for the following years? Finish the work.
Looks like the cost is all the money moves to voidable years. He already had 14 mil in 2025 which is after his contract expires

Of course not. You do half the work. The easy kick the can part.

Some fantasy you’ve got there.

John813

Reaction score
Prescott’s contract is designed to move money to 2026 with a voidable year, actually 2
That would clear cap space but as of now he has a 14 mil cap hit after his contract expires with the 2025 voidable year and a restructure raises that even higher
Obviously they designed it with that option in mind but using both years creates a couple of issues
Excessive cost of keeping him and very high costs after he leaves if you let him walk
Teams know the cap pretty well and they may know those costs won’t be a big deal by those years
So I’m assuming they plan on or Atleast created the option of doing what you suggest
Not sure I’d do it with Cooper just because it increases the cost of moving on from him if you want to
But they are options for sure

Now if they restructure Daks deal and extend him before the void years they can avoid that dead cap from the void years. It puts the heat on the team in the future to extend him or have 20+mil dead cap and no QB.

Cooper, I'm still 50/50 on trading him and re-signing Gallup(if he could be cheaper).

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
I doubt Cooper goes. Lawrence will go before him. June 1st cut saves 19 million

I really like Cooper, but for the price of Cooper I can have both Gallup and Wilson. Otherwise, Gallup walks, but I struggle to pay Cooper 22M/year.

Lawrence is in the same boat - I'll defend the player all day, but not at >$25M/year.

Both those contracts need to change in some fashion.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I can’t wait to read all of the fan denials saying it’s not an issue.
Ita not good, but honestly it could be worse. The play of cheap rookies Parson and Golston lets us get out of Lawrence's contract. Ideally you would have liked to do it in 2023 when the dead cap isnt as much. But the rookies play has made that 2022 out much easier to take without creating a weakness.

I believe the depressed cap is done after 2022, and in 2023 the TV deal takes effect. So future caps should be more manageable. Lawrence is the big shoe to drop. We are at 13 in the red. Simply cutting him puts us at 6 below. It becomes far more manageable at that point

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
No idea if he'd go for it but I'd try to restructure Lawrence by removing his voidable year and pushing some of the costs there.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ita not good, but honestly it could be worse. The play of cheap rookies Parson and Golston lets us get out of Lawrence's contract. Ideally you would have liked to do it in 2023 when the dead cap isnt as much. But the rookies play has made that 2022 out much easier to take without creating a weakness.

Sure, provided you then use that money saved to give Gregory his big deal to keep him around.

I believe the depressed cap is done after 2022, and in 2023 the TV deal takes effect. So future caps should be more manageable. Lawrence is the big shoe to drop. We are at 13 in the red. Simply cutting him puts us at 6 below. It becomes far more manageable at that point

I think he's the big money-saver that they have to move on from. And then they can figure out how to structure Gregory's deal for future years.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Do we really have "cap issues looming"? The salary cap is expected to boom next year and Stephen Jones seems to always find a way to make it all work. I'm not against "win now", but I don't think it's win now or never.

Adreme

Reaction score
Collins is probably gone, the rest stay.

That simply is not enough savings. You save 1.5 million cutting Collins (6 if it’s post June 1) and realistically you need about 20.

Basically Cooper is gone because that saves 16m. That gets you most of what you need and is by far the largest cap savings available.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Every year we hear these guys say we will be in cap hell next year ....... Then nothing happens

Only time we've been in Cap hell is when we were paying off the contracts that we made before there was a cap.

All this is ....... Is an excuse for the don't sign Dak guys to cry for a few months.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Sure, provided you then use that money saved to give Gregory his big deal to keep him around.

I think he's the big money-saver that they have to move on from. And then they can figure out how to structure Gregory's deal for future years.
The upside is all of our 2nd contracts are old money. Makes it more manageable once the TV hits. We will have a few key guys to lock up around, I think Martin is the biggest name.

With Gregory, we get lucky that we will still be in the depressed cap. The market value for non top 5 pass rushers isnt likely to spike. Similar to WR's last year, when people predicted Golloday, Robinson, and Godwin would all get deals better than Coopers. None of them did because the depressed cap didn't really allow the markets to be reset. I think the max Gregory would be able to get on the open market would be 2020 top 10 money, which is about 17 AAV. Im not gonna say the market wont reset, but I think its unlikely until 2022, when the depressed cap ends and the new money is on the horizon. I think with Gregory we are lucky in that way

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The upside is all of our 2nd contracts are old money. Makes it more manageable once the TV hits. We will have a few key guys to lock up around, I think Martin is the biggest name.

With Gregory, we get lucky that we will still be in the depressed cap. The market value for non top 5 pass rushers isnt likely to spike. Similar to WR's last year, when people predicted Golloday, Robinson, and Godwin would all get deals better than Coopers. None of them did because the depressed cap didn't really allow the markets to be reset. I think the max Gregory would be able to get on the open market would be 2020 top 10 money, which is about 17 AAV. Im not gonna say the market wont reset, but I think its unlikely until 2022, when the depressed cap ends and the new money is on the horizon. I think with Gregory we are lucky in that way

I really hope so. However it may just lead to him demanding a one year deal or franchise tag because his agent knows this.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Some tough decisions ahead, no doubt about that.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I think DLaw does the dirty duty and is under appreciated however 27M is 27M MIA.
and we're 5-1. Hard decisions lay ahead.
I love the guy and he's one of my favorite players but that ain't a hard decision at all. Same goes for Collins. Don't get me wrong I know Collins is superior to Steele but they've shown they can get the job done with Steele. And these guys simply aren't here when we need them to be right now.