Fans have a short memory - Tony Romo 2014 **merged**

plymkr

Reaction score
I keep hearing people say that Romo is not the same player as he was in 2014.. my question, is how do you know? He may be better than he was in 2014. You are making your case off a 2015 where he got the same bone broken twice (only because he rushed back before it was fully healed). Romo played pretty dang good in 2014. Super Bowl level good. I think Dak has proved he is far better than most thought, including myself. He is the future, or at least it sure seems that way today. But Romo is an elite level QB. Romo may not be able to play anymore, he might fall apart when he gets hit again,,, then again, maybe not.. maybe just maybe he will play as we have been blessed with in the past and if so, look out. This team would be unstoppable.
This is another good point. How do you know that he won't be the same player. in 2015 he led a 4th qtr comeback against the giants to win the game, was beating the Eagles and then he got hurt. He came back and played well against the Dolphins and then played bad until he got hurt again against Carolina. So he played 4 games last year and 3 games he played well and we won. 1 game he played bad until he got hurt and we lost. I don't know how anyone can say with absolute certainty that the 2014 Romo is gone. Or I don't know how anyone can say with absolute certainty that Romo can't play at a high level.

Reaction score
Why does it have to be disrespect to Romo to conclude Dak is a better option at this point? I want the team to win and Dak is getting that done. For all of Romo's stats what has the team ever won with him? Nothing because he eventually folds or fails to lead the team to victory. I'd be happy to see Romo back on the field but only after Dak falters.

No, in your original response you trashed his career by laying the past decade's futility at his feet:

What happened in 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2015? Why should 2014 and only 2014 be looked at to say Romo should get his job back? Romo has had a decade and we have nothing to show for it. He cannot see the field unless Dak faulters. Period! Anything else would simply be insane and would risk throwing the season away and fracturing the lockeroom. Nobody expected Dak to play this well but here we are. You don't bench a winning QB for an over the hill inconsistent QB who has never led the team to anything!.

Romo and Dak both bring positive things to the table and there are arguments to be made for both, but what really galls me is the trashing of Romo. We get enough of that from the mediots.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

Not sure how anyone could possibly compare Romo to Prescott. It's night and day right now.

They can't be compared right now because I don't believe Romo can return and play to the level we've seen Dak play so far. No way could Romo go 5 straight games with 155 attempts and not throw an INT. Romo had 7 INT's and a lost fumble playing in only two full games last season and parts of two others. Dak's 69.0 completion percentage is right on par with Romo at his best. Dak has given us 3 rushing TD's in 5 games, while Romo has only scored 5 rushing TD's his entire career. Dak is providing some skills and a dimension we never had with Romo and the poise and leadership he's shown as a rookie is second to none.

Dak is looking special and the starting QB job is his to lose. His play is going to have to regress or he's going to have to suffer an injury for us to ever see Romo play again. Dak has a chance to be a truly great QB. I've been following the Cowboys since the 1972 season and have never been so impressed by a Cowboys rookie. It's almost hard to believe how well Dak has played....pinch me! If a Cowboys fan came out of a coma and saw the numbers but not the name of the QB, they would assume it's Romo off to another MVP caliber season.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
It doesn't matter who the QB is. Article will be posted later tonight...

DFWJC

Reaction score
I'm sorry. I was still of the belief that you win super bowls on the field by winning playoff games and then scoring the most points in the final game of the year. I didn't know teams could win it with career passer ratings. I stand corrected.

I don't think anyone believes Romo has been the problem but that doesn't mean people with a brain and eyes can't conclude that right now Dak is the better option if the objective is to win football games.
Team game, unless that has escaped you.

But yes, in the end, for the team, the bottom line is winning.

LittleD

Reaction score
I think people are missing the bigger picture when they talk about who is better QB overall today. It's about not slowing down or stopping the progress of a rookie who already looks amazing and who has built so much chemistry with the tream, right now.

The future with Dak is far more important than finishing this one with Romo.

To you maybe... Not Jerry and Garrett. They want to win now and they want to do that with Romo.
Guess what? They are going to at least try and do that with Romo. If he can't come back so be it but,
they are going to try it their way...

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Team game, unless that has escaped you.

But yes, in the end, for the team, the bottom line is winning.

It may be a team game but you can't win without a QB playing well. When you get one doing that, you ride him until he bucks you. You don't replace him with a QB with a sporadic at best history.

shabazz

Reaction score
It may be a team game but you can't win without a QB playing well. When you get one doing that, you ride him until he bucks you. You don't replace him with a QB with a sporadic at best history.

and yet Denver won a Super Bowl with Manning;)

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score

Not sure how anyone could possibly compare Romo to Prescott. It's night and day right now. Will this kid continue to improve? Absolutely. Is he at Romo's level? Not even close. When Romo returns, the offense will open up, we'll be able to pass down field, and Elliott's production will increase even more.

Stunning how short people's memory's are and the media certainly doesn't want to help.

