Twitter: Extension Elliott looking for would exceed Gurley's 4yr $57.5 million deal

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
You sound like an old man yelling at the clouds. Do you get on here and moan and complain when a team cuts a player that is still under contract? Absolutely not. You probably applaud it for "doing good business moves". Do you berate a team for asking a player to take less money? Absolutely not. You probably applaud that, too. Why shouldn't the team honor contracts but players should? Go somewhere else with that junk. The double standard people have of teams and players is ridiculous. The NFL doesn't have guaranteed contracts and is the most violent sport we have and the RB position is the most disposable. Good for these players wanting to get paid while owners bring in hundreds of millions each every year.

I sound like a business owner. You sound like a disgruntled employee.

Teams can cut players and if its guaranteed they still get paid. Like Romo was still getting paid. If its not guaranteed, then they don't get paid. Its whatever is in the contract.

Taking less money to remain with the team they can do if they agree to it. The player can refuse and if his monry is guaranteed he will still get paid.

Teams have to honor what's in the contract. You obviously don't understand how these contracts work. That's why the guaranteed money is so important. Its all negotiated prior.

You also sound like a guy that hasn't run his own business before. Trust me, when you run your own business, you risk everything, and you put it all on the line everyday, its a different mindset. Maybe one day you can appreciate that.

superonyx

Reaction score
Because the collective agreement said you can keep guys around on the rookie scale for 5 years. Why would anyone lose that kind of cheap pay? We burned the 4th pick in the draft in order to have that ability. Outside the 1st round is only 4 years.

Those are the rules, that is the agreement he signed. Maybe he gets testy with one year left, but two is ridiculous.
Oh so its ok to violate a contract with 1 year left but not 2? Surely you can see the problem with this logic.
I understand we love the idea of having a guy on the cheap for 5 years. Why wouldnt we.
But life isnt black or white. So here we are.
No need to vilify either side. Its a smart move from the Cowboys for drafting him and a smart move from Zeke for demanding a new deal.

SeaTurtle1

Reaction score
Lol... who cares what they would do?
This team doesn't have a Belichek, or a Brady to be able to cover for the loss in talent.
Well we have a QB who wants to be paid over 10 million more a year than Brady. And he will get it. So that better be able to cover for quite a bit.

I'll Grant you Garrett is no Belichick.

TheFinisher

Reaction score
I'm surprised by this, and am now fully on board with trading this jack*** to the highest bidder.

Not worth the headache anymore.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Overall offense bottom half of the league.

Leading rusher due to most carries which is even more reason for concern as far as longevity goes.

As far as passing goes, we didn’t have Coop for the first 3rd of the season and we sure as hell didn’t have a competent OC which is why we had to rely so heavily on Zeke.
So , how does it shake out without Ezekiel ?

glimmerman

Reaction score
Good points.

Initially I though Elliott might have caught our ownership off guard like he has the fans but the more I think about it maybe not. This might explain why they haven’t extended Prescott or Cooper yet.
The Cooper contract is going to hurt. But luckily he isn’t in a hurry. He will let the market rise. Dak isn’t worried either. Something tells me they talked to Cooper already. If we don’t pay him then someone will. Half a year and look what at the damage Cooper and Dak did. In a whole year both of there stats will be great.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Oh so its ok to violate a contract with 1 year left but not 2? Surely you can see the problem with this logic.
I understand we love the idea of having a guy on the cheap for 5 years. Why wouldnt we.
But life isnt black or white. So here we are.
No need to vilify either side. Its a smart move from the Cowboys for drafting him and a smart move from Zeke for demanding a new deal.

No, you shouldn't violate either. But one is worse then the other. But nice try there.

And yah, if Zeke is trying to maximize his dollars, this is what he should do. If he is willing to hold out. RB's kinda get the short end of the stick based on their readiness as they come into the league and lack of longevity.

But as a business owner, you have to make decisions on where to save money and how to build your roster. From my seat, if you have the most expensive line in the NFL, then you don't pay the RB. RB's are cheaper, easier to find, and can be had in later rounds. You can also get great production out of a stable of a few backs. You also spread out the risk that way instead of putting all your eggs in one basket. IF he gets hurt, or if the idiot gets suspended then you are screwed.

See Zeke and see Gurley.

Top WR's are much harder to find and so are QB's. Gotta pinch somewhere.

