Facebook Linked To One In Five Divorces in the United States

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
WV Cowboy;3864518 said:
Interesting, what would "scream in your face" that you wouldn't notice after a year or two of dating?

Handling of money 1A, but there are many more. If your future wife lives at home, doesn't have any saving yet because she is young, how do you know she doesn't spend to or above her income?

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
ConcordCowboy;3864531 said:
That type of thinking is outdated.

Not to the person that created that type of thinking.

Therein lies our problems.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
WV Cowboy;3864482 said:
The reason there are so many divorces is because a lot of people are so full of themselves, self-centered and selfish. They think everything revolves around them, and that is the only way they look at it.

They think the other person should change for them, to be what they want them to be.

The reason there are so many divorces is because one or both parties fail to put their spouse first in the relationship.

Pssst, ... that is the secret, ... BOTH spouses should put the other spouse first. If both put themselves aside and put the other first, everything is almost perfect.

I chose to love my wife unconditionally. I didn't have to test drive her, .. I didn't base my decision to marry on, "if the sex is good", or if "she can cook good", or "if she doesn't do things that drive me crazy".

We were 17 & 16 when we met, we dated four years, we fell in love, we adored each other. I ask her to be my wife, forever, .. she said yes.

No prenup, no trial period, no living together to "test drive" her like a car, or "try her on to see if she fits" like a shoe.

Total commitment from day one. I told her I will be here forever, she told me she would do the same, ... we have never looked back. That was 36 wonderful years ago.

There are so many divorces because some people can't quit thinking about themselves long enough to love someone else unconditionally.

That is one heck of a love story. Congrats on finding your soul mate.

What do you think the survival rate of couples marrying their highschool sweethearts after four years of dating are?

I'd have to think it was pretty low and you are the exception.

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
WV Cowboy;3864559 said:
Not to the person that created that type of thinking.

Therein lies our problems.

No one has asked him in awhile.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
SkinsandTerps;3864522 said:
The part about putting your spouses first always.
If you don't look out for yourself you will be stepped on and taken advantage of even if they love you to the end of time.

If only one does it, then yes, you are right.

Ahhh, .. but if both put themselves aside and take care of the other first. How awesome and perfect is that? Both get taken care of, but by the other. No selfishness, lot's of humility. My wife and I try to outdo each other to be the best spouse.

And the part about not having certain deal breaking factors.
Especially, doing things that drive you bonkers. Who could, would, or wants to deal with that everyday for the rest of their lives. Only a man without backbone, or a sucker.

There are deal breakers.

I totally agree, there are, but I find it hard to not notice "deal breakers" after dating for 2 or more years.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You can live with someone before you get married or you can wait until you get married to live with someone one.

There is nothing wrong with either way, if it works for you it works for you.

One does not dictate that you will get a divorce or not get a divorce.

If only one worked and the other did not...everybody would do it the same way.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I draw up divorce papers while I'm applying for my marriage license. You know, get two birds with one stone. Multitasking! :laugh2:

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
WV Cowboy;3864649 said:
If only one does it, then yes, you are right.

Ahhh, .. but if both put themselves aside and take care of the other first. How awesome and perfect is that? Both get taken care of, but by the other. No selfishness, lot's of humility. My wife and I try to outdo each other to be the best spouse.

I totally agree, there are, but I find it hard to not notice "deal breakers" after dating for 2 or more years.

That first part is about respect, not honor and selflessness.
If you can respect each other and understand that you are going to take care of you and I am going to take care of you than we will be just fine. If that ceases because of a lack of respect for whatever reason, than the relationship becomes different.
I think for the most part we agree, One of the biggest things is making life decisions. If you can't agree on some of those things it can become a deal breaker. I don't expect to agree with my wife about everything, but respect my choice and have my back. We will talk about the big stuff but other things that many people argue about we just basically don't care about. For example, if I wanted to go to Vegas with the boys for a weekend...she would be upset that she wasn't going, but wouldn't care that I was going with my buddies. Same in reverse for me.

BrAinPaiNt;3864651 said:
You can live with someone before you get married or you can wait until you get married to live with someone one.

There is nothing wrong with either way, if it works for you it works for you.

One does not dictate that you will get a divorce or not get a divorce.

