Fans have a short memory - Tony Romo 2014 **merged**

Dorsett33

Reaction score
In my opinion, if the Cowboys make Romo as the starting QB....I think they will lose some of the players which could lose our season. I like them both, but you hear a lot of players talk about how much respect Dak commands. And he's a rookie. In no way am I saying Romo can't win, but I believe he will be on such a short rope with the players. His margin of error will be so small. Again...this is my opinion. I hope we don't mess up team chemistry.

Tass

Lucky Devil
Reaction score
17d24f79e4f73676c0ca67698c663aac0dcbe8cedd4f825d5fe47e314ee95756.jpg

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Initially, @Galian Beast thanks for that. I had been eating the cheese from our fellow Cowboys fans and had forgotten about what Romo's ceiling is. Out of sight out of mind. I needed reminding

All the people in this thread that are writing him off due to injury seem to forget the point made at the beginning of the video: that is exactly what was being said 2 years ago in the exact same terms.

Now I am not going to put it out of the realm of possibility that he is done physically but the 3 plays that we saw so far this year is not enough to convince me.

That video reminded me of a couple of things.

First, Romo is the far superior deep passer. While Dak takes a couple shots a game, Romo is able to set up deep throws down in and down out. When was the last time you remember Dak throwing on the 9 route?

Second, Romo is far superior in the red zone. To succeed there you need to make read after read in short windows and be able to come back to them because things are so compressed. Dak is to be commended in how far along he is but he is still limited as opposed to what Romo can do in that department. I like Dak's run potential but when it's 3rd and goal at the 8, I want 9.

Third, Romo knows how to use 88 on the fade and 9 route in ways that Dak has yet to figure out. 9 makes 88 better than 4.

Fourth, while Dak is playing checkers presnap. Romo is better at setting things up to exploit mismatches based on formation.

Fifth, 9 is better at utilizing his RB underneath. 4 never throws it to them unless it's a designed screen or the like. Maybe Zeke isn't the pass catcher Murray was but 4 wasn't getting the ball to 25 either.

Sixth, Romo has much better pocket mechanics. His ability to switch from facing left to right, his ability to slide in all directions in the pocket and still maintain his base, and his ability to transition from run/spin/whatever back to a passing set are much more polished than what Dak has right now.

Now the $1m question is whether or not he still can be quick in the pocket like that. I don't care about 2015. Randle and DMC cannot hold the current RB's tandems jockstrap. Dak is benefitting from them as much as anyone else and I feel that were they here last year Cassell and Weeden wouldn't have pulled the 0fer.

I also do not think that the 3 plays that we have seen in preseason are enough to put him out to pasture. Even if he looked tentative and awkward for the small sample, it is important to remember it was the preseason and his first time playing in near a year. Rust is to be expected.

All things considered you would be crazy to not at least attempt to get that level of play back. If it is gone forever then so be it but at the very least we need to check and see. Next year if you want to talk about trading Romo, extra top 50 picks, contract efficiency, and maximizing a roster with the extra room I think those are all valid points but for right now 2014 Romo is light years ahead of where Dak is right now.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
In my opinion, if the Cowboys make Romo as the starting QB....I think they will lose some of the players which could lose our season. I like them both, but you hear a lot of players talk about how much respect Dak commands. And he's a rookie. In no way am I saying Romo can't win, but I believe he will be on such a short rope with the players. His margin of error will be so small. Again...this is my opinion. I hope we don't mess up team chemistry.

Why? The offense, outside of Zeke and Morris, are pretty much exactly the same as it was in 2014. Much of the defense particularly at the leadership like Mo, Church, DLaw, Crawford Squared, McClain, Lee, Hitchens, etc are holdovers too.

If Romo flops then I don't see him lasting long but Romo if healthy is a better passer than what Dak is right now.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I think people are missing the bigger picture when they talk about who is better QB overall today. It's about not slowing down or stopping the progress of a rookie who already looks amazing and who has built so much chemistry with the tream, right now.

The future with Dak is far more important than finishing this one with Romo.

A progress stopper isn't a progress stopper if he can play at a pro bowl level. Dak isn't going anywhere and healthy Romo is a better passer than Dak.

Best case scenario is Romo plays lights out trade him for multiple premium picks and then roll with Dak at a pittance for 3 years.

NumOneQB

Reaction score
This is asinine. Go back and read the player's quotes after the Miami game last year. This team loves Romo. You dont think Dez wants Romo to come back? Witten? Twill? The defense. I swear the most on here are prisoners in the moment.

