Falcons hire Raheem Morris as HC

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Weird hire. Retread coach who was not impressive in his first stint as HC. His defenses are good but not amazing.

Maybe he wasn’t ready to be HC back in the day but Atlanta thinks he is now.
Atlanta went to the brink with Belechek and then decided on a safe hire that wouldn’t threaten any front office jobs or egos.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
From what I have heard/read

**Vrabel is a control freak with poor interpersonal issues
**BB has quite of few strict conditions he would consider ( city, owner, GM, QB ). Notice only one team bothered to interview him.
To what extent were the interpersonal issues?
Didn't Belichick express interest in Dallas?

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Imagine how short the least would be on MM? He better go 17-0
LOL.

Jones: Mike, we are running it back.
McCarthy: (Sigh of relief) That's great Jerry. Thanks again.
Jones: (Smiles like a velociraptor) Mike, we're winning the Super Bowl this year, right?
McCarthy: (Sweating) Uhhh, yeah, Jerry. Right. You bet.
Jerry: (Takes a snort of JWB) Not sure about our defense, so the offense must come through.
McCarthy: (Squirming and hyperventilating) Uh, Jerry, can you pour me one of those?)

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Belichick was the defacto GM for the Patriots. He did not hold the title but everyone knew who was the actual GM in New England. It is true Jones will not share credit but it is extremely unlikely he would give any perception of autonomy to Belichick for that reason.

Heck. The man currently has Will McClay, the person with the most comparable level of automony right now to what Belichick might be given, buried within his organizational structure. It is even too laughable to actually view on the DallasCowboys.com Executives webpage.

I doubt Belichick would agree on being similarly dissed for his input in the franchise. Of course, I would not mind seeing Belichick added to the franchise, in order to observe exactly how Belichick would be seemingly treated, relative to how McClay has been treated.
If McClay takes a job elsewhere, does Belichick become desirable? Or vice versa, if Belichick is hired, does McClay seek employment as a GM?

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
If McClay takes a job elsewhere, does Belichick become desirable? Or vice versa, if Belichick is hired, does McClay seek employment as a GM?
Will McClay has the third best job in the NFL (behind Jerry and Son) he gets to play GM with no accountability at all ...why would he EVER leave that....

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No he can not......according to an article I just read a few hours ago, he wanted Blank to strip team president Rich McCay of any power over football operations. McCay has been Blank's right-hand man since 2003. Notice after his Falcon interview, no other team even called for an interview. Probably why he wanted the Dallas job........he gets to deal directly with Jerry

Zinno is, "stunned?" That he would destroy his working relationship with McCay by choosing an aging HC. I don't see Blank being that desperate.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Will McClay has the third best job in the NFL (behind Jerry and Son) he gets to play GM with no accountability at all ...why would he EVER leave that....
Yep, and Jerry gets to be Owner/GM with public opinion seeing him as a successful SB 6 architect.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If McClay takes a job elsewhere, does Belichick become desirable?
I would say no. McClay's leaving would represent a change for Jones to address. What should be pondered is this. Would Jones install a widely known and equally respected personnel within his front office structure? Doing so would be a completely atypical front office action on his part at any time during his 35-year ownership. Lloyd Christmas would have an excellent follow-up to my opinion, lol.

Or vice versa, if Belichick is hired, does McClay seek employment as a GM?
It depends. There were other franchises interested in his services as a GM recently. Would those franchises have a GM opening still? If not, would additional franchises wish to interview and/or hire him?

I would think McClay would be proactive in becoming a GM elsewhere if Belichick did agree on a Jones offer. The possible handwriting-on-the-wall would be that he would no longer have a purpose within Jones' organization. That is an out-of-a-job situation for any employee within any business.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would say no. McClay's leaving would represent a change for Jones to address. What should be pondered is this. Would Jones install a widely known and equally respected personnel within his front office structure? Doing so would be a completely atypical front office action on his part at any time during his 35-year ownership. Lloyd Christmas would have an excellent follow-up to my opinion, lol.

It depends. There were other franchises interested in his services as a GM recently. Would those franchises have a GM opening still? If not, would additional franchises wish to interview and/or hire him?

I would think McClay would be proactive in becoming a GM elsewhere if Belichick did agree on a Jones offer. The possible handwriting-on-the-wall would be that he would no longer have a purpose within Jones' organization. That is an out-of-a-job situation for any employee within any business.
LOL!! Mary, Mary Christmas! Apropos reference.

That would be a slap in the face to McClay, who made the organization (and Jerry) much more respectable.
If McClay were going to be hired as GM, he would have by now.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Can anyone explain to me why Belicheck would still be demanding FULL control?

Sounds like teams are going the younger route these days or dont want a rental unless the rental coach is for turning the franchise around.

Maybe Bill over estimated his services...but demanding full control seems like it would narrow his potential prospects greatly. Plus...if he was in charge of drafting recently...that team was terrible.

I just dont buy Bill wanting full control anymore. He just wants the 15 wins. He said he is open to change too. Wonder if that has to do with control issues.

I think Bill is only getting full control over a bottom feeder. I dont think he wants a bottom feeder because its risky. If he doesnt turn them around his legacy is further tarnished. Also...this might be his last chance to get hired as a coach at his age. What if he goes to a bottom feeder that is terrible and wins 3 or 4 games? Does Bill want to go through the grind of spending 4 or 5 years with a trash team, killing his legacy just to get those 15 wins? I doubt it. I dont even know if a bottom feeder would give him control after the talent in New England last few years.

Seems like Bill would be in very high demand as a consultant...he just needs those 15 wins first.

Has Buffalo let it be known they are keeping McDermott?

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Can anyone explain to me why Belicheck would still be demanding FULL control?

Sounds like teams are going the younger route these days or dont want a rental unless the rental coach is for turning the franchise around.

Maybe Bill over estimated his services...but demanding full control seems like it would narrow his potential prospects greatly. Plus...if he was in charge of drafting recently...that team was terrible.

I just dont buy Bill wanting full control anymore. He just wants the 15 wins. He said he is open to change too. Wonder if that has to do with control issues.

I think Bill is only getting full control over a bottom feeder. I dont think he wants a bottom feeder because its risky. If he doesnt turn them around his legacy is further tarnished. Also...this might be his last chance to get hired as a coach at his age. What if he goes to a bottom feeder that is terrible and wins 3 or 4 games? Does Bill want to go through the grind of spending 4 or 5 years with a trash team, killing his legacy just to get those 15 wins? I doubt it. I dont even know if a bottom feeder would give him control after the talent in New England last few years.

Seems like Bill would be in very high demand as a consultant...he just needs those 15 wins first.

Has Buffalo let it be known they are keeping McDermott?
yes Buffalo is keeping McDermott

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
Terrible hire.

But I'm sure the league will give them draft picks and free cap space.
This is a stupid take, and you're trying thinly veil your true feelings about a rule here, but the team that hires is not the team that gets the draft picks. The former team is the one that gets rewarded for having the guts to promote in that way

shabazz

Reaction score
Terrible hire.

But I'm sure the league will give them draft picks and free cap space.
Espn will guarantee Atlanta a 15 year honeymoon/grace period as well.....don't look for any critique whatsoever no matter the result

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
Why is everyone assuming he even interviewed well? His reputation got him a look. That's all he's owed. I applaud the Falcons for not doing what everyone just wants them to do.

Rayman70

Reaction score
BB on TV would be less entertaining than watching paint dry. Neither are appealing.