If only one worked and the other did not...everybody would do it the same way.

Absolutely. We are all different in certain ways. Simple stuff like you and I being fans of rival teams does not make me disrespect you or hate you. We just have a different preference. I still respect you as a fan of your team because you are honest about it and hold true to that passion.

I don't want my wife to be my puppet.

Living with someone can show you a different aspect of their personality that dating will not. Dating someone before getting married and living together can as well.

It's always different.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
nyc;3864655 said:
I draw up divorce papers while I'm applying for my marriage license. You know, get two birds with one stone. Multitasking! :laugh2:

That's funny.

When I was younger, the company that I worked for had training centers on the east coast that they would send us to.

Several times when I would go from 'Podunk WV' to these training centers I would meet a guy from NYC.

Many times we would hit it off immediately. We would become fast friends and hang out all of the time we were in training. I think it was partly because we came from such diverse backgrounds that we were intriging to each other.

But these guys from Queens, the Bronx, we would always have a ball and laugh a ton.

But we didn't agree on much though. Diverse upbringings, etc.

I guess that is how we will be "nyc", .. friends that don't agree with each other much.

But it's cool.:cool:

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
nyc;3864655 said:

Well you lived together before you got married...so that was a no brainer.

:D

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
WV Cowboy;3864663 said:
That's funny.

When I was younger, the company that I worked for had training centers on the east coast that they would send us to.

Several times when I would go from 'Podunk WV' to these training centers I would meet a guy from NYC.

Many times we would hit it off immediately. We would become fast friends and hang out all of the time we were in training. I think it was partly because we came from such diverse backgrounds that we were intriging to each other.

But these guys from Queens, the Bronx, we would always have a ball and laugh a ton.

But we didn't agree on much though. Diverse upbringings, etc.

I guess that is how we will be "nyc", .. friends that don't agree with each other much.

But it's cool.:cool:

Just an fyi, I'm a Dallas / Fort Worth native. I moved to NYC in Jan 2005. :) That doesn't mean we still can't be friends. :grin:

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
nyc;3864672 said:
Just an fyi, I'm a Dallas / Fort Worth native. I moved to NYC in Jan 2005. :) That doesn't mean we still can't be friends. :grin:

I agree with that. :)

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
nyc;3864672 said:

How is it living in NYC, not having grown up there?

My wife and I would love to visit NYC someday, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't fit in living there.

Faerluna

I'm Complicated
Reaction score
WV Cowboy;3864695 said:

My wife and I would love to visit NYC someday, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't fit in living there.

Most people don't actually live in NYC. They live in the northern suburbs (where I lived) or in New Jersey.

NYC rent is incredibly high for a tiny amount of living space. You can pay less for more room living in the burbs, and the mass transit system is really great so you can use it for your commute if you work in the city.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
WV Cowboy;3864695 said:

Dallas / Fort Worth is home and always will be.

Now, before I continue, let me explain. I don't actually live in NYC anymore. I live in lower Connecticut. (trees, hills, near the water, etc Suburbia and WAY cheaper taxes!) I do though still work in Manhattan. I have the absolute best setup IMO. I have a suburb life and still daily experience the one of the worlds greatest cities.

I love NY. It is great here. (except for the sometime excessive snow) The Spring and Fall are generally elongated compared to Texas. (not running heat or AC in the house) It only gets hot for a little while and the extreme cold usually doesn't last too long either.

NY has almost everything you can think of to do. My wife and I get a hotel in the city about once a month as sort of a weekend out. (we are doing it this weekend too)

The only down thing I can think of here is the price of everything. My mortgage is 5 times larger than my mortgage in Texas, though I only make between 2-3 times as much as I did there.

As for not being able to live here, I don't believe in that. If you can get your foot in the door (a job and a decent place to live) you would probably love it here. (unless you prefer rural areas of course)

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Hostile;3864105 said:
And it was a 1 night stand huh?

She was slut enough to knock boots on night one, but you weren't good enough to get any more?

:grin:

Hardly, I took what I could then upgraded.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;3865131 said:
Hardly, I took what I could then upgraded.
121054d1231181462-coral-star-dec-26th-jan-1-thread_is_worthless.jpg