Favorite guitar player

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
Funny think about CC is that as bad as he played on Poison, he was playing to what fit that band and he was playing half drug induced most of the time. He is actually a pretty good guitarist that actually went to NYU to study music theory although I don't think he ever finished his schooling.

I have heard three guitarist noodling on bootleg tapes that I thought were just ordinary run of the meal metal/hair guitarist. Ritchie Sambora, CC Deville and Mick Mars. I was flat out shocked by some of the playing they were doing. Not that they are in the leagues of some of the guitarist mentioned in this thread, but they are better than most realize. Even if you don't give them tech chops, they did create a good number of memorable songs...kind of like the stones in some ways where not many are going to argue about them having the best technical players but it is hard to argue with the number of riffs and songs they have made over the years.

Most of my favorites have already been mentioned in this thread...including one of the most under rated guys in Jeff Beck. Just for that I want to post the following song from him, it is just so haunting. It is from his guitar shop CD if anyone wants to get it.

A blues guitarist that many may have never heard of but has some good chops...

Luther Allison

Uli Jon Roth - Scorpions/UFO and some of his work was being done before Yngwie

Couple of guitarist from a genre that most probably don't care for so I won't bother posting videos.

Death Metal guitarist Trey Azagthoth from Morbid Angel and Chuck Schuldiner from Death.
Both are very good guitarist for their genre. Although Chuck's vocals are so bad that it is hard to enjoy his band lol.

And a person I consider a friend. Most will not recognize the name of the guitarist

John Visconti

Others might remember him under a different name...He used to be a mod here named Juke99

Uli Jon Roth has never played with UFO, perhaps it was Michael Schenker you are thinking of{who is great as well}. Back to Uli though he was brilliant and to this day has retained all of his playing ability. Yngwie has mentioned Uli as a influence and you can definitely hear it in his playing

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Uli Jon Roth has never played with UFO, perhaps it was Michael Schenker you are thinking of{who is great as well}. Back to Uli though he was brilliant and to this day has retained all of his playing ability. Yngwie has mentioned Uli as a influence and you can definitely hear it in his playing

Yes it was Schenker and MSG I was thinking about. Not Uli.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
Yes it was Schenker and MSG I was thinking about. Not Uli.

I saw UFO and the Scorpions at a festival here about 5 years ago and Schenker was very good. When he lit into Rock Bottom the crowd went crazy, when the Scorpions came out and did their set Michael came out and did 2 songs with them. Awesome!

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
Morello is one of the most innovative guitarist out there. Probably not someone you mention in a top ten list, but his contributions should be acknowledged.

Innovative?
EVH, Hendrix and Yngwie were innovative. There is nothing innovative about leaning on effects pedals to flesh out{or mask} the fact that technically speaking you just aren't very good. I can get some of the same sounds out of a modeling amp{and I don't even play much anymore} as well as seen kids in guitar center play the stuff with ease. I have the same issue when I see the Edge make all these greatest guitarist lists, his playing is very simplistic and he leans on effects as well as open string dronings.

crazyeddie

Reaction score
Innovative?
EVH, Hendrix and Yngwie were innovative. There is nothing innovative about leaning on effects pedals to flesh out{or mask} the fact that technically speaking you just aren't very good. I can get some of the same sounds out of a modeling amp{and I don't even play much anymore} as well as seen kids in guitar center play the stuff with ease.
You make a good point about pedals,and effects Achilles.

Back in Page and Blackmores day they didn't have that stuff.That's what made Tony Iomi from Sabbath great ,too.

Now he was innovative!

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
You make a good point about pedals,and effects Achilles.

Back in Page and Blackmores day they didn't have that stuff.That's what made Tony Iomi from Sabbath great ,too.

Now he was innovative!

Yep Blackmore was awesome, love his stuff in Purple and Rainbow. His playing was clean yet full of power. I recall Page using effects a few times namely a wah pedal, and the intro to nobodys fault but mine I believe he used a phaser{not the Star Trek variety}. Also some of the stuff on In through the out door had some effects, namely in the evening and carouselambra. Love all three players you mentioned though.

nobody

Reaction score
I think Joe Satriani found him even before Zappa... being that Satriani was his teacher.

...and speaking of Satriani, he's gotta be on this list too.

Other Satriani pupils were Kirk Hammett and Alex Skolnick among others.

Look at a page or three ago and you'll see my post that has a few Satriani songs. I never get tired of listening to his Surfing with the Alien album.

Plankton

Reaction score
John McLaughlin

Not this one.

john-mclaughlin-1.jpg

This one.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
John McLaughlin

Not this one.

john-mclaughlin-1.jpg

This one.

That was very impressive, as anyone who plays knows that when you play an acoustic guitar you have to be spot on. No distortion, effects and if you make a mistake the whole world will hear it.
Some others I may have missed.
Chet Atkins.
Roy Clark.
Jerry Reed{yes the one from Smokey and the bandit}.
Glen Campbell.

The first segment with Jerry you can really hear the Banjo Rolls he does.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
That was very impressive, as anyone who plays knows that when you play an acoustic guitar you have to be spot on. No distortion, effects and if you make a mistake the whole world will hear it.
Chet Atkins.
Roy Clark.
Glen Campbell.

Eastbound and Down is a great song.....Saw Jerry live back about '86? in Hunter Mountain, NY.....He was very entertaining, as you can probably imagine.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
Chet Atkins.
Roy Clark.
Glen Campbell.

Doc Watson always played a clean acoustic.

hutch1254

Reaction score
Love me some Jimmy Page.

Alex Lifeson most underrated of all time.

Brian Jones was thee best Rolling Stone guitarist - dude was the devil.

Buckethead is a nice change of pace.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
Love me some Jimmy Page.

Alex Lifeson most underrated of all time.

Brian Jones was thee best Rolling Stone guitarist - dude was the devil.

Buckethead is a nice change of pace.

Forgot about Lerxst, La Villa Strangiato, Xanadu, 2112, Cygnus I, II, etc, ad infinitum. Love Lifeson and Rush.