The players/coaches want to win, bottom line. The superior QB gives them the best chance to win, and thats Romo.

What's asinine is you honestly thinking the players are going to say otherwise to the media?

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
What's asinine is you honestly thinking the players are going to say otherwise to the media?

When a player doesn't want to answer a question they are trained to hedge, dodge, and dissemble. They are not trained to straight out lie and give the opposite answer to the truth.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Everyone should want Romo to play succeed for 3 simple reasons:

1. If he plays well-- we keep winning
2. If he plays well-- his trade value goes up in the offseason
3. We need him to at least get through this season and hopefully next to handle his contract

I love Dak and if he wins in GB-- I let him play and let Romo rest. When Dak struggles and we lose, I make the change. Dak has a bright future. Contractually-- we are married to Romo until after the 2017 season.

JJ will play Romo b/c he loves him like a son, and he has invested a TON of money in him. He wants his ROI. After all, JJ is a businessman first and foremost.

ksadler1

Reaction score
A progress stopper isn't a progress stopper if he can play at a pro bowl level. Dak isn't going anywhere and healthy Romo is a better passer than Dak.

Best case scenario is Romo plays lights out trade him for multiple premium picks and then roll with Dak at a pittance for 3 years.

Nobody is trading for Romo and his contract at his age.....

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Nobody is trading for Romo and his contract at his age.....

You never know in this league.

A Team like the Jets maybe?

The Vikings made an awful trade imo. It's working out for them luckily.

Dorsett33

Reaction score
Why? The offense, outside of Zeke and Morris, are pretty much exactly the same as it was in 2014. Much of the defense particularly at the leadership like Mo, Church, DLaw, Crawford Squared, McClain, Lee, Hitchens, etc are holdovers too.

If Romo flops then I don't see him lasting long but Romo if healthy is a better passer than what Dak is right now.
Do you think Romo was a better passer than Dak when Romo was a rookie? All I'm saying is your don't break up chemistry. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the locker room becomes divided if you just throw Romo in the starting lineup and this team is 5-1.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Do you think Romo was a better passer than Dak when Romo was a rookie? All I'm saying is your don't break up chemistry. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the locker room becomes divided if you just throw Romo in the starting lineup and this team is 5-1.

Only chance that it divides is if they lose. You are ignoring that most of the guys and all the leadership know and respect Romo.

Dorsett33

Reaction score

I have some swamp land to sell you if you truly believe the Cowboys can trade Romo for multiple PREMIUM picks.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
And you don't think they respect Dak? And you don't think they'll lose? Hmmm

What does that have to do with anything? You are talking about the team turning on the staff over Tony Romo. You trying to say its a popularity contest?

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I have some swamp land to sell you if you truly believe the Cowboys can trade Romo for multiple PREMIUM picks.

If he comes back and plays well I maintain people would be surprised what we could get for him on a $15m contract. You can have your opinion but you clearly don't like Romo to start with.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
If Romo plays well and we are still winning, and have a chance for the playoffs, we aren't trading Romo.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score

Not sure how anyone could possibly compare Romo to Prescott. It's night and day right now. Will this kid continue to improve? Absolutely. Is he at Romo's level? Not even close. When Romo returns, the offense will open up, we'll be able to pass down field, and Elliott's production will increase even more.

Stunning how short people's memory's are and the media certainly doesn't want to help.

I think your memory is short-lived..

my lasting memory of that year was watching again Romo failing to win in the playoffs and Romo playing his typical game where he tries to win it in the late 4th qt.

And failed ..again.

Instead we were left grasping to a non-called Dez Bryant TD.

While Romo got off lightly with his poor showing again.

That's what I remember.

Silverstar

Reaction score
I think your memory is short-lived..

my lasting memory of that year was watching again Romo failing to win in the playoffs and Romo playing his typical game where he tries to win it in the late 4th qt.

And failed ..again.

Instead we were left grasping to a non-called Dez Bryant TD.

While Romo got off lightly with his poor showing again.

That's what I remember.

Poor showing?

15/19 for 191yds (10.05 yard avg) and 2 TD's with a passer rating of 143.6 is a poor showing?

If Murray doesn't fumble away an easy TD run and Dez simply comes down with the ball instead of doing one handed acrobatics we win that game.

How do you think the Cowboys even got to the divisional round of the playoffs? Hmmm...could it have anything to do with the 36 TD's Romo threw up to that point?

Do you REMEMBER any of that?...sure doesn't sound like it.

Last edited: