Fans have a short memory - Tony Romo 2014 **merged**

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Initially, @Galian Beast thanks for that. I had been eating the cheese from our fellow Cowboys fans and had forgotten about what Romo's ceiling is. Out of sight out of mind. I needed reminding

All the people in this thread that are writing him off due to injury seem to forget the point made at the beginning of the video: that is exactly what was being said 2 years ago in the exact same terms.

Now I am not going to put it out of the realm of possibility that he is done physically but the 3 plays that we saw so far this year is not enough to convince me.

That video reminded me of a couple of things.

First, Romo is the far superior deep passer. While Dak takes a couple shots a game, Romo is able to set up deep throws down in and down out. When was the last time you remember Dak throwing on the 9 route?

Second, Romo is far superior in the red zone. To succeed there you need to make read after read in short windows and be able to come back to them because things are so compressed. Dak is to be commended in how far along he is but he is still limited as opposed to what Romo can do in that department. I like Dak's run potential but when it's 3rd and goal at the 8, I want 9.

Third, Romo knows how to use 88 on the fade and 9 route in ways that Dak has yet to figure out. 9 makes 88 better than 4.

Fourth, while Dak is playing checkers presnap. Romo is better at setting things up to exploit mismatches based on formation.

Fifth, 9 is better at utilizing his RB underneath. 4 never throws it to them unless it's a designed screen or the like. Maybe Zeke isn't the pass catcher Murray was but 4 wasn't getting the ball to 25 either.

Sixth, Romo has much better pocket mechanics. His ability to switch from facing left to right, his ability to slide in all directions in the pocket and still maintain his base, and his ability to transition from run/spin/whatever back to a passing set are much more polished than what Dak has right now.

Now the $1m question is whether or not he still can be quick in the pocket like that. I don't care about 2015. Randle and DMC cannot hold the current RB's tandems jockstrap. Dak is benefitting from them as much as anyone else and I feel that were they here last year Cassell and Weeden wouldn't have pulled the 0fer.

I also do not think that the 3 plays that we have seen in preseason are enough to put him out to pasture. Even if he looked tentative and awkward for the small sample, it is important to remember it was the preseason and his first time playing in near a year. Rust is to be expected.

All things considered you would be crazy to not at least attempt to get that level of play back. If it is gone forever then so be it but at the very least we need to check and see. Next year if you want to talk about trading Romo, extra top 50 picks, contract efficiency, and maximizing a roster with the extra room I think those are all valid points but for right now 2014 Romo is light years ahead of where Dak is right now.

Romo had Dez Bryant throughout the 2014 season. All he had to do is throw lobs and Dez went up to get it. Simple as that.

As for throwing the ball deep. Well, he threw it to Dez in the endzone and they took that away from him. Give him Dez as an endzone weapon and you'll see that Dak is no bum also when it comes to getting TDs. Besides, we really haven't need to throw the ball deep while we are busy destroying Dlilnes with our running game.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me why we can't go downfield more now?

Dak isn't able to make the throws Tony can?

superonyx

Reaction score

Dak is capable to throwing down field. But my feeling is that he is not yet comfortable enough with what he sees to throw the ball potentially into harms way. I can't criticize him for doing what he is doing since he is doing such an unbelievable job at finding the openenings in the short and intermediate routes.
The more he plays the more quickly and more comfortable he will get with the downfield reads and will start throwing the ball downfield more. It's just a different level to be able to read deep safeties ect.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Does Dez injury have any effects on our downfield passing game ?

If we have the #1 rushing attack, #1 on 3rd down conversions and #2 offense tell me again how we're missing these higher risk downfield passes?

Isn't this attack just as effective.

Dorsett33

Reaction score
If he comes back and plays well I maintain people would be surprised what we could get for him on a $15m contract. You can have your opinion but you clearly don't like Romo to start with.
Now you're getting off course here. My original quote that YOU replied to said...that I like BOTH QBs. Playing sports most of my life...I just know how important chemistry is to a team. Never said he wouldn't play well. Very doubtful we would get PREMIUM picks with his age and his medical history.

Dorsett33

Reaction score
What does that have to do with anything? You are talking about the team turning on the staff over Tony Romo. You trying to say its a popularity contest?
I'm not saying it's a popularity contest at all. Have you ever played sports? If you have, you should know what I'm talking about. If you haven't, then this conversation will just keep going in circles. YOU'RE the one said that the players respect Romo.

Dorsett33

Reaction score
Does Dez injury have any effects on our downfield passing game ?

If we have the #1 rushing attack, #1 on 3rd down conversions and #2 offense tell me again how we're missing these higher risk downfield passes?

Isn't this attack just as effective.
This is because others are trying to find every reason in the book not to like Dak.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Do you think Romo was a better passer than Dak when Romo was a rookie? All I'm saying is your don't break up chemistry. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the locker room becomes divided if you just throw Romo in the starting lineup and this team is 5-1.
Romo obviously wasn't better as Dak as a rookie because he couldn't even beat out Quincy Carter.

