Ezekiel Elliott Wants Dallas to Draft Him: "I Want to Play Behind that Great O-Line"

endersdragon

Reaction score
I don't see many mocks having him going before 16... If we trade back with one of the QB starved teams he would make perfect sense at 13 or so

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
You overrate Elliott. Peterson is a game changer at TB. Elliott isn't Peterson. Stop. Emmitt Smith was the 17th pick in the draft (and in a time when TBs were valued much more than they are today). Smith wasn't a Top 5 pick. I'd bet you if the Cowboys had a Top 5 pick that year they wouldn't have taken Smith there.

And again, you bring up Murray.

What round did we pick him?

And of course, you miss the point on McFadden. The point wasn't to make him out to be a great TB. It's to point out that this OL is so good they make an average TB into a productive one. With that in mind, I don't need to overextend myself and take a TB at 4 (who pretty much no one even thinks he's worth the 4th pick other than some Cowboys fans) when it's likely I can take a guy in the 2nd or 3rd and put out a strong run game.

And I hate to break it to you, it's not just Cowboys fans who think like this.......... it's pretty much league wide opinion that an OLB that can cover and rush the passer like Jack might be able to, is more valuable than a TB.

We don't use OLBs like that. We do use RBs as workhorses, even mediocre ones like DMC.

And Elliott is that good. He is as talented as Fournette and comes a year earlier.

Hopefully it's a moot point because we get Goff or Wentz but we have to be ready for anything and not screw up like we did with the Claiborne pick because CBs are worthy of the Top 10.

Alohawg1

Reaction score
We don't use OLBs like that. We do use RBs as workhorses, even mediocre ones like DMC.

And Elliott is that good. He is as talented as Fournette and comes a year earlier.

Hopefully it's a moot point because we get Goff or Wentz but we have to be ready for anything and not screw up like we did with the Claiborne pick because CBs are worthy of the Top 10.

Well, that's like your opinion, man. :)

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
I don't see many mocks having him going before 16... If we trade back with one of the QB starved teams he would make perfect sense at 13 or so

We will be qb starved once Romo gets injured again next year and have no replacement for him when he's done.

Naruto

Reaction score
I don't want "value" at QB or RB. I want the best. All these RB haters weren't around when Emmitt was here.

Elliott is a game changer. Other backs can have success. Big difference. And throwing out McFadden's stats makes my argument. He had such a great year yet he finished almost 800 yds and 10 TDs short or what Murray accomplished in 2014, when we went 12-4 BTW.

And don't give me this McFadden didn't play the first 4 games BS. he played but just not well. He couldn't outplay the great Joe Randle. His fourth place finish in one of the worst RB years in history is not something to brag about and it certainly isn't something to shoot for.

I want a dominating RB if I can get one. If I can't get EE at 4 because I am taking a QB I understand, but I am not writing him off for a DT or OLB because that is what the "book" says.

Am I crazy here or is this post one big contradiction?

You argue to draft a RB top 5 (Elliot) by referencing a bunch of RBs who weren't drafted top 5 (Emmitt, Murray) and wrapping it all up by dogging on the only RB that was actually drafted top 5 (McFadden)

people think an OLB is going to a huge difference maker.

Hope you watched that game last night...

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
I think he really is trying to say....he wants to be the #4 overall pick

Sydla

Reaction score
I will say this. I'd love to have Jack playing the WILL LB for us.

But I do agree that you wonder if a kid with that skill would be getting the most from his talents playing in this passive Marinelli system.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Well, if he's there in the 2nd round, I'd consider it :)

No chance I'd burn that 4th pick though.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Funny thing is....Not too many people would say it is a good value to take him at #4 overall.

However at the end of the day, if he was taken at 4 or later...he could be the best player taken and the most impactful player taken for this team.

If he wound up making ROY, goes on to have a great career with the cowboys and is routinely one of the top RBs in the league....we may always say he was drafted too early, but at the end of the day we would be ok with it down the road...especially if the other players drafted in that spot turn out to be busts or journey at best.

What this team needs to do is make sure it gets a pick that will be worth it down the road. Even if it is a player that some of us might not like or even if it is a player that some think should not be drafted as high.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
What this team needs to do is make sure it gets a pick that will be worth it down the road. Even if it is a player that some of us might not like or even if it is a player that some think should not be drafted as high.

Absolutely not. It must be at a position of NEED to be worth it. Don't NEED a RB, you know. [/sarcasm]

If Elliott is at the top of their board as the best pound for pound player to take at four, we would be completely idiotic to pass on one of the prospects that most label as one of the more well rounded and safest players out there.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Funny thing is....Not too many people would say it is a good value to take him at #4 overall.

However at the end of the day, if he was taken at 4 or later...he could be the best player taken and the most impactful player taken for this team.

If he wound up making ROY, goes on to have a great career with the cowboys and is routinely one of the top RBs in the league....we may always say he was drafted too early, but at the end of the day we would be ok with it down the road...especially if the other players drafted in that spot turn out to be busts or journey at best.

You can't afford to miss at #4. Claiborne killed us by not being a star. Other than a QB, a RB like EE is almost a can't miss impact player. I'm pretty sure Ramsey, Jack and Treadwell will be really good but we really could use a RB for the next 5 years.

Hardline

Reaction score
I could care less if this is not the 90s.
A great running attack wins you games no matter the decade.
I am a die hard believer in a ground and pound running game. And I never devalued the running back position.

Hardline

Reaction score
I don't want "value" at QB or RB. I want the best. All these RB haters weren't around when Emmitt was here.

Elliott is a game changer. Other backs can have success. Big difference. And throwing out McFadden's stats makes my argument. He had such a great year yet he finished almost 800 yds and 10 TDs short or what Murray accomplished in 2014, when we went 12-4 BTW.

And don't give me this McFadden didn't play the first 4 games BS. he played but just not well. He couldn't outplay the great Joe Randle. His fourth place finish in one of the worst RB years in history is not something to brag about and it certainly isn't something to shoot for.

I want a dominating RB if I can get one. If I can't get EE at 4 because I am taking a QB I understand, but I am not writing him off for a DT or OLB because that is what the "book" says.

Truth.

gmoney112

Reaction score
EE isn't some 'can't miss' prospect. He's not even as good as Gurley.

We just watched every team in the Conference championships all have some of the best defenses in the league, outside of the Pats who actually usually play pretty good defense.

We're either going QB or defense. We have a handful of guys who'd even start on any of those defenses and people want a RB when I'm not even sure any playoff team had a 1,000 yard rusher.

Maybe if EE was AD, but he's not. He won't even be BPA, and the ROI on him over an Alex Collins is probably negligible. Good grief.

Wolfpack

Reaction score
I think EE would be the best pick likely to be there at #4 if they don't take a QB. No one else would be a safer pick that would still have major contribution to the team.

Hardline

Reaction score
As much as I love Elliott I am still taking Jack over him.