News: Ezekiel Elliott may have a Grade 2 (partially torn) MCL sprain (conflicting reports)

817Gill

Reaction score
The article itself doesn’t mention a torn MCL only the title does. I think this is a misprint/misinterpretation by them.

offlimits

Reaction score
He has a knee sprain. Nothing is torn

A "sprain" is a partial tear in the ligament. His MCL. Perhaps can play with a knee brace... but this MCL doesn't necessarily require surgery. As a Dad of a soccer-playing daughter, she had an ACL sprain and continued to play in college with a knee brace... until she completely tore the ligament going up for a header. Zeke is tough. Just must manage the pain.

Last edited:

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
A Grade 2 sprain involves partial tearing, by definition. Grade 1 does not, while Grade 3 is a complete tear.
Thanks for that! Based on the original thread title, I was envisioning a season ending injury had occurred. What matters, though, is that it seems a little rest is in order and that he'll be good to go after the bye.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Then why did they use the word torn.

Spraining is the word for small tears in a ligament that holds bones together.

A grade 2 sprain is more severely torn where it can be called a partial tear of said ligament. He will have discomfort but can still play on it just fine, however further unecessary damage has a risk of fully tearing the ligament.

Varying degrees of Sprains and partial tears are they same thing, one is just perceived as more dramatic than the other because many people don’t know what spraining actually is.

starfan1

Reaction score
I believe the short Passing game revolves around him. He’s like a fullback and pass protection . Tony Pollard can’t do it. I don’t know why people want him to replace Elliot. We need both of them
he does pass protect well ill give you that but i truly believe its the 5 up front. Im not diminishing what he can do because hes good. Overpaid like the QB but hes good but he cant be good without the big uglies.we'll just need to differ our opinions on that one

glimmerman

Reaction score
We saw that last year. With a bye coming up I'd rather give him almost 3 weeks of rest to let it heal while only missing one game.
Was a joke. Would be funny though if he played with a brace on and broke off 150 yards and 3 TDs. Lol

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Thanks for that! Based on the original thread title, I was envisioning a season ending injury had occurred. What matters, though, is that it seems a little rest is in order and that he'll be good to go after the bye.

The MCL is one that can be come back from in season. The surgery is less invasive and the load it bears is far less than the dreaded ACL..

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
he does pass protect well ill give you that but i truly believe its the 5 up front. Im not diminishing what he can do because hes good. Overpaid like the QB but hes good but he cant be good without the big uglies.we'll just need to differ our opinions on that one
I agree my car my brother it definitely starts with the front line. On both sides of the ball. I’m just giving the Elliot haters ammunition

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
The MCL is one that can be come back from in season. The surgery is less invasive and the load it bears is far less than the dreaded ACL..
Thank you for the insight. On the bright side, I was having a very slow day and that got my heart rate up quite a bit. :)

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

A grade 2 sprain is more severely torn where it can be called a partial tear of said ligament. He will have discomfort but can still play on it just fine, however further unecessary damage has a risk of fully tearing the ligament.

Varying degrees of Sprains and partial tears are they same thing, one is just perceived as more dramatic than the other because many people don’t know what spraining actually is.
I’m sure he’ll play. I don’t know when though. Maybe they will keep him out against the Bears and then the bye week

Portnoy1

Reaction score
Too bad, he was playing pretty well. I would sit him. We seen him decline last year with a similar situation and folks took shots at him. I say rest him. Bears are a bad team and if they can't beat the bears without him , there is a lot of blame to go around.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

You dont know what you are talking about!

Ok, you probably do. Thats just natural "argue the Eagles fans" instincts kicking in

fivetwos

Reaction score
Yes Dr Jones will say he is fit to play.
Meh….Zeke is tough and he will get out there and play, but it’s just so disappointing to yet again know that he is going to give us about a third of a season at 100%.

Maybe this gets Pollard more carries as he should get, but who knows if he doesn’t end up banged up also with the extra work.

It’s nothing that could or should have been avoided, just disappointing yet again.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
If I was Mike I would sit him out for a game or two. 100% Zeke is nothing more than average. I can't imagine a 90% Zeke with a leg sprain going to help this team at all.

I'd like to see what another back can do and put Pollard on full notice that he needs to block better, etc. This team has been too reliant on Zeke. He's not even the best runner on the team. It would be best to see what others can do. Without him in the lineup, we can make a better decision for next year whether to resign him or not.

Last edited: