Everyone we needed to lose won

zeroburrito

Reaction score
viman96;2438419 said:
As of today we need to be more concerned with the Bucs, Packers and Vikings. If we win out then 3 teams from the NFCE will go to the playoffs.

i was just giving some examples...there are more. the point is, we don't even come close to controlling our own destiny.

bootsy

Benched
Reaction score
zeroburrito;2438430 said:
i was just giving some examples...there are more. the point is, we don't even come close to controlling our own destiny.
I wouldn't go that far. We are tied with 2 other teams for the last playoff spot. That's pretty close.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
zeroburrito;2438404 said:
are you sure about that? what if washington wins all their games and the panthers win all of their games? we are behind a few teams, even if we win out we could still be behind them if they also win out. we do not control our own destiny.
Sorry about that. I saw your post late and then had to look at the scenarios.

Washington. It's possible you're correct. If Washington and Dallas finish with 12-4 records, the Commanders win via the 4th Divisional tiebreaker "Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference." Washington would finish second in the NFC East and Dallas would finish third. Dallas' fate would then depend on the second place finishes in the (EDIT) [strike]NFC North,[/strike] NFC South [strike]and West[/strike].

Carolina. You're wrong. Carolina has a date with Tampa. If they beat Tampa and the Buccaneers win the rest of their games, Dallas and Tampa finish with identical 12-4 records. However, since Dallas has already beaten Tampa, we knock out the Bucs for a wild card seed due to condition one/rule one of the Wild Card tiebreaker, "If the tied clubs are from different divisions, Head-to-head applies."

I'll slightly correct my earlier statement. The odds of our controling our own fate fall greatly in our favor. Feel free to panic.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
zeroburrito;2438359 said:
yea, but we don't control our own destiny. not by a long shot. we have put ourselves in a position where we NEED other teams to faulter..

that's not true at all.

all we have to do is win.
this team isn't going to miss the playoffs being 12-4.

the nfc south teams all play each other to wind down the season.
they will take losses.

dallas has the tie-breaker over tampa bay already.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
zeroburrito;2438404 said:
are you sure about that? what if washington wins all their games and the panthers win all of their games? we are behind a few teams, even if we win out we could still be behind them if they also win out. we do not control our own destiny.

If Washington and Carolina win out we get the 6th seed.

Carolina would have to beat Atlanta and Tampa Bay.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
bootsy;2438395 said:
Put the Panthers in the not real category. They are losing today and haven't looked good in wins over Oakland, Detroit, etc. If anyone is looking for a team to come back to the pack it is them.

Delhomme just isn't very good.

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
I'm sure that we do control our destiny because there are many games left between teams that are currently above us. It's likely not possible for 3 non-division winners to finish with 12-4 records (or at least exceedingly unlikely). If I had the energy to research this I would but I don't; plus, I'm pretty damn certain I'm right.

On edit: I see jterrell got to it first.

kramskoi

Reaction score
well hopefully New York will take out Washington next sunday and they'll have another tough game the following week @ Baltimore...Bengals, Eagles and Niners finish the season so if they are going to lose anymore games, Giants and Ravens are the most likely...two losses give Dallas some cushion and may even allow them to win a head to head...

Dallas better plan on winning at Pittsburgh...they can do themselves a considerable favor coming out of Pittsburgh at 9-4 with momentum for the meeting against NYG and then Baltimore in Dallas...Philly may or may not matter by the end.

Wins against SF and SEA at home are poor measures of mettle for a team aspiring to the greatest heights of achievement. A brass-knuckles win at Pittsburgh could be a springboard down the stretch.

Unless Carolina "really" collapses down the stretch, i think the real race may be between Dallas and Atlanta, who have an easier schedule the rest of the way: @ SD, @ NO, TB, @ MN, and finally finishing at home against the juggernaut Rams. What they did to Carolina today was especially impressive. This might further indicate trouble brewing on the horizon for the Panthers

Dallas and Atlanta probably both hope for the collapse of both Washington and Carolina. That would flip the wildcards to both teams, with only the final record determining which would be #5 and #6.

Dallas should probably seek the sixth and final seed because they can avoid New York until the Championship game. As it stands, they would rematch Arizona in the WC round and then Tampa in the divisional.