This is why I was against using the 4th overall pick on a RB in the fist place. But if you ARE going to invest that kind of capital. Once in 10-15 year high pick...……………..then you better take advantage of that rookie cap for all 5 years.

If Zeke wants to pull a Leon Bell type move, then just trade him. You could get amazing value. I have no issue there. But I would not make him the highest paid back 3 years into a 5 year deal.

But I have a feeling that Jones will. So you "pay Zeke anything he wants" guys are probably going to get what they want.

On a side note, I also think we have the weapons the QB going forward to start really producing in the passing game. Time to begin the transition from a run first offense to more of a high octane passing attack. I would not become too pass happy at all, but I don't think you need a Zeke anymore. Perfect time to trade him.

Then there is the fact that is an immature, complete moron, not a leader type player. Cares only for himself. This would HIGHLY factor into my decision. Quite frankly, from a off the field angle, he doesn't deserve it.

SeaTurtle1

Reaction score
No, you shouldn't violate either. But one is worse then the other. But nice try there.

And yah, if Zeke is trying to maximize his dollars, this is what he should do. If he is willing to hold out. RB's kinda get the short end of the stick based on their readiness as they come into the league and lack of longevity.

But as a business owner, you have to make decisions on where to save money and how to build your roster. From my seat, if you have the most expensive line in the NFL, then you don't pay the RB. RB's are cheaper, easier to find, and can be had in later rounds. You can also get great production out of a stable of a few backs. You also spread out the risk that way instead of putting all your eggs in one basket. IF he gets hurt, or if the idiot gets suspended then you are screwed.

See Zeke and see Gurley.

Top WR's are much harder to find and so are QB's. Gotta pinch somewhere.

This is why I was against using the 4th overall pick on a RB in the fist place. But if you ARE going to invest that kind of capital. Once in 10-15 year high pick...……………..then you better take advantage of that rookie cap for all 5 years.

If Zeke wants to pull a Leon Bell type move, then just trade him. You could get amazing value. I have no issue there. But I would not make him the highest paid back 3 years into a 5 year deal.

But I have a feeling that Jones will. So you "pay Zeke anything he wants" guys are probably going to get what they want.

On a side note, I also think we have the weapons the QB going forward to start really producing in the passing game. Time to begin the transition from a run first offense to more of a high octane passing attack. I would not become too pass happy at all, but I don't think you need a Zeke anymore. Perfect time to trade him.

Then there is the fact that is an immature, complete moron, not a leader type player. Cares only for himself. This would HIGHLY factor into my decision. Quite frankly, from a off the field angle, he doesn't deserve it.
Agree 100%. If we had a good GM, that's what would happen.

Unfortunately, in a world of chess, our GM plays Candy Land.

LittleD

Reaction score
Pay the man. Give him a 4 year deal with 2 guaranteed. Pay him more than gurley with an off the field clause in the contract. Let's go already he's led the league in rushing 2 out of 3 and would have been all 3 years but the suspension killed it.

If you love him so much, you pay him.

LittleD

Reaction score
Lol... who cares what they would do?
This team doesn't have a Belichek, or a Brady to be able to cover for the loss in talent.

Silly boy...I care. The Pats will be in another SB this year and we won't for the 25th year.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Pay the man. Give him a 4 year deal with 2 guaranteed. Pay him more than gurley with an off the field clause in the contract. Let's go already he's led the league in rushing 2 out of 3 and would have been all 3 years but the suspension killed it.

LOL...….HIS ACTIONS killed it. Zeke just missed getting suspended again. Its clear the fool hasn't learned. He is more likely to get suspended again then to fulfill any kind of new contract. And the next suspension will be bigger.

You don't reward stupidity. Do you do that for your kids? They refuse to take out the trash and scream at their mother and you buy them a new car? Nonsense.

You just don't care because its not your money. Bottom line.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Silly boy...I care. The Pats will be in another SB this year and we won't for the 25th year.
Oh... well then. Ain't that grand?
Still don't have Beli, or Brady so... I guess I'll remain silly.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Ok, how about this choice? If you had to choose NOT To pay one of these players who would you NOT pay?

1. Zeke
2. Dak
3. Jaylon Smith
4. Amari Cooper

All 4 of these guys will have to be paid in the next 2 years.

CowboyGil

Reaction score
Yeah, lets trade him so we can sit around and count our money. oh wait, it's not our money. Get paid 21!!