HappyOnions

Datwin
Reaction score
People are getting too caught up in the "Dak not throwing the ball downfield".

He doesn't force passes just for the sake of throwing it deep. You can see him going through his progressions and finding the open man. Butler, Beasley, and Williams all have had a healthy amount of receptions and a lot of that's due to Dak.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score

He doesn't force passes just for the sake of throwing it deep. You can see him going through his progressions and finding the open man. Butler, Beasley, and Williams all have had a healthy amount of receptions and a lot of that's due to Dak.
He doesn't throw deep because he isn't very good at it. Everything he's done to this point isn't a surprise, it's the coaches masterfully playing to his strengths.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Poor showing?

15/19 for 191yds (10.05 yard avg) and 2 TD's with a passer rating of 143.6 is a poor showing?

If Murray doesn't fumble away an easy TD run and Dez simply comes down with the ball instead of doing one handed acrobatics we win that game.

How do you think the Cowboys even got to the divisional round of the playoffs? Hmmm...could it have anything to do with the 36 TD's Romo threw up to that point?

Do you REMEMBER any of that?...sure doesn't sound like it.
I remember that.

I still say his performance on the playoff game was subpar.

When you look at the winning playoff QBs of his era..

they dominate their opposition.

The Mannings, Eli and Payton, Brady, Flacco, Cam, Brees, Rivers..whomever..

Romo can't do it..hasn'the done it.

Will not do it.

He lacks both the mental or physical toughness.

Just the way the cookie..err..Romo crumbles.

Cowboys22

Reaction score

You don't need to throw risky low percentage downfield passes when you can sustain long drives without the fear of your qb making a dumb mistake and turning the ball over. The MO for our offense is to grind it out, make first downs, wear down the other defense, and limit possessions for the other team. You can't do that with a bunch of three and outs because you want to force it downfield quickly. With our run game, Daks ability to distribute the ball to the open WR, and his ability to make plays with his feet when nothing is open, there is no need to force it deep. Run that clock and hold the opponent to 3 or 4 possessions a half and that will help the defense immensely.

HappyOnions

Datwin
Reaction score
He doesn't throw deep because he isn't very good at it. Everything he's done to this point isn't a surprise, it's the coaches masterfully playing to his strengths.

How do you know if he's good at it or not when he hasn't thrown the ball downfield a lot? It's all speculation.

What we do know for sure is that he doesn't force passes and finds his open man. He's a good quarterback who's playing very well for this team.

I really don't know how much more you want from a rookie QB, but chances are you'll never give Dak one iota of credit for anything.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
I remember that.

I still say his performance on the playoff game was subpar.

When you look at the winning playoff QBs of his era..

they dominate their opposition.

The Mannings, Eli and Payton, Brady, Flacco, Cam, Brees, Rivers..whomever..

Romo can't do it..hasn'the done it.

Will not do it.

He lacks both the mental or physical toughness.

Just the way the cookie..err..Romo crumbles.

go back and watch the cowboys 07 playoff loss to the giants. Eli was so dominant Coughlin almost didnt let him throw a pass in the fourth qtr. They had back to back drives nursing a 4 point lead inside their 30 and they were terrified of manning throwing the ball. Manning is a good qb and played great against gb in that playoff run but it was all defense.

The super bowls peyton won he played lousy all postseason. That 06 postseason manning almost threw away the games twice. The defense surprisingly enough won the game for them, and in 09 manning did throw away the Super Bowl.

Brady almost threw away the Super Bowl in 14 but in the end wilson did.

Rivers. Give me a break. If Romo is responsible for losing here according to guys like you then rivers should be one of the worst in the league. They lose every possible way and he was a top 10 pick and he doesnt have any media coverage and the jones family picking players.

anyway, if you hate Romo good for you. If you are going to make silly statements like this study the game more or watch more games I guess.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
You don't need to throw risky low percentage downfield passes when you can sustain long drives without the fear of your qb making a dumb mistake and turning the ball over. The MO for our offense is to grind it out, make first downs, wear down the other defense, and limit possessions for the other team. You can't do that with a bunch of three and outs because you want to force it downfield quickly. With our run game, Daks ability to distribute the ball to the open WR, and his ability to make plays with his feet when nothing is open, there is no need to force it deep. Run that clock and hold the opponent to 3 or 4 possessions a half and that will help the defense immensely.
And that's what we need to do when Tony comes back too. Can't afford to go 3 and out with this defense.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
Initially, @Galian Beast thanks for that. I had been eating the cheese from our fellow Cowboys fans and had forgotten about what Romo's ceiling is. Out of sight out of mind. I needed reminding

All the people in this thread that are writing him off due to injury seem to forget the point made at the beginning of the video: that is exactly what was being said 2 years ago in the exact same terms.

