Euro 2012 Thread

danielofthesaints

Reaction score
As much as I want Spain to tear Italy a new orifice, Spain's MO is just the opposite. I would be extremely surprised if there was more than 3 goals scored in the final. The question is who will spain use as their "striker"?

joseephuss

Reaction score
The odds are better of this going to a shootout than there being a total of 3 goals scored between the two teams.

MC KAos

Reaction score
i also like italy, they are the masters at mucking up the game, playing insane defense, and countering like crazy. i think it will be 1-0

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
joseephuss;4605995 said:
Yep, it is all a gamble. I thought the bigger problem for Portugal was having Bruno Alves even being one of the guys taking a kick. And if he did have to be one of the 5 he should have been #3 and Nani #4.

I do like your idea of the best guy being #4 as it increases the odds he gets a kick, but I have no problem putting them 5th.

Where did you find the stat of 18% of the time? I have never found good stats on PKs and am curious if other stats exist like percentage to the left or right and stuff like that.

it was from a chelsea match vs bayern. i forget all the details but the 18% stuck with me.
i am guessing it is an EPL stat as we get the English commentators from EPL.

in the game Drogba went 5th... scored and won the match.

Ii that game Ashley Cole scored at 3rd spot I think.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
spain v italy intrigues me.

the wild child can definitely score versus spain .. or anyone... but he is almost as likely to get frustrated and kicked off the field.

spain plays torres is they are smart. you need that caliber of pure striker v italy. unless they want to go to PKs.

yes i am chels homer but torres is the third best true striker in this tourney imho. you dont give that away for another great midfield option.

spain may well play dinkball for 60 mins then bring in torres and win the game anyway with a late goal.

watching pirlo versus the spanish midfield is going to be special stuff. lots of pressuring and a good chance for a giveaway goal if they have the strikers to finish up top.

Ren

Reaction score
I think the Norwegian tv play by play guys is sitting right next to the Spanish TV guys cause you can hear them screaming over the Norwegian announcers

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
Wow, what a beautiful pass on that second goal, just text book futbol.

Ren

Reaction score
that looks like a hammy, but we're watching italy so there's a good chance he heals in record time and runs back out there in 5 min. They don't have any more subs left either so if the game wasn't over before it will be now playing 10 on 11

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score

VIVA ESPAÑA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

joseephuss

Reaction score
Looks like Spain too all the "they are boring" personally and took it out on Italy. They stepped it up a notch.

MC KAos

Reaction score
didnt get to watch the game, was it as lopsided as the score shows?

MC KAos

Reaction score
just watched the goals, all 4 were absolutely BEAUTIFUL!! the commentators said that spain is the greatest team ever? maybe the greatest european team ever, but i cant say with certainty that they are better than the 94-2002 brazil team, or the 58-70 brazil teams with pele. if they win the world cup, then they can claim that title

MC KAos

Reaction score
between 94 and 02, brazil won 2 world cups, making it to all 3 finals, and 2 copa americas, id say thats more impressive.

danielofthesaints

Reaction score
MC KAos;4608663 said:
between 94 and 02, brazil won 2 world cups, making it to all 3 finals, and 2 copa americas, id say thats more impressive.

As a huge Spain fan, I have to agree with you about the 58-70 team. Even though Copa America doesn't have the caliber of teams that Euro does, the championships that Brazil won then speak for themselves. I think the victory today allowed the two teams to be talked about in this manner, but I still believe the edge goes to Brazil. However, if Spain wins 2014 World, then I think they can call themselves the greatest ever.

And yes, it was fairly lopsided. Italy had some good chances here and there from some nice crosses from pirlo, but Spain was just too much for them. Once Italy went down a man, you could tell they had settled for the loss.