Facebook Linked To One In Five Divorces in the United States

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;3864014 said:
I haven't.

If you can sleep with the woman the first night you meet them then you shouldn't want anything from that woman.

That's how I've always been about it anyway.

Hell, I did it with a woman less than 1 hour after we met at a university bar. I dated her for a month or so then met Contessa and the rest is history.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;3864035 said:
Hell, I did it with a woman less than 1 hour after we met at a university bar. I dated her for a month or so then met Contessa and the rest is history.
If you dated her for a month how was it a 1 night stand?

CowboyDan

Anger is a Gift
Reaction score
CoCo;3863852 said:
You're promoting the idea that living together helps couples determine their long-term compatability. But the studies on that issue apparently say that in fact it doesn't.

At that point you might want to rethink your recommendation. If you still want to recommend it you ought to find a rationale that holds water because this one apparently doesn't.

Actually, if you read a few posts up, you'll see that I found a study that disproves all those studies you are referring to. You might want to rethink your recommendation. :spanking:

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
CowboyDan;3864055 said:
Actually, if you read a few posts up, you'll see that I found a study that disproves all those studies you are referring to. You might want to rethink your recommendation. :spanking:
Did you ever think that "all of those studies" (plural) disproves the one you found ?

Just asking.

CowboyDan

Anger is a Gift
Reaction score
WV Cowboy;3864081 said:
Did you ever think that "all of those studies" (plural) disproves the one you found ?

Just asking.

No, because it took me exactly 1.5 minutes to find the one I posted, and as I stated earlier, it's from 2010.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;3864052 said:
he wrote re getting it on the first night. I stated I had.
And it was a 1 night stand huh?

She was slut enough to knock boots on night one, but you weren't good enough to get any more?

:grin:

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Vtwin;3863894 said:
So you think that if you put the same two people in two different situations as in

A: They date then get married.

and

B: They date, live together for two years then get married

these same two people would be more likely to divorce having gone through situation B?

That is ridiculous. If two people are going to remain committed it doesn't matter if they live together first or not. These stats might show that people who are more likely to get divorced are more likely to live together first but they don't even begin to suggest that living together first can lead to divorce. I would bet that every single divorced couple in any of those studies would have divorced whether or not they lived together first.

Vtwin is right, in my opinion.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
I enjoy Facebook and it's an amazing source of information of all types.

I get updates on all my favorite TV shows, sports teams. I get news updates.

I see specials from my favorite restaurants.

I get to see pictures of my cousins, nieces and nephews, as well as other family members who live hundreds of miles away. We also share family goings on with each other.

I can see who my kids' friends are and see what they're up to.

I can stay in touch with former co-workers and classmates who have scattered across the country.

This is just part of it. I get a ton of information about things I'm interested in at one site.

Plus, we use it to promote the activities where I work. Free advertising to our 600-plus fans.

CoCo

Reaction score
CowboyDan;3864055 said:

This is way more important to you than it is me. I actually never made a recommendation. Purposely stayed away from doing so. I merely pointed out you had nothing to substantiate your conclusion while trying to discredit any evidence that ran counter to your opinion.

Studies contradicting your opinion were thrown out. Then 1 study supporting yours was hailed. Then it trumped all others because eventually, you found it "in exactly 1.5 minutes." Yup, that proves it. :rolleyes: As I said earlier, I'm getting a kick out of your desperation to be right on this.

Maybe in fact you even ARE right, who knows? I've never said you weren't. I only pointed out you were claiming so without evidence to support it.

I get that you have a deep conviction about your opinion. You're not interested in an looking at it objectively, only whatever supports your opinion. Carry on.

CoCo

Reaction score
Vtwin;3863894 said:
So you think that if you put the same two people in two different situations as in

A: They date then get married.

and

B: They date, live together for two years then get married

these same two people would be more likely to divorce having gone through situation B?

That is ridiculous. If two people are going to remain committed it doesn't matter if they live together first or not. These stats might show that people who are more likely to get divorced are more likely to live together first but they don't even begin to suggest that living together first can lead to divorce. I would bet that every single divorced couple in any of those studies would have divorced whether or not they lived together first.

No. You're jumping to a conclusion about "what else I must think". I only said that there isn't conclusive evidence to indicate that you have a better chance of not divorcing if you live together first. I took it no further than that - and intentionally so.

CowboyDan

Anger is a Gift
Reaction score
CoCo;3864292 said:
This is way more important to you than it is me. I actually never made a recommendation. Purposely stayed away from doing so. I merely pointed out you had nothing to substantiate your conclusion while trying to discredit any evidence that ran counter to your opinion.

Studies contradicting your opinion were thrown out. Then 1 study supporting yours was hailed. Then it trumped all others because eventually, you found it "in exactly 1.5 minutes." Yup, that proves it. :rolleyes: As I said earlier, I'm getting a kick out of your desperation to be right on this.

