Ezekiel Elliott Wants Dallas to Draft Him: "I Want to Play Behind that Great O-Line"

Galian Beast

Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...zekiel-elliott-wants-to-be-drafted-by-cowboys

"The Dallas Cowboys (are my pick). I want to go play behind that great offensive line they have down in Dallas," Elliott said.

Maybe it also has to do with us having the 4th overall pick though.

The article mentions Derrick Henry also wants to play for the Cowboys.

It's not unusual for running backs to fall in the draft, but I think there is a decent chance that we could get either Henry or Elliott early in the second, or trade back into the first to get them at the bottom of the round. There are a lot of RB prospects in this draft who could be really good, and we need to get that RB of the future in a draft like this that could produce a few of them. Elliot is a lot less likely to be there though when we pick though.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I personally wasn't advocating the use of our 4th overall pick on a RB. Merely saying that a good RB is an extrinsic part of what we do as an offense and like any other position the better player the more productivity we get from that position.

And I wouldn't begin to debate you know that. My own offseason plan mentions signing Lamar Miller, in large part so we wouldn't have to use a high draft choice on the position while filling the need.

McFadden did produce last year in that position but with his age, milage and injury record is he a reliable option to hang our hat on?

I sure wouldn't. I was one of the harshest critics of that move last year, mainly due to his injury history. I'm happy to have been wrong, but certainly wouldn't want to press my luck by not bringing in other options, both for now and for the future.

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
Not at #4. Besides, the 2017 draft is going to be loaded with RB's. Probably have a couple in the 2nd round next year as good as Elliot.

If they were as good as Elliot they wouldn't be going in the second round.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...zekiel-elliott-wants-to-be-drafted-by-cowboys

Maybe it also has to do with us having the 4th overall pick though.

The article mentions Derrick Henry also wants to play for the Cowboys.

It's not unusual for running backs to fall in the draft, but I think there is a decent chance that we could get either Henry or Elliott early in the second, or trade back into the first to get them at the bottom of the round. There are a lot of RB prospects in this draft who could be really good, and we need to get that RB of the future in a draft like this that could produce a few of them. Elliot is a lot less likely to be there though when we pick though.

I think that they could fall to the second. There are way too many good DL in this draft, and teams always need DL.

A wise old scout mentioned on the radio to be careful with running backs from Alabama, Wisconsin and Ohio State. They have no patience in waiting for the crease to develop, because their OL is usually so much better than their opposition, no matter where they run the hole is usually very large.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
You can get a RB in later rounds or next year too.

People are seriously overvaluing Elliott like he's Earl Campbell, Eric Dickerson and Barry Sanders all rolled into one.

There are bigger needs on this team than TB. Getting real playmakers on defense is a big need. So if I have a choice between Elliott and Jack, I am probably taking a guy who could be a playmaking, stud LB before a TB.

A three down back with HR abiltiy is worth the 4th pick as much as any position and it just happens to be a huge need.

DE/DTs can be had later as well. There are no real standouts at CB/FS either(Ramsey is one)

Writing off RB is just group think at it's worst. They have the ball more than anyone but the QB but people think an OLB is going to a huge difference maker.

Right now if you had a choice between Anthony Barr, Todd Gurley or Leonard Williams who would you take. You could make a strong argument for all 3 so I don't see how you can disregard RBs.

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
If there are 40 elliotts in next year's draft then some will have to go in the 2nd round

If there were 40 Todd Gurleys they would go in the 2nd too. What the actual hell is this logic? There are no running backs projected in the second next year that are as good as Elliot hence the grade.

Sydla

Reaction score
A three down back with HR abiltiy is worth the 4th pick as much as any position and it just happens to be a huge need.

DE/DTs can be had later as well. There are no real standouts at CB/FS either(Ramsey is one)

Writing off RB is just group think at it's worst. They have the ball more than anyone but the QB but people think an OLB is going to a huge difference maker.

Right now if you had a choice between Anthony Barr, Todd Gurley or Leonard Williams who would you take. You could make a strong argument for all 3 so I don't see how you can disregard RBs.

And RBs can be had later in the draft as well. Especially considering the guy people are desperate to replace in Murray was a third round guy himself.

I'd take Barr or Williams in a heartbeat over Gurley. I wouldn't even think twice about it.

It's not group think. It's just common sense IMO. This is a team built around a strong OL that took a guy in McFadden, who many here thought was a washed up bum, and made him a Top 5 rusher in the NFL this year and he didn't even start the entire season. With this OL, you don't have to invest a top 5 pick in the draft on a TB to have a successful running game.

Shoot, as I said, we proved that 2 years ago with a 3rd round TB in Murray that people questioned had the durability and skill to be an every down back. Amazing how many people forget that.

Kaiser

Reaction score

I would love to have Elliot and I wouldn't complain if we took him at 4.

But that said, I look at the RB situation just like our QB situation. We need to draft one but could end up getting much better value with a pick at the top of the 2nd than taking Elliot or Goff at 4. Also IMO we can get a year of starting play from DMC at RB and a year as an OK backup out of Kellen Moore at QB (I know you don't agree) so there is no need to force a top five pick for a player you that you absolutely have to have starting next year.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
And RBs can be had later in the draft as well. Especially considering the guy people are desperate to replace in Murray was a third round guy himself.

