Euro 2012 Thread

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
RastaRocket;4603314 said:
I have always thought the same thing. Rooney has flashes of great play but I have never thought he was the superstar they make him out to be. I feel like he just takes a ton of shots.

He's a good poacher. Seems to always be in the right place at the right time.

He gets overrated bigtime though.

UKCowboysFan

Reaction score
UKCowboysFan;4588062 said:
I think there are probably four teams with a good shot at winning, and then another four that have an outside chance. For me the winners will come from Group B or C as none of the teams in groups A & D are close to the top teams in there.

So as predicted the winner will come from group B or C.

We got what we deserved, and to be honest what any sane person expected.

We just aren't as good as any of the top teams, even with the players that were missing. We lost three decent central midfield players (Lampard, Barry & Wilshere) before the tournament to injuries which left us woefully short of options. I mean Jordan Henderson got to play after Parker went off, and he's about 4th choice for a very average Liverpool team.

With a first choice squad we are a quarter-final team, so to get there with this squad was about as good as we could expect.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Lampard and Gerrard are the same player in my opinion. I like both guys, but they don't seem to work well when they are both out there at the same time. That is why I didn't think losing Lampard was that big of a deal even though he is one of my favorite players. Although they could have gone with 5 midfielders and one guy up top if Lampard was available, but I doubt they would have strayed from the 4-4-2 they played.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
If Ronaldo wins this thing I think the Ronaldo > Messi talk will start to heat up bigtime.

RastaRocket

Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.
Reaction score
CATCH17;4603602 said:
If Ronaldo wins this thing I think the Ronaldo > Messi talk will start to heat up bigtime.

Meh, Messi can't even compete in it. The World Cup is where it is at internationally to compare them.

MC KAos

Reaction score
CATCH17;4603602 said:

RastaRocket;4603623 said:
Meh, Messi can't even compete in it. The World Cup is where it is at internationally to compare them.

plus messi's national team is just a complete mess, they have all the talent in the world, but they cant get a decent coach, the AFA is as incompetent as they come, plus argentina cant seem to produce a decent goalie. Messi's legacy will suffer if they dont win a world cup, but he wont ever be considered a lesser player than ronaldo, because even if portugal wins the euro, i doubt they will ever win the world cup, and argentina is bound to win the copa america eventually in Messi's career.

RastaRocket

Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.
Reaction score
MC KAos;4604166 said:
plus messi's national team is just a complete mess, they have all the talent in the world, but they cant get a decent coach, the AFA is as incompetent as they come, plus argentina cant seem to produce a decent goalie. Messi's legacy will suffer if they dont win a world cup, but he wont ever be considered a lesser player than ronaldo, because even if portugal wins the euro, i doubt they will ever win the world cup, and argentina is bound to win the copa america eventually in Messi's career.

I agree.

joseephuss

Reaction score
MC KAos;4604166 said:

If Portugal wins then I do think there will be talk about Ronaldo closing the gap on Messi or maybe a small minority will even see Ronaldo as having gained a slight edge over Messi. That doesn't mean they would be correct, but I do believe there will be talk about it. It isn't as if the gap between the two players is that big anyway. They are the two best players in the game with Messi being the best right now.

People like the here and now, so if Portugal wins it will be fresh in everyone's mind. These things tend to fluctuate. Then if Messi ever wins a Copa America, perspectives will change back again.

I also think the Euro Cup is more highly thought of than the Copa America on the world stage. While ultimately success at the World Cup matters the most, winning at the Euro Cup is seen as a better accomplishment than winning the Copa America.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
England's midfield when healthy is it's weakness. I am fan of both Garrard and Lampard but neither has pace. England needs to develop a young midfielder terribly.

Rooney was this good at age 19 thus the hype. He just hasn't improved. In fairness he was rusty for this tourney and that probably showed. He is world class but not elite. I'd use Rooney as the top of a 5 man mid-field diamond with Carroll as my lone striker. 4-5-1. Carroll gives you an aerial attack. 5 midfielders gives you a chance to actually complete some passes.

Messi is easily the best player in the world. He is far more dangerous than Ronaldo who at times disappears completely. Messi has the creativity and agility of Pele. Plus he has that insane accuracy on shots. Ronaldo has more size and cooler hair, lol but little reason to be thought above Messi.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Rooney looks pretty dumb what with his hairplugs and it seems he often disappears in big games.

You are right, he was 18 or so when he "burst" onto the scene in Euro 2004 but he just hasn't gotten any better.

I also wonder how a pug looking character like him has such a high girlie voice.

joseephuss

Reaction score
jterrell;4604336 said:
England's midfield when healthy is it's weakness. I am fan of both Garrard and Lampard but neither has pace. England needs to develop a young midfielder terribly.

Rooney was this good at age 19 thus the hype. He just hasn't improved. In fairness he was rusty for this tourney and that probably showed. He is world class but not elite. I'd use Rooney as the top of a 5 man mid-field diamond with Carroll as my lone striker. 4-5-1. Carroll gives you an aerial attack. 5 midfielders gives you a chance to actually complete some passes.

