Estimated 5 year contract for Amari Cooper

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
There is no real discussion about his deal.
We spent a first round pick on a guy who is to become a FA after this coming season.

Everything else then giving him a longterm deal is not a consideration.

We are bound here. Give him whatever he demands. Stupid FO move. So pay for it.

Cooper can ask for anything he wants, and they'll have to give it to him, or look like fools for giving up a 1st on a year and a half rental at 14.5.

Like the player. Still don't like the deal.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Definitely in the ballpark for what I'm expecting, but I don't like how Spotrac presents their numbers.

They highlight the five year extension with $82.5M in new money while leaving readers to glean that the deal also includes $13M from the final year of Amari Cooper's rookie contract.

In total, they are paying Cooper $95.5M over the entire six years of the contract.

And why are they carrying over only $13M from Copper's 5th year option when that number is actually on the books for $13.924M?

My projection for the extension is also adding five years to Cooper's contract, so the entire deal runs over six seasons the same as Spotrac's.

I went a bit higher, though, with a total value of $100M, which is an average annual value (AAV) of $16.67M, third among WRs. Coop and his agent would be able to brag about being the first wideout to get a $100M contract.

46% of the deal is guaranteed and it pays $48M in cash over the first three seasons.

2019: $3.2M signing bonus, $7M base salary (fully guaranteed) = $10.2M cap number
2020: $3.2M signing bonus, $11M base salary (fully guaranteed) = $14.2M cap number
2021: $3.2M signing bonus, $14M base salary (12M guaranteed) = $17.2M cap number
2022: $3.2M signing bonus, $15M base salary = $18.2M cap number
2023: $3.2M signing bonus, $18M base salary = $21.2M cap number
2024: $0 signing bonus, $20M base salary = $20M cap number

This would lower Cooper's '19 cap number by $3.72M.

The team could also re-structure the 2020 base salary to create $8M in cap room, if needed.

Coop would only turn 30 in the last year of the contract, so he'd stand a very good chance of getting most of the money in this deal.

Yes, it's really 13.924M for 2019 plus new money and new years when considering the new contract value.

If officially reported as 6 years, 113.924M, then it's really 5 years, 100M.

Verdict

Reaction score

Dallas would save 3 million in cap for 2019.

Let's get this done.

It's pretty crazy to think that if Amari signs for this deal he will start out playing for less than we would have paid Dez at the end. And Amari is a far superior player to Dez at any point in Dez career, eapecially as it pertains to route running.

sideon

Reaction score
Replacing Dez with Cooper. Talk about a home run? Night and day.
Except Cooper is way more inconsistent than Dez.
It's pretty crazy to think that if Amari signs for this deal he will start out playing for less than we would have paid Dez at the end. And Amari is a far superior player to Dez at any point in Dez career, eapecially as it pertains to route running.
The only thing he has over Dez is speed & route running, he has had way more drops than Dez since coming into the league. The main criticism for Amari since college was his hands and consistency. I'm convinced that most Cowboys fans only knew the name and never watched the player.

conner01

Reaction score
Yep. The great thing about Amari is that he has a playing style that is likely to age well.

Ex:

Dez ran horrible routes and relied on freakish athletic ability to make plays. When his athleticism edge over the defender started to fade, so did his production.

Amari is an excellent athlete, but really thrives on running sharp routes. Great route runners tend to continue to produce as they lose their athletic edge.
Can you imagine what dez could have been if he had worked on his route running and been used in more than jump ball routes
Cooper is a smart player who gets everything out of his talent

conner01

Reaction score
Except Cooper is way more inconsistent than Dez.

The only thing he has over Dez is speed & route running, he has had way more drops than Dez since coming into the league. The main criticism for Amari since college was his hands and consistency. I'm convinced that most Cowboys fans only knew the name and never watched the player.
Cooper is no worse than dez at drops

mattjames2010

Reaction score

No, he isn't. Stop trolling.

Amari still needs to show he can consistently stay focused on the field and not lead the league in drops again.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Cooper is no worse than dez at drops

Are you kidding me? Dude, he had a near HISTORIC level of drops his rookie and third season. What are you people even talking about?

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Coopers-Drop-Rate-Ranks-Among-NFLs-Worst-479158283.html

Wrote Scott Barrett of PFF: “Cooper led the league in drops (18) and drop rate (20.0 percent) in his rookie season (2015), but then seemed to get past the issue in 2016, dropping only four passes. In 2017, Cooper again led the league in drop rate (17.2 percent). Not only are these numbers bad, but they’re historically bad. Since 2007, there have only been three players to see at least 100 targets and post a drop rate of 17 percent or worse: Braylon Edwards (2007 and 2008), Greg Little (2011) and Cooper (2015 and 2017).”

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Why do so many take an ESTIMATE, or other words a GUESS of what a contract MIGHT be as some kind of actual negotiated contract or how it's going to be after it's actually negotiated?

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
Much more so than I was in favor of that Bryant contract. Cooper is a better WR and teammate.
There were plenty of reasons to worry about a Dez contract, but Cooper is not better than Dez was at the end of 2014. Not even close really. And we should be thankful for that really, as it’s easier to negotiate with a guy who wasn’t 1st team All-Pro and led the league in touchdowns.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
There were plenty of reasons to worry about a Dez contract, but Cooper is not better than Dez was at the end of 2014. Not even close really. And we should be thankful for that really, as it’s easier to negotiate with a guy who wasn’t 1st team All-Pro and led the league in touchdowns.

I think Cooper could be close, but people are too quick to miscast a player legacy and prior play along with recency bias really killing a lot of opinions.

Dez was an elite player that the league feared
Cooper can be an elite player and think he will

conner01

Reaction score
Are you kidding me? Dude, he had a near HISTORIC level of drops his rookie and third season. What are you people even talking about?

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Coopers-Drop-Rate-Ranks-Among-NFLs-Worst-479158283.html

Wrote Scott Barrett of PFF: “Cooper led the league in drops (18) and drop rate (20.0 percent) in his rookie season (2015), but then seemed to get past the issue in 2016, dropping only four passes. In 2017, Cooper again led the league in drop rate (17.2 percent). Not only are these numbers bad, but they’re historically bad. Since 2007, there have only been three players to see at least 100 targets and post a drop rate of 17 percent or worse: Braylon Edwards (2007 and 2008), Greg Little (2011) and Cooper (2015 and 2017).”
And yet here he didn’t have much of a drop problem

mattjames2010

Reaction score
And yet here he didn’t have much of a drop problem

He didn't have "much of a problem" in 2016 either, now did he? When you compare to Edwards and nobody Greg Little, there is an issue. One year is a fluke, two years a gigantic red flag sticking straight out of your head.

I keep telling you folks, go onto a Raiders forum and see what they have to say about Cooper's time there. He's a guy who loses focus and doesn't give 100% when things are down. Is it really all that surprising that his best season came when everything around him was working perfectly?

This whole "he's quiet and does his job!" is a myth only because he's in Dallas. He has a spotty history of both character and play and frankly, giving up a first round pick for a guy with stone hands for 50% of the seasons he has played is absolutely moronic.

DIAF

DivaLover159
Reaction score
I'd take Zeke. Especially with Dak as our QB.

Remember what our offense looked like with Zeke and Dak BEFORE amari got here.

That right there tells you which one you should keep. No knock on Zeke, really, but RBs are EXTREMELY replaceable.