Maybe its too early in the game to get caught up in the speculation with five games remaining. Injuries, bad luck, upsets, trap games and what not will also hold sway over the final pecking order.

That said, it is quite a sobering thought that at least theoretically Dallas could finish 12-4 and miss the playoffs...it rarely plays out in the real world but just underscores the need for Dallas to get themselves in the correct frame of mind for the battles to come.

Finally, a honest assessment of the situation must be rather sobering for the Cowboys. They will be on the road the entire way and they will need to stay healthy at key positions to have the best chance of success.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
zeroburrito;2438415 said:
that does not get us into the playoffs alone. other teams would have to lose. we aren't the 6th seed yet.

the other teams also play each other so there is NO way they can all win out.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;2438697 said:
the other teams also play each other so there is NO way they can all win out.

Tampa Bay and Carolina could tie and both finish 12-3-1.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
We are pulling for the Giants to beat the Commanders.

I thought the Cardinals would beat the Giants, but I was wrong.

I think Carolina will miss the playoffs. I said they were in for a big fall, and they got destroyed today.

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
zeroburrito;2438415 said:
that does not get us into the playoffs alone. other teams would have to lose. we aren't the 6th seed yet.

If we win out, we will make it.

utrunner07

Reaction score
viman96;2438401 said:
But we do control out own destiny. If we win out then we get in.

Not true.

And by the way...allow me to introduce you to reality:

Sea
@Pitt
NY
Balt
@ Philli

Sea is an easy win...so we will probably struggle
@ Pitt -hard
NY - Hader
Balt Hard
@ Philli - Never Easy

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
utrunner07;2438799 said:
Not true.

Sadly I was thinking that while they were showing some graphics today and if we win out, but a couple of other teams do as well, we still wouldn't get in. We've got to take care of our part, and win out, but we need some others to lose a game or two down the stretch.

StylisticS

Reaction score
Man that Pittsburgh game will be huge. If we win Thursday, you know that game will be on SNF on NBC.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Are doubters even reading the informative replies in this thread?

noletime95

Reaction score
Remaining schedules are not in the Cowboys favor at all:

Washington: NYG, @ Balt, @ Cin, Phi, @ SF. I'd be suprised if Washington doesn't manage to go AT LEAST 10-6 with a very good shot at 11-5 (I think they manage to split the next two). The last three all look like W's at this point. I believe Washington will have the tiebreaker vs. Dallas. Even if Dalls catches Wash in Division, right now Wash. also has the better conference record.

Carolina: @ GB, TB, Den, @ NYG, @ NO. Although they have a game lead on Dallas, I kinda like the Boys chances of beating out Carolina. In fact, I like em better than the chances of beating out the Skins. Dallas has a good chance to win the tiebreak by virtue of a conf record (if Dallas loses to Pitt) or common oppenents. I think 11-5 is best case for the Panthers.

Atlanta: @SD, @ NO, TB, @ Min, STL. Right now, ATL has the tiebreak by virtue of conf record. Only way that changes is if Dallas loses to Pitt and ATL beats SD. Dallas likely would win the common oppenent battle if that happens.

Tampa: NO, @ CAR, @ ATL, SD, Oak: 11-5 or better IMO. Last two games will likely be W's. In a 2-way tie, Dallas gets the tie-break by virture of head to head. In a 3-way tie, TB currently has the better conference record. Not sure how that would work.

GB, CHI and Min are all still factors, but I highly doubt two of those teams end up 10-6 or better. And I think we all agree that Dallas will have to win at least 10 games to make the playoffs.

However, I believe it will take 11. I think ATL will manage to win 10 games and has a good chance to hold the tiebreak on Dallas. I think TB takes the South, nullifying the only tiebreak Dallas currently holds. I also think Washington wins at least 10 games and will hold the tiebreak on Dallas. Carolina would have to totally fall apart not to win 10 games and may well go 11-5 (as I suggested earlier, Dallas probably gets the tie-break over Carolina).

I don't think a team has ever missed the playoffs in the modern era at 11-5. However, plently have missed it going 10-6, including Cleveland last year. It's not going to be easy at all for Dallas. SEA, Balt and @ PHI are must wins. Then Dallas has to manage a split @ Pitt and NYG.