Messi is easily the best player in the world. He is far more dangerous than Ronaldo who at times disappears completely. Messi has the creativity and agility of Pele. Plus he has that insane accuracy on shots. Ronaldo has more size and cooler hair, lol but little reason to be thought above Messi.

I think Messi is the best player. I also think he plays in a system that is perfect for him. The Barca/Spanish system is tailored for his skill set. That is partially why he hasn't had as much success with Argentina. They play a different system.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
joseephuss;4604389 said:
I think Messi is the best player. I also think he plays in a system that is perfect for him. The Barca/Spanish system is tailored for his skill set. That is partially why he hasn't had as much success with Argentina. They play a different system.

I'd love to discuss Argentinian soccer intelligently but every time they are on tv and zoom on in the female fans i forget there is a game afoot....

I do agree the Barca style is perfect for him. But it's also why they are the best overall team in the world(even if my Chels did beat them).

joseephuss

Reaction score
jterrell;4604429 said:
I'd love to discuss Argentinian soccer intelligently but every time they are on tv and zoom on in the female fans i forget there is a game afoot....

I do agree the Barca style is perfect for him. But it's also why they are the best overall team in the world(even if my Chels did beat them).

Barca was in need of Villa up top this year. They also need a better keeper. Even so, I agree they are one of the best teams.

I like the rumors of Drogba to Barca that are going around since he was spotted around Spaion. Not going to happen, but I like them.

Do you think the Blues are going to land Modric? They will most likely lose Sturridge, which is a hard loss to judge. Talented guy, but maybe a bit selfish. Maybe a healthy Sturridge could have helped England.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
joseephuss;4604437 said:
Barca was in need of Villa up top this year. They also need a better keeper. Even so, I agree they are one of the best teams.

I like the rumors of Drogba to Barca that are going around since he was spotted around Spaion. Not going to happen, but I like them.

Do you think the Blues are going to land Modric? They will most likely lose Sturridge, which is a hard loss to judge. Talented guy, but maybe a bit selfish. Maybe a healthy Sturridge could have helped England.

I do think Sturridge could help England in WC2014. Under AVB thats all Chels had for a while there. He has pace and skill if not extreme creativity. Not sure he knows exactly how to blend yet but his skill is top shelf. He is more skill and pace than England has without him for sure.

Drogba is going to China IMO. At least for the year. But he is a friend of Messi and played in his All-Star exhibitions scoring quite frequently from Messi middle runs. If that did happen, wow, Barca. I cant even think of the Barca GK off the top of my head which says a lot about how winning 5-2 every game minimizes the GK, lol. Definitely not EPL style.

I still hope we get Hulk and Modric. Apparently neither is set. Was extremely pleased with signing Hazard who will only get better.

Hear we may lose my man Raul. I like him better than most admittedly but he seems a perfect Chels fit. I am still a newbie as far as what sources to believe on Chelsea FC so try to stay balanced and patient. With the rich owner we get linked to every good player available.

Was glad they kept DiMatteo around. Big fan of his ability to manage the roster and provide proper strategy each game. (Yes, even tossing off a few EPL games to clinch the Champs League)

August can't get here fast enough.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Victor Valdes is the keeper for Barca. He is Spain's third keeper behind Iker Casillas and Pepe Reina. Both those guys are much higher quality in my opinion.

Both AVB and Sturridge have been rumored to land in Tottenham.

MC KAos

Reaction score
joseephuss;4604304 said:
If Portugal wins then I do think there will be talk about Ronaldo closing the gap on Messi or maybe a small minority will even see Ronaldo as having gained a slight edge over Messi. That doesn't mean they would be correct, but I do believe there will be talk about it. It isn't as if the gap between the two players is that big anyway. They are the two best players in the game with Messi being the best right now.

People like the here and now, so if Portugal wins it will be fresh in everyone's mind. These things tend to fluctuate. Then if Messi ever wins a Copa America, perspectives will change back again.

I also think the Euro Cup is more highly thought of than the Copa America on the world stage. While ultimately success at the World Cup matters the most, winning at the Euro Cup is seen as a better accomplishment than winning the Copa America.

i guess that depends who you are speaking to. The copa america is a pretty huge deal everywhere south of the mexico/us border, its the oldest tournament in the world in terms of soccer, and in south america its as important as the world cup.

joseephuss

Reaction score
MC KAos;4604875 said:
i guess that depends who you are speaking to. The copa america is a pretty huge deal everywhere south of the mexico/us border, its the oldest tournament in the world in terms of soccer, and in south america its as important as the world cup.

I did say on a global scale. Talk to countries or continents not involved in either tournament and see which one is seen as more prestigious.

Also, it has long been considered that Brazil does not take the Copa that seriously. That could be debatable.

Push your border a little more south. Mexico is often invited to play in the Copa America. They didn't even send their B team to the tournament last year. They sent their under 23 team, which shows they didn't think it was a huge deal.