Now I am not going to put it out of the realm of possibility that he is done physically but the 3 plays that we saw so far this year is not enough to convince me.

That video reminded me of a couple of things.

First, Romo is the far superior deep passer. While Dak takes a couple shots a game, Romo is able to set up deep throws down in and down out. When was the last time you remember Dak throwing on the 9 route?

Second, Romo is far superior in the red zone. To succeed there you need to make read after read in short windows and be able to come back to them because things are so compressed. Dak is to be commended in how far along he is but he is still limited as opposed to what Romo can do in that department. I like Dak's run potential but when it's 3rd and goal at the 8, I want 9.

Third, Romo knows how to use 88 on the fade and 9 route in ways that Dak has yet to figure out. 9 makes 88 better than 4.

Fourth, while Dak is playing checkers presnap. Romo is better at setting things up to exploit mismatches based on formation.

Fifth, 9 is better at utilizing his RB underneath. 4 never throws it to them unless it's a designed screen or the like. Maybe Zeke isn't the pass catcher Murray was but 4 wasn't getting the ball to 25 either.

Sixth, Romo has much better pocket mechanics. His ability to switch from facing left to right, his ability to slide in all directions in the pocket and still maintain his base, and his ability to transition from run/spin/whatever back to a passing set are much more polished than what Dak has right now.

Now the $1m question is whether or not he still can be quick in the pocket like that. I don't care about 2015. Randle and DMC cannot hold the current RB's tandems jockstrap. Dak is benefitting from them as much as anyone else and I feel that were they here last year Cassell and Weeden wouldn't have pulled the 0fer.

I also do not think that the 3 plays that we have seen in preseason are enough to put him out to pasture. Even if he looked tentative and awkward for the small sample, it is important to remember it was the preseason and his first time playing in near a year. Rust is to be expected.

All things considered you would be crazy to not at least attempt to get that level of play back. If it is gone forever then so be it but at the very least we need to check and see. Next year if you want to talk about trading Romo, extra top 50 picks, contract efficiency, and maximizing a roster with the extra room I think those are all valid points but for right now 2014 Romo is light years ahead of where Dak is right now.

This about covers what I was about to contribute to this thread.

I would, however, add a 7th point: Dak needs to become a complete QB before he can be considered the best chance to win. This zone-read offense works well for him but he still has much to learn.

According to many, Tony was looking great before the injury. If he is ready, he should start. Don't tell me the change will ruin chemistry, neither; these guys are paid to block, catch, run, and tackle. They all need to do their jobs no matter who is behind center.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
This is because a huge portion of our fan base subscribes to this theory. Logic plays no part in the debate.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Romo had Dez Bryant throughout the 2014 season. All he had to do is throw lobs and Dez went up to get it. Simple as that.

As for throwing the ball deep. Well, he threw it to Dez in the endzone and they took that away from him. Give him Dez as an endzone weapon and you'll see that Dak is no bum also when it comes to getting TDs. Besides, we really haven't need to throw the ball deep while we are busy destroying Dlilnes with our running game.

This might be a compelling argument if Dak could do the same with Dez; he cannot. It's not as simple as just toss it up there and have Dez go get it either; 2015 proved that too.

Romo also threw it deep to more than just Dez on jump balls. Go look at Dak's spray chart. He barely throws it past 15 yards.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score

Like Linehan said you need chunk plays. Like Johnson said, we are not generating enough on offense to compete with the elite teams. Now if you want to pretend that the defense is going to pitch shutouts for 3 quarters like they did last week then great. But we are going to need to generate points.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Tony Romo has never gone 5 straight games without an interception. The most he's ever gone without an INT is 3 games. Dak has already done that in his first five games of his career. And I submit that if Romo comes back in to start it will hurt the running game. EE is already on pace for nearly 1,800 yards rushing with no Dez and having some struggles in learning the zone blocking scheme in the first 2 games. If you don't think that Dak, who can bootleg well and can do read-option well isn't playing a role in that you're completely missing the point.

The 60-yard TD run by EE was a perfect illustration. We were gashing the Bengals with outside zone runs and bootlegs. Cincy thought we were going either stretch run left or bootleg right. The D-Line crashed hard to the left to take the run and Carlos Dunlap contained Dak due to the threat of the bootleg. This left it wide open to run a trap and EE had an Alaskan summer's day worth of daylight to run.

Then you take into consideration the condition that Romo will be in when he comes back and he usually has had to knock off the rust when he comes back from injury...at this point I have zero interest in Romo returning as the starter. Perhaps that changes as we face the Packers, Eagles and Vikings. But at the rate things are going, it would be one of the dumbest decisions in years the Cowboys have made by benching him for Romo. And I would be embarrassed as a fan to see it.

YR

You never had interest in Romo being the starter.