Favre vs. Bledsoe

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Zaxor said:
nope Vinny T and Bledsoe's stats are almost exactly the same.... as I have pointed out on numerous occasions and Vinny had the worse of the two O-lines which I have also pointed out and less skill players...I think your comments are outrageous... how can you compare the great Vinny T to Bledsucks...:laugh2:

Vinny Testaverde - 19 Seasons:

Completions: 3691
Attempts: 6526
Comp PCT: 56.6
Yds: 45252
Yds/Att: 6.9
TD: 269
INTs: 261

Drew Bledsoe - 13 Seasons

Completions: 3749
Attempts: 6548
Comp PCT: 57.3
Yds: 43447
Yds/Att: 6.6
TD: 244
INTs: 198

VERY FIRST THING TO NOTE - Bledsoe already has more pass attempts than Testaverde in 6 LESS seasons. With MORE pass attempts, he has 63 LESS INTS. That alone is huge - it shows what I've said in the thread - as far as mental makeup is concerned - neither is fantastic, but Vinny is CLUELESS as to what is going on in the field of play.

Now granted, Vinny does have more yards and TDs in less attempts - but I really, really don't care after all the INTs.

Further - Vinny's numbers are significantly changed by 2 inspired seasons - 96 and 98. Without those seasons, he has more career INTs than TDs - in a career spanning nearly 2 decades.

Bledsoe, on the other hand, while throwing double digit INTs in nearly every season as a starter, has thrown more INTs than TDs in only 5 of his seasons, whereas Vinny did so in 10 seasons. And not by just a few.

Moral of the story - their numbers are relatively similar - the differences being 2 things - 1 - Bledsoe, in a shorter career, has thrown the rock WAY more than Vinnie, and turned it over less. 2 - He has consistently kept his TDs over his INTs as well.

Neither of these are world beater stats - but to say that Bledsoe hasn't had a better career than Vinnie is as asinine as saying Favre hasn't had a better career than Bledsoe.

How Vinnie started for nearly 20 years is beyond me.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
Crown Royal said:
Vinny Testaverde - 19 Seasons:

Completions: 3691
Attempts: 6526
Comp PCT: 56.6
Yds: 45252
Yds/Att: 6.9
TD: 269
INTs: 261

Drew Bledsoe - 13 Seasons

Completions: 3749
Attempts: 6548
Comp PCT: 57.3
Yds: 43447
Yds/Att: 6.6
TD: 244
INTs: 198

VERY FIRST THING TO NOTE - Bledsoe already has more pass attempts than Testaverde in 6 LESS seasons. With MORE pass attempts, he has 63 LESS INTS. That alone is huge - it shows what I've said in the thread - as far as mental makeup is concerned - neither is fantastic, but Vinny is CLUELESS as to what is going on in the field of play.

Now granted, Vinny does have more yards and TDs in less attempts - but I really, really don't care after all the INTs.

Further - Vinny's numbers are significantly changed by 2 inspired seasons - 96 and 98. Without those seasons, he has more career INTs than TDs - in a career spanning nearly 2 decades.

Bledsoe, on the other hand, while throwing double digit INTs in nearly every season as a starter, has thrown more INTs than TDs in only 5 of his seasons, whereas Vinny did so in 10 seasons. And not by just a few.

Moral of the story - their numbers are relatively similar - the differences being 2 things - 1 - Bledsoe, in a shorter career, has thrown the rock WAY more than Vinnie, and turned it over less. 2 - He has consistently kept his TDs over his INTs as well.

Neither of these are world beater stats - but to say that Bledsoe hasn't had a better career than Vinnie is as asinine as saying Favre hasn't had a better career than Bledsoe.

How Vinnie started for nearly 20 years is beyond me.
mitigating circumstances has to be allowed for because Vinny played on some of the most awful teams in NFL History for most of his career but he has put up very similar numbers....can you tell me who Vinny had to throw to for the most part...what about a running back...what about a TE...what about an named olineman..what about a defense.. what about ST...Vinny didn't have any of those things for a good portion of his career.... so for their numbers to be very similiar tells me Vinny was probably the better QB...it makes sense if not looked through homer/bledsoe glasses...

again Vinny T is equal to or better than Bledsoe add in Bledsoe's fumbles and sacks and the turnover edge goes back to Vinny T

Vinny 114 fumbles 408 sacks = 522
Bledsoe 120 fumbles + 451 sacks =571

49 difference - 63 = 12 turnover/bad play difference in favor of bledsoe add in a plus 25 TD's for Vinny and you got vinny winning this race with a lot less than Bledsoe had to work with... like I said.

Reaction score
Zaxor said:
mitigating circumstances has to be allowed for because Vinny played on some of the most awful teams in NFL History for most of his career but he has put up very similar numbers....can you tell me who Vinny had to throw to for the most part...what about a running back...what about a TE...what about an named olineman..what about a defense.. what about ST...Vinny didn't have any of those things for a good portion of his career.... so for their numbers to be very similiar tells me Vinny was probably the better QB...it makes sense if not looked through homer/bledsoe glasses...

