Fans have a short memory - Tony Romo 2014 **merged**

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
In my opinion, if the Cowboys make Romo as the starting QB....I think they will lose some of the players which could lose our season. I like them both, but you hear a lot of players talk about how much respect Dak commands. And he's a rookie. In no way am I saying Romo can't win, but I believe he will be on such a short rope with the players. His margin of error will be so small. Again...this is my opinion. I hope we don't mess up team chemistry.

You don't mess up what is going on right now. Its that simple. If Dak falters or somehow defenses begin to figure him out, fine. But as long as we are winning something like 70 or more of our games you dont make the change.

And I think the FO is starting to waiver on Romo as they should.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Here's the thing. I don't care if Dak is at Romo's level. I don't care if Tony is 20X better than Dak. I only care about one thing. WINNING.

I haven't forgot how good Romo was. I only know Dak has the team off to a 4-1 record, and 1 point and a dumb Williams play away from being 5-0. Whyyyyyyy do you people care about anything else?? Agenda driven people kill me.

What do you think our record was with Romo in the past two seasons?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Poor showing?

15/19 for 191yds (10.05 yard avg) and 2 TD's with a passer rating of 143.6 is a poor showing?

If Murray doesn't fumble away an easy TD run and Dez simply comes down with the ball instead of doing one handed acrobatics we win that game.

How do you think the Cowboys even got to the divisional round of the playoffs? Hmmm...could it have anything to do with the 36 TD's Romo threw up to that point?

Do you REMEMBER any of that?...sure doesn't sound like it.

Two years ago buddy. This is 2016. This team is 4-1 and rolling with Dak. How about joining us in the present.

Silverstar

Reaction score
I remember that.

I still say his performance on the playoff game was subpar.

When you look at the winning playoff QBs of his era..

they dominate their opposition.

The Mannings, Eli and Payton, Brady, Flacco, Cam, Brees, Rivers..whomever..

Romo can't do it..hasn'the done it.

Will not do it.

He lacks both the mental or physical toughness.

Just the way the cookie..err..Romo crumbles.

LOL!

Doesn't sound like you WANT him to do it either. Could it be because of Dak perhaps?

Oh yes, let's keep a healthy Romo on the bench for the rest of the season and see IF, our rookie QB can lead Dallas not only to the playoffs but all the way to the SB!

Sure why not, rookie QB's do it all the time in the NFL nowadays right?

Oh wait, let's see now...

The last rookie QB to lead his team to a SB victory was...nobody.
The last rookie QB to start in a SB was...nobody.
The last rookie QB to even play in a SB was...nobody.

Darn it!
Oh well, hey don't let me become your dream squasher. :thumbup:

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
This might be a compelling argument if Dak could do the same with Dez; he cannot. It's not as simple as just toss it up there and have Dez go get it either; 2015 proved that too.

Romo also threw it deep to more than just Dez on jump balls. Go look at Dak's spray chart. He barely throws it past 15 yards.

You can't really compare that until Dez gets back healthy. Then we can really see if thats true or not.

Having Dez or not, you can't deny that one of the main reasons why Beasley, TWill and Butler are having a field day is because of Dak.

Romo really focuses on two targets. Witten and Dez.

We really don't need to throw it downfield as much since were making 1st downs after 1st downs. Aikman never threw it deep much either. Yet we were able to win.

Sustaining drives and making 1st downs after 1st downs demoralizes the defense more than those occasional long passes. Thats what were doing to our opponents.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
You can't really compare that until Dez gets back healthy. Then we can really see if thats true or not.

Having Dez or not, you can't deny that one of the main reasons why Beasley, TWill and Butler are having a field day is because of Dak.

Romo really focuses on two targets. Witten and Dez.

We really don't need to throw it downfield as much since were making 1st downs after 1st downs. Aikman never threw it deep much either. Yet we were able to win.