Thank you, Galian for that cool vid link. That video also leads to several other videos that remind me that Tony Romo is a great warrior - straight truth. Dak Prescott is our shining future at QB but, until it is proven otherwise, Romo is our wiser and more capable present at QB.

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
There are a lot of Romo haters that ignore the stats/ignore the fact that for most of his career he was without a defense or running game.. A lot of people who know how good Romo has been are seeing how fragile his body is & are worried about him coming back and playing scared, and making poor decisions based on fearing a hit. Plus they are excited that we have a chance to be really good for years to come with a QB finally in place that has the poise and confidence of Dak, so it's easy to see why people are ready to move on.
They can't be compared right now because I don't believe Romo can return and play to the level we've seen Dak play so far. No way could Romo go 5 straight games with 155 attempts and not throw an INT. Romo had 7 INT's and a lost fumble playing in only two full games last season and parts of two others. Dak's 69.0 completion percentage is right on par with Romo at his best. Dak has given us 3 rushing TD's in 5 games, while Romo has only scored 5 rushing TD's his entire career. Dak is providing some skills and a dimension we never had with Romo and the poise and leadership he's shown as a rookie is second to none.

Dak is looking special and the starting QB job is his to lose. His play is going to have to regress or he's going to have to suffer an injury for us to ever see Romo play again. Dak has a chance to be a truly great QB. I've been following the Cowboys since the 1972 season and have never been so impressed by a Cowboys rookie. It's almost hard to believe how well Dak has played....pinch me! If a Cowboys fan came out of a coma and saw the numbers but not the name of the QB, they would assume it's Romo off to another MVP caliber season.

This is brilliant. Well done sir! :hammer:

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
Let's be honest here. What have Romo really done for this franchise? Nothing but a couple of playoff wins. Why is everyone hyping this guy or situation like it's Joe Montana/Steve Young? If we had some rings or heck consistent playoff berths with Romo under center then I can understand the loyalty.

seriously?

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
When Brady replaced Bledsoe he lit a fire under their entire organization. They didn't look back and Bledsoe had taken NE TO A SUPER BOWL...

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
Thank you, Galian for that cool vid link. That video also leads to several other videos that remind me that Tony Romo is a great warrior - straight truth. Dak Prescott is our shining future at QB but, until it is proven otherwise, Romo is our wiser and more capable present at QB.

What does it take to prove otherwise? Does Dak get 10 years to win two playoff games? Would you be content with this? Romo is UNAVAILABLE CONSISTENTLY... that's part of the issue. Romo is a great warrior ...TRUE.. but now let's focus on results because we've had very little success under the Romo regime. Sucks to hear.. I know.. but that's the bottom line.

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
What does it take to prove otherwise? Does Dak get 10 years to win two playoff games? Would you be content with this? Romo is UNAVAILABLE CONSISTENTLY... that's part of the issue. Romo is a great warrior ...TRUE.. but now let's focus on results because we've had very little success under the Romo regime. Sucks to hear.. I know.. but that's the bottom line.

You can blame the team behind Romo for that. Romo himself has been nothing short of great.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
I've never changed my mind that Romo is a better QB but Dak is playing so well that I do get the "Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It" idea for keeping Dak as the starter. I do think Romo starts again but Dak has an amazing NFL career - and starts sooner rather than later.

The only thing I don't get is the people that have to attack Romo in order to support Dak.
What I don't get is people who want Dak to fail so that Romo takes the job back. Not more than 5 minutes after the game yesterday, there was a thread started about Romo getting his job back. They couldn't even enjoy a great game by our rookies......

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
They said in all of preseason this year he was looking better than he had in 3-4 years.
it would be shocking if they said he looked terrible, don't you think? What are they suppose to say?

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
I don't count the rushing TDs, because we could have just as easily run it with Elliott. You can count them if you want, but you don't get those touchdowns from 20-30 yards out. As soon as we start playing playoff teams, you'll need a QB who can score in the air and quickly.
we played a consistent play off team yesterday.... and dominated!

Kaiser

Reaction score
What I don't get is people who want Dak to fail so that Romo takes the job back. Not more than 5 minutes after the game yesterday, there was a thread started about Romo getting his job back. They couldn't even enjoy a great game by our rookies......

How does that mean posters "want Dak to fail"?

Romo is a Pro Bowl QB. Every coach and FO person has said that Romo will have his job back when he is healthy. Dak has said it to. Is Dak rooting for Dak to fail when he says that?

I wanted Tyron Smith to return to his position at LT. Does that mean I wanted Chaz Green to fail?

DFWJC

Reaction score
it would be shocking if they said he looked terrible, don't you think? What are they suppose to say?
Pretty sure all the reporters could care less. In fact, several are biased against. Yet they were all saying the same thing.

And you're right, the ones that want him to look good (be it front office, players or reporters) would probably not say if he looked terrible, but they also wouldn't say he looked outstanding. They'd probably say nothing at all.