I'd take Barr or Williams in a heartbeat over Gurley. I wouldn't even think twice about it.

It's not group think. It's just common sense IMO. This is a team built around a strong OL that took a guy in McFadden, who many here thought was a washed up bum, and made him a Top 5 rusher in the NFL this year and he didn't even start the entire season. With this OL, you don't have to invest a top 5 pick in the draft on a TB to have a successful running game.

Shoot, as I said, we proved that 2 years ago with a 3rd round TB in Murray that people questioned had the durability and skill to be an every down back. Amazing how many people forget that.

But that said, I look at the RB situation just like our QB situation. We need to draft one but could end up getting much better value with a pick at the top of the 2nd than taking Elliot or Goff at 4. Also IMO we can get a year of starting play from DMC at RB and a year as an OK backup out of Kellen Moore at QB (I know you don't agree) so there is no need to force a top five pick for a player you that you absolutely have to have starting next year.

I don't want "value" at QB or RB. I want the best. All these RB haters weren't around when Emmitt was here.

Elliott is a game changer. Other backs can have success. Big difference. And throwing out McFadden's stats makes my argument. He had such a great year yet he finished almost 800 yds and 10 TDs short or what Murray accomplished in 2014, when we went 12-4 BTW.

And don't give me this McFadden didn't play the first 4 games BS. he played but just not well. He couldn't outplay the great Joe Randle. His fourth place finish in one of the worst RB years in history is not something to brag about and it certainly isn't something to shoot for.

I want a dominating RB if I can get one. If I can't get EE at 4 because I am taking a QB I understand, but I am not writing him off for a DT or OLB because that is what the "book" says.

ringmaster

Reaction score

I wouldn't mind Elliot either given the Cowboys Oline and I also wouldn't be opposed to them drafting Tunsil to possibly replace Free at RT it's so many choices they can go about the 4th pick even a trade down is not out of the question.

Sydla

Reaction score
You overrate Elliott. Peterson is a game changer at TB. Elliott isn't Peterson. Stop. Emmitt Smith was the 17th pick in the draft (and in a time when TBs were valued much more than they are today). Smith wasn't a Top 5 pick. I'd bet you if the Cowboys had a Top 5 pick that year they wouldn't have taken Smith there.

And again, you bring up Murray.

What round did we pick him?

And of course, you miss the point on McFadden. The point wasn't to make him out to be a great TB. It's to point out that this OL is so good they make an average TB into a productive one. With that in mind, I don't need to overextend myself and take a TB at 4 (who pretty much no one even thinks he's worth the 4th pick other than some Cowboys fans) when it's likely I can take a guy in the 2nd or 3rd and put out a strong run game.

And I hate to break it to you, it's not just Cowboys fans who think like this.......... it's pretty much league wide opinion that an OLB that can cover and rush the passer like Jack might be able to, is more valuable than a TB.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I think that they could fall to the second. There are way too many good DL in this draft, and teams always need DL.

A wise old scout mentioned on the radio to be careful with running backs from Alabama, Wisconsin and Ohio State. They have no patience in waiting for the crease to develop, because their OL is usually so much better than their opposition, no matter where they run the hole is usually very large.

Good observation, and it doesn't have to be tied to a particular team.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind Elliot either given the Cowboys Oline and I also wouldn't be opposed to them drafting Tunsil to possibly replace Free at RT it's so many choices they can go about the 4th pick even a trade down is not out of the question.

This fan would be on cloud 9 with Tunsil...and never look back.

Kaiser

Reaction score
I don't want "value" at QB or RB. I want the best. All these RB haters weren't around when Emmitt was here.

Sure, but "the best" isn't on the draft board this. There is no Adrian Peterson or Emmitt Smith or Troy Aikman or Cam Newton.

You are talking about a good, not great RB and the same for the QB position. I like Elliot but doubt he ends up being dramatically better than guys who go in the second round (where Beast Mode and L'veon Bell went).

The same goes for QB. Carson Palmer and Russell Wilson both went to the Pro Bowl this year, one was the first overall pick and one went in the third round. The Seahawks did a much better job drafting even though the Bengals took Palmer with the first overall pick.

Kaiser

Reaction score

I would be fine with guys like Elliot or Mack at 4 overall but I've always thought trading down was the way to go. There is a good chance of first round QBs and DTs dropping to our pick high in the 2nd, plus there will be good RBs available in the 2nd and 3rd.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Jennifer-Lawrence-ok-thumbs-up.gif

LOL. So you say you wouldn't draft Elliott but if he was a Cowboy he would rush for over 1,500 yards? ^

ringmaster

Reaction score
I would be fine with guys like Elliot or Mack at 4 overall but I've always thought trading down was the way to go. There is a good chance of first round QBs and DTs dropping to our pick high in the 2nd, plus there will be good RBs available in the 2nd and 3rd.
I like your thinking there will definitely be an abundance of talent in the top half of the 2nd round especially where Dallas will be drafting in 2nd round.