Euro 2012 Thread

MC KAos

Reaction score
joseephuss;4604888 said:
I did say on a global scale. Talk to countries or continents not involved in either tournament and see which one is seen as more prestigious.

Also, it has long been considered that Brazil does not take the Copa that seriously. That could be debatable.

Push your border a little more south. Mexico is often invited to play in the Copa America. They didn't even send their B team to the tournament last year. They sent their under 23 team, which shows they didn't think it was a huge deal.

brazil takes the tourny pretty seriously, its just that it comes the year after the world cup, and they use it as the spring board for the "next" team, its usually the same team that eventually plays in the upcoming qualifiers and world cup that they send out to the copa america. and mexico had no choice, they are invited only to fill out the tourny field since there are only 10 teams in CONMEBOL, they need 12 to fill it out, but the invitees are not allowed to bring their full squad, only their sub 23 teams. regardless of how people in asia or africa feel about both tourny's, which i have no clue how anyone on this website would truly know that, messi cant play in the euro cup and ronaldo cant play in the copa, so its as equivalent to each other as its going to get, and about the only way to compare them internationally until one of them makes a deep run at a world cup or wins it.

MC KAos

Reaction score
the battle for the iberian peninsula!! im pretty stoked about this one!

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Spain didn't start my Chels so I am full on in Portugal's corner in this one.

Copa America is arguably the better tourney to watch. Euro is broadcast to the much richer European Block countries and has more fanfare world-wide. I watch both, lol. Tho Copa America is in Spanish with volume off on Deportes or Univision.

MC KAos

Reaction score
i though portugal would have to ugly up this game to have a chance! but they are actually playing quite well! hopefully they can sustain it

MC KAos

Reaction score
second half was quite ugly, ronaldo had a few free kicks and a chance at the end, but couldnt convert, he could strike at any moment, but this game seems to be headed to PKs

MC KAos

Reaction score
wow, first that bizzare switch for the third pk when nani ended up taking it, then the guy that got switched missed his, and how in the world do you not get ronaldo a shot? that was horribly managed

MC KAos

Reaction score
SebastianPruiti ‏@SebastianPruiti
RT @mesqueunprofile: @SebastianPruiti @thefarmerjones why did christiano just stand in the corner and let wade shoot?
Retweeted by John Hollinger

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
MC KAos;4605354 said:
wow, first that bizzare switch for the third pk when nani ended up taking it, then the guy that got switched missed his, and how in the world do you not get ronaldo a shot? that was horribly managed

If I'm not mistaken - the order is determined before the kicks even start.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
nyc-cowboy;4605371 said:
If I'm not mistaken - the order is determined before the kicks even start.

It is.

Portugal blew it. Your best always has to take one of the first three penalty kicks.

joseephuss

Reaction score
I've got no problem with Ronaldo being the 5th guy to kick. It is very common for one of your best if not the best to be the last guy to take a PK. It is a pressure kick and you want someone good taking it.

Drogba was the 5th guy for Chelsea in Champions League this past season. He would have been the 5th guy in 2008 instead of Terry who missed then.

The rumor is that Fabregas was initially slated to go 2nd yesterday. He convinced the manager to put him 5th because he wanted to be in position to seal a victory.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
joseephuss;4605724 said:
I've got no problem with Ronaldo being the 5th guy to kick. It is very common for one of your best if not the best to be the last guy to take a PK. It is a pressure kick and you want someone good taking it.

Drogba was the 5th guy for Chelsea in Champions League this past season. He would have been the 5th guy in 2008 instead of Terry who missed then.

The rumor is that Fabregas was initially slated to go 2nd yesterday. He convinced the manager to put him 5th because he wanted to be in position to seal a victory.

Growing up we always put our best 4th. 2nd best went 1st.

But it's all a gamble.
Many coaches go in reverse order top down. 1,2,3,4,5
This is what maximizes pressure on other team.
But you better have good PK depth to do so.

5th PK taker doesn't shoot like 18% of the time. Not a good idea to risk your best in that spot.

joseephuss

Reaction score
jterrell;4605886 said:
Growing up we always put our best 4th. 2nd best went 1st.

But it's all a gamble.
Many coaches go in reverse order top down. 1,2,3,4,5
This is what maximizes pressure on other team.
But you better have good PK depth to do so.

5th PK taker doesn't shoot like 18% of the time. Not a good idea to risk your best in that spot.

Yep, it is all a gamble. I thought the bigger problem for Portugal was having Bruno Alves even being one of the guys taking a kick. And if he did have to be one of the 5 he should have been #3 and Nani #4.

I do like your idea of the best guy being #4 as it increases the odds he gets a kick, but I have no problem putting them 5th.

Where did you find the stat of 18% of the time? I have never found good stats on PKs and am curious if other stats exist like percentage to the left or right and stuff like that.

joseephuss

Reaction score
A little surprising first half between Germany/Italy although not too surprising. Many have speculated that the central defenders were the weakness of Germany and that is proving true today.

Who thinks Balotelli does something stupid to earn another yellow card in the second half to get ejected and then have to miss the next game? I would not leave him in the game too long in the second half because he is dumb enough to draw that second yellow. He is the T.O. of soccer.

Ren

Reaction score
I said before the knock out stages never to count Italy out. Even though i never actually believe they would get past Germany, i can't say i'm to surprised. I've seen this far to many times in the past, they barely make it out of the group stages get a cheap win or 2 and all of a sudden they're in the finals. To be fair they where clearly the best team in the 2 knock out games they've played so it's not exactly undeserved.

They'll beat Spain on Sunday

danielofthesaints

Reaction score
Ren;4606121 said:
I said before the knock out stages never to count Italy out. Even though i never actually believe they would get past Germany, i can't say i'm to surprised. I've seen this far to many times in the past, they barely make it out of the group stages get a cheap win or 2 and all of a sudden they're in the finals. To be fair they where clearly the best team in the 2 knock out games they've played so it's not exactly undeserved.

They'll beat Spain on Sunday

:lmao2:

Ren

Reaction score
danielofthesaints;4606130 said:

If i told you a week ago they'd be in the finals your reaction would probably be exactly the same.