Facebook Parenting: For the Troubled Teen

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
5Stars;4414250 said:
:laugh2:

I retired as an Computer Main Frame Programmer for DoD, and that is one of the first things they teach is to not give out your logon info or password!

That is why I don't see how it's beneficial?

The woman in the Utah example, it was said that some of her "friends" did not know where she lived or who she was, but one of her friends had asked he what her address was awhile back so they could send her a Birthday card. That's how the Police found where she lived, other than that little bit of information, she would have been dead by morning!

Are you on facebook? If so, is it under you real name or your Cowboy name?

:confused:

Tell your kid to give you his password. If he doesn't, don't let him have the laptop. Pretty easy. Then check it periodically to mke sure they didn't change it.

rkell87

Reaction score
5Stars;4414250 said:

I retired as an Computer Main Frame Programmer for DoD, and that is one of the first things they teach is to not give out your logon info or password!

That is why I don't see how it's beneficial?

The woman in the Utah example, it was said that some of her "friends" did not know where she lived or who she was, but one of her friends had asked he what her address was awhile back so they could send her a Birthday card. That's how the Police found where she lived, other than that little bit of information, she would have been dead by morning!

Are you on facebook? If so, is it under you real name or your Cowboy name?

i think you are entitled to your child's log in info. you can post your address and other contact info in your accounts info section. just get on there and play around i'm sure you can figure it out.

my real name or at least my nick name that my friends call me

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;4414248 said:
LOL!

WTH kind of statement is that? You are such a childish person. Again, your son has my pity.

well I am sure yours are off to a rocking start what with that home schooling and good science you are teaching them.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;4414253 said:
Tell your kid to give you his password. If he doesn't, don't let him have the laptop. Pretty easy. Then check it periodically to mke sure they didn't change it.

yeah that will work, after all there are no other locations where he can sign on, after all there are no computers at friends' houses, no internet on their cell phones and definitely no internet at libraries

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;4414253 said:

OK...I'm sure that will work!

See...I just don't know exactly how it benefits anyone, unless you give out your real information, which I will not do.

So, I logon as 5Stars. Nobody outside of this forum knows who I am, and then again, they really don't know who I am!

I could make a fake account and be Obama's best friend in the whole wide world for all anyone knows!

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
5Stars;4414260 said:

See...I just don't know exactly how it benefits anyone, unless you give out your real information, which I will not do.

So, I logon as 5Stars. Nobody outside of this forum knows who I am, and then again, they really don't know who I am!

I could make a fake account and be Obama's best friend in the whole wide world for all anyone knows!

why not put out your real info?

rkell87

Reaction score
5Stars;4414260 said:

you know you could find your friends and send them a message to let them know it is you and that you will be going by 5stars on FB

jwitten82

Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;4414213 said:
I better start praying for your kid. He is surely going to need it. By the way, if you think that my kids wear modest clothing because we don't money you are nuts. And it doesn't mean I care less about them. It means they have something you are not providing to your kid. Values.

I really pity your kid. He's going to be lost in about 12 years when he finds out that everything he want isn't just handed to him.

And you can take a shot at homeschooling all you want. But my oldest daughter graduated with a 3.8 GPA and scored 1900+ on her SAT.

You talk about things you don't know anything about. And it shows with every post.
:rolleyes:

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;4414256 said:
well I am sure yours are off to a rocking start what with that home schooling and good science you are teaching them.

You are such little baby. You don't know anything about my kids and what they are doing.

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;4414257 said:
yeah that will work, after all there are no other locations where he can sign on, after all there are no computers at friends' houses, no internet on their cell phones and definitely no internet at libraries

It's called parenting. Try it sometime.

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
jwitten82;4414271 said:
:lmao2: What is that going to do for his kid?

I thought he was trying to make sure his kid wasn't posting inappropriate things. He could monitor the account that way. That's what.

jwitten82

Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;4414274 said:
I thought he was trying to make sure his kid wasn't posting inappropriate things. He could monitor the account that way. That's what.
Im talking about the first sentence.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;4414230 said:
Truth hurts I know. But that is the direction this country is going and the blame needs to be laid where it belongs.

Truth? Anyone who doesn't agree with you is the left?

That's truth to you? What do you do when someone who shares your political position disagree with you? Demonize them, too?

And it's not retaliatory. It is him doing HIS JOB as a parent.

No, doing his job as a parent wouldn't have ended in this situation in the first place.

Clearly his practices are ineffective. Unless you want to say that your value system and practices as a parent have had no influence on your children's outcomes this far, it's only fair to attribute his daughters outcome to him to a rightful extent.

He says it himself, he doesn't know how to correct the situation. How many times have you ever thought that over disobedience or misbehavior?

I had misinterpreted his statement on this earlier.

Since I can't seem to make any headway with my daughter on Facebook, I chose instead to remedy the problem permanently.

But just look at what he is saying.

"Since my attempts have been ineffective, I'll just make it so I don't have to attempt anymore"

It's sad to see that he thinks he will "remedy" the problem.

It's like seeing a pile of dog **** on the floor and thinking you can get rid of the smell by spraying it with Fabreeze. It might mask it for a bit but that pile isn't going away.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;4414273 said:
It's called parenting. Try it sometime.

it's called realism, you stop them, they will do it anyway where there is NO ability to monitor

do you really live in a cocoon?

btw, don't pray from my son, the one thing he doesn't need is you praying for him

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
jwitten82;4414276 said:
Im talking about the first sentence.

Oh, I got the two posts mixed up. My bad. I was referring to 5stars. You were referring to Canadian's kid. He said he gives his kid everything he wants. I meant that by doing that and treating him that way, if he continues that he is going to have a rough time of it when reality hits.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
5Stars;4414235 said:
See, here is an example of what I'm talking about.

How could I check my child's facebook if I don't know what he/she's username is?

Look up his/her real name... almost every one uses them...

You have a username and then your real name... it's how people find each other...

By law you are allowed to view your minor child's email/online activity. A deputy here told me that he wishes parents would do that more as you can head off a LOT of problems. He said kids coordinate alcohol parties and illegal activity frequently and he feels it is a parent's duty to monitor their online activity...

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;4414282 said:
it's called realism, you stop them, they will do it anyway where there is NO ability to monitor

do you really live in a cocoon?

btw, don't pray from my son, the one thing he doesn't need is you praying for him

They may but why make it easy for them to do what you don't want them to. Oh wait, I know. Give them everything they want on a silver platter. That's great parenting.

Oh and I'm gonna pray for him anyway. Try to stop me.