Maybe in fact you even ARE right, who knows? I've never said you weren't. I only pointed out you were claiming so without evidence to support it.

I get that you have a deep conviction about your opinion. You're not interested in an looking at it objectively, only whatever supports your opinion. Carry on.

What the hell are you talking about? You should've just stayed out of this post. You're taking this waaaaay too seriously. Did you have a bad day or something?

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
WV Cowboy;3863964 said:
Have you ever had a one night stand?
If she did it with you, she had done it before.

My friend, you just compared selecting the love of your life, your soul mate, your wife, .. to test driving a car or trying on shoes.
We are never going to agree.

How exactly do you pick out your future wife? Through a lottery of sort? No, you take extra special care in doing so. The reason there are so many divorces is because that is exactly what people DO NOT do.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
nyc;3864422 said:
How exactly do you pick out your future wife? Through a lottery of sort? No, you take extra special care in doing so. The reason there are so many divorces is because that is exactly what people DO NOT do.

The reason there are so many divorces is because a lot of people are so full of themselves, self-centered and selfish. They think everything revolves around them, and that is the only way they look at it.

They think the other person should change for them, to be what they want them to be.

The reason there are so many divorces is because one or both parties fail to put their spouse first in the relationship.

Pssst, ... that is the secret, ... BOTH spouses should put the other spouse first. If both put themselves aside and put the other first, everything is almost perfect.

I chose to love my wife unconditionally. I didn't have to test drive her, .. I didn't base my decision to marry on, "if the sex is good", or if "she can cook good", or "if she doesn't do things that drive me crazy".

We were 17 & 16 when we met, we dated four years, we fell in love, we adored each other. I ask her to be my wife, forever, .. she said yes.

No prenup, no trial period, no living together to "test drive" her like a car, or "try her on to see if she fits" like a shoe.

Total commitment from day one. I told her I will be here forever, she told me she would do the same, ... we have never looked back. That was 36 wonderful years ago.

There are so many divorces because some people can't quit thinking about themselves long enough to love someone else unconditionally.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
WV Cowboy;3864482 said:
The reason there are so many divorces is because a lot of people are so full of themselves, self-centered and selfish. They think everything revolves around them, and that is the only way they look at it.

They think the other person should change for them, to be what they want them to be.

The reason there are so many divorces is because one or both parties fail to put their spouse first in the relationship.

Pssst, ... that is the secret, ... BOTH spouses should put the other spouse first. If both put themselves aside and put the other first, everything is almost perfect.

What does that have to do with two people living together before marriage. Thats right. Nothing.

I wrote a list a while back of things that pretty much scream in your face that marriage to said person is NOT an option. Sometimes you don't realize those until you've lived with each other. Sometimes, you just get lucky and they don't have any of the critical issues.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
nyc;3864499 said:
What does that have to do with two people living together before marriage. Thats right. Nothing.

That was in response to your comment that the reason there are so many divorces is because people don't find out about each other by living together first.

I was disagreeing.

I wrote a list a while back of things that pretty much scream in your face that marriage to said person is NOT an option. Sometimes you don't realize those until you've lived with each other. Sometimes, you just get lucky and they don't have any of the critical issues.

Interesting, what would "scream in your face" that you wouldn't notice after a year or two of dating?

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
The part about putting your spouses first always.
If you don't look out for yourself you will be stepped on and taken advantage of even if they love you to the end of time.

And the part about not having certain deal breaking factors.
Especially, doing things that drive you bonkers. Who could, would, or wants to deal with that everyday for the rest of their lives. Only a man without backbone, or a sucker.

There are deal breakers.

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
My wife signed up for FB a few years ago and then signed me up.

She mostly uses it to get all her news and whatnot in one place...but she does post articles and such for her "Friends" to comment on and will post a What's on your mind once in awhile.

It's funny to hear about some of her friends getting mad at one another for blocking so and so from seeing certain things or whatever.

As far a me...I just don't see the big deal about FB.

I check it once in awhile...don't know why...cause I think it's BS every time I do.

I have about 50 people who have friended me from High School who I haven't talked to in over twenty five years and I have found out why...cause I didn't want too. :D

I have about 5 people who dominate my newsfeed...and they post some of the most boring, stupid, useless crap.

Here's a sample of just today.

"The Sun is shining. It's a brand new day"

"Good Morning World"

"If I slept 2 hours last night that is so lucky-SO Tired"

"Hot Cocoa-YUM!"

Good God. :rolleyes:

My wife and I started dating in Feb...got engaged in July and moved in together the following April and got married that Oct...will be 18 years this Oct.

There's nothing wrong with getting married without living together...neither is there anything wrong with living together before getting married...or if you will...to see if you want to get married to that person.

That type of thinking is outdated.