Sustaining drives and making 1st downs after 1st downs demoralizes the defense more than those occasional long passes. Thats what were doing to our opponents.

Dez wasn't hurt the first few games. He got hurt in the third game. He only got the ball on slants and ins.

Romo throws the ball to everyone. Sure he goes to his top playmakers more than anyone but TWill, Beasley, and Murray all had 35 or more catches in 2014.

We haven't played a prolific offense yet.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The NFL is a " now" league. It's all about what have you done for me lately .

These next two games are critical in the decision. If Dak looks good and we only lose one of them( meaning we lose for some other reason than Dak or the offense struggling) then you leave Dak in.

Wait until Dak or the offense struggles which could begin Sunday. Then it's an easier decision with no controversy.

I really don't think Romo will force the issue if we are 5-2 or 6-1. I'm more worried about Jerry forcing the issue.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Dez wasn't hurt the first few games. He got hurt in the third game. He only got the ball on slants and ins.

Romo throws the ball to everyone. Sure he goes to his top playmakers more than anyone but TWill, Beasley, and Murray all had 35 or more catches in 2014.

We haven't played a prolific offense yet.

Dak threw deep to Dez in the endzone against the Giants. Unfortunately it was called back and I still think thats a TD.

What am saying is that Beasley and Twill have never been as productive as they are now because of Dak. Twill I think never had 7 catches in one game with Romo. Beasley is leading the league in catches I believe. Those two would not be putting up that type of production with Romo. But they are with Dak.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
You never had interest in Romo being the starter.

Nonsense.

It would just be like if somebody were to say that you have no interest in Dak being the starter.

The facts are that Dak has not allowed an interception in 5 games, something Tony has never done. The running game is greatly benefiting from Dak's presence and Romo hasn't played much football in the past year, comes out rusty after long breaks and is coming off 2 back injuries.

I certainly wished to see Tony starting in 2015. And I argued for him being the league MVP in 2014.

That was then and today we have a completely different scenario. And wanting Romo to start at this point would be putting your Romo lapdog fandom over what's best for the team.

YR

mrmojo

Reaction score
Why is this thread not in the other QB zone that was created?

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Nonsense.

It would just be like if somebody were to say that you have no interest in Dak being the starter.

The facts are that Dak has not allowed an interception in 5 games, something Tony has never done. The running game is greatly benefiting from Dak's presence and Romo hasn't played much football in the past year, comes out rusty after long breaks and is coming off 2 back injuries.

I certainly wished to see Tony starting in 2015. And I argued for him being the league MVP in 2014.

That was then and today we have a completely different scenario. And wanting Romo to start at this point would be putting your Romo lapdog fandom over what's best for the team.

YR

Not nonsense. You have been one of the biggest critics of Romo for quite some time.

:lmao:Lap dog. I'm just not hyperconservative in how I like my football.

Romo throws for TD passes. Dak does not. Dak is not very good in the red zone passing the ball frankly.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Dak threw deep to Dez in the endzone against the Giants. Unfortunately it was called back and I still think thats a TD.

What am saying is that Beasley and Twill have never been as productive as they are now because of Dak. Twill I think never had 7 catches in one game with Romo. Beasley is leading the league in catches I believe. Those two would not be putting up that type of production with Romo. But they are with Dak.

1 pass on the go route in 5 games. I don't deny that he passes it underneath ad nauseum to Witten and Beasley.

TWill has never had 7 catches in a game period. The notion that Romo did not use Beasley and TWill is absurd. The difference is he knew how to use the All Pro.

Carnivor3

Reaction score
Like Linehan said you need chunk plays. Like Johnson said, we are not generating enough on offense to compete with the elite teams. Now if you want to pretend that the defense is going to pitch shutouts for 3 quarters like they did last week then great. But we are going to need to generate points.

Dak is currently 5th in the league in Yards per attempt at 8.0. The only QB averaging higher than 8 is Matt Ryan.
Dak is 2nd in QBR only to Matt Ryan.
We have the 2nd leading offense in the entire NFL.

The question is are we even missing what Romo could give us? The production says no. Having long sustained drives is why our defense is playing well. Is Romo a better down the field passer, yes. But who says you need deep passing to have success in this league? The only teams that still consistently throw it deep are Pittsburgh and Atlanta. Manning won a superbowl last year and he had the 29th worst yards per attempt in the league. He couldn't complete anything more the 15yds down the field.

Silverstar

Reaction score
Two years ago buddy. This is 2016. This team is 4-1 and rolling with Dak. How about joining us in the present.

Yeah, I know it was two years ago. I didn't dig it up it was another poster. My response to him was Romo isn't the reason we lost that game. I thought he played well, while others not so much.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Not nonsense. You have been one of the biggest critics of Romo for quite some time.

Romo throws for TD passes. Dak does not. Dak is not very good in the red zone passing the ball frankly.

My favorite with that poster is that for years he would harp on how Romo was only 6"2 and how its too hard to win at that size.
Then along came Wilson and now I am sure it wont matter at all for Dak either.

Funny stuff.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I have no clue if we could win the Super Bowl this year, but we will see what Romo and or Dak can do. People hate change sometimes. People hate change a lot of the times actually. One day, it's over. It's just over ladies and gentlemen. I know people want Romo to play until he's 60 but that's not going to happen.

If Dak turns out to be the next Troy Aikman, guess what, one day, his day will be up. We all have to admit one day when time is up.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing as you. Can you imagine the holes for Zeke when Romo returns? Teams right now aren't really taking Dez too serious, but he's a completely different animal with Romo .

Romo makes Dez elite. If teams want to stack the box with Romo, Dez will eat them alive. With Romo, we are a legit Super Bowl contender
When have we ever been a legit Super Bowl contender with Romo? We've been out of the first round ONCE.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
1 pass on the go route in 5 games. I don't deny that he passes it underneath ad nauseum to Witten and Beasley.

TWill has never had 7 catches in a game period. The notion that Romo did not use Beasley and TWill is absurd. The difference is he knew how to use the All Pro.

Your right Twill never caught 7 catches. He caught 5 against the Bengals. I don't recall him being that productive with Romo.

Who said I stated that Romo didn't use Beasley and TWill? I'm saying that they are being more productive with Dak than any time in their NFL career.

Dak has done more with less and got everyone involved. Give Dak the entire year with Dez and he will just as productive without the headache of unwarranted INTs which we sometimes get with Romo.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score

I've also supported Romo as well as the aforementioned support for the argument of him being the NFL MVP in 2014. I just don't buy into the lapdogs that find any excuse for him making mistakes and turning the ball over and when he doesn't play well.

Dak, so far, has not turned the ball over outside of 1 fumble. Romo is turnover prone. But by the same token, I've also argued that poor coaching and playcalling have hurt Romo's career.

Currently, Dak is 2nd in FO.com's DYAR and 3rd in DVOA. The team has scored the 6th most points this year. As Parcells stated, at the end of the day, a QB is judged by getting the team into the endzone.

Furthermore, I think red zone passing is one of the weakest parts of Romo's game. He's not a good underneath thrower and doesn't throw a good fade ball. At least with Dak he's a running option that makes it hard for the weakside to not account for him. And that's why we have the best 3rd down offense in the NFL.

And yet, we want a 36-year old QB that hasn't played more than a few downs since last Thanksgiving and who got hurt immediately when he played in preseason to come right in and expect him to be on point.

Again, only a Romo lapdog would want him starting at this point in time. As Favre said, he should come back when he's needed.

YR

coult44

Reaction score
What do you think our record was with Romo in the past two seasons?

But he got hurt. And he got hurt on 3 consecutive hits. That changes a whole lot.

Question. If Romo comes back and struggles badly. How long will you give him? Are his feelings, and your admirations for him, worth screwing team chemistry and wins up?