. . . .and you got vinny winning this race with a lot less than Bledsoe had to work with....

Hi Zaxor. I'm new to these boards and this is the first time I have responded to any of your inane anti-bledsoe ranatings. Please allow me to post a quote of yours from earlier in this thread that makes you look like a complete hypocrite for writing that which you did above regarding Vinny Testaverde:

Zaxor said:
it is a joke as Bledsoe always needs "if's" to quantify his whole career... and we have heard them all...

IF he had an offensive line
IF he had a Te
IF he had a WR
IF he had had a second WR
IF he had had a third WR
IF he had had a Running back
IF he had had a good Head Coach
IF he had had a good offensive coordinator
etc.,etc.

poor, poor Bledsoe...

man just think about how good every QB could be with perfect conditions...

Yep, you are completey full of 100% grade A balogne.

Oh, and to answer your question :violin: "can you tell me who Vinny had to throw to for the most part...what about a running back" Well, for a number of years he had Keyshawn-in-his-prime AND Curtis Martin in his prime.

So, there you have it -- you just got schooled.:eek:wned:

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
on8thdayGodcreatedBledsoe said:
Hi Zaxor. I'm new to these boards and this is the first time I have responded to any of your inane anti-bledsoe ranatings. Please allow me to post a quote of yours from earlier in this thread that makes you look like a complete hypocrite for writing that which you did above regarding Vinny Testaverde:

Yep, you are completey full of 100% grade A balogne.

Oh, and to answer your question :violin: "can you tell me who Vinny had to throw to for the most part...what about a running back" Well, for a number of years he had Keyshawn-in-his-prime AND Curtis Martin in his prime.

So, there you have it -- you just got schooled.:eek:wned:
Listen knucklehead it is people like you who have used those excuses for Bledsoe no matter where he went...and it was for the most part it has been crap...Bledsoe had enough parts around him where he should have been better than mediocre...Vinny T for the most part has not had that...now I realize that a QB more than most positions is reliant on those pieces around it.. but Bledsucks has had those pieces and he is still mediocre...

and as far as martin and Johnson well stupid while it is true Vinny had them he also posted a QBR over 100 with them and Bledsoe has never been over a 90 QBR regardless of who he has had... and also notice I said for the MOST PART idiot... Vinny has played 65 games out of 223 games in his career with the jets and not all 65 games had Martin in them and Key was only there for 32 games idiot...

so in 1998 when Vinny had Key and Martin he threw for 29 TD's had 7 ints

idiot

Att Comp Pct Yards YPA Lg TD Int Tkld 20+ 40+ Rate
421 259 61.5 325 67.73 82 29 7 19/140 42 6 101.6

I would consider that would be enough to "school" you but you are by far too stupid to be schooled...idiot

superpunk

Reaction score
on8thdayGodcreatedBledsoe said:
Nope, wrong again. It has everything to do with the media. Year after year GB sports a powerhouse team. Year after year they go to the playoffs. Year after year Favre chokes (except for 1996, when he didn't have to do anything becuase Desmond Howard returned 2 kickoffs for TD's). And year after year everyone has to listen to John Madden blow sunshine up Favre's butt.

Bledsoe, on the other hand, has been positively victimized by a coaching carousel the likes of which no other QB with stats like his has ever had to endure. Parcells has stated that when he took the helm of the Pats they were one of the worst teams he had ever seen = rebuilding. 4 years later Bledsoe is in the SB, then Parcells ditches the team and takes the star RB with him. Enter Pete "I have no control over grown men" Carrol for 4 years of mediocrity in which Bledsoe still managed to put up huge numbers AND lead the Pats to the playoffs twice. Carrol is gone, enter Belechick. No way Belechick is going to pay Bledsoe, or any QB, the money Bledsoe's contract called for. Goodbye Drew, good luck in Buffalo. Buffalo = biggest joke in the NFL, 2 more head coaches for Studsoe, and STILL he damn near leads them to the playoffs after they begin 2004 with 4 straight losses. Now he's back with Parcells and the surrounding talent keeps piling up. 2006 will be the year of the Bledstudsoe.

And you let another opportunity to "man up" and admit being wrong fly out the window - Choosing instead to sing us a sad, sad song about the horrifying journey Bledsoe has had to make through his NFL career. It was to be expected, I guess.:rolleyes:

I love how you criticize Favre for choking in the playoffs (like HE could have stopped FredEx on 4th and 26 :rolleyes:) yet wax poetic about Bledsoe "damn near" leading the Bills to the playoffs. Yippee.

superpunk

Reaction score
Zaxor said:

again Vinny T is equal to or better than Bledsoe add in Bledsoe's fumbles and sacks and the turnover edge goes back to Vinny T

Vinny 114 fumbles 408 sacks = 522
Bledsoe 120 fumbles + 451 sacks =571

49 difference - 63 = 12 turnover/bad play difference in favor of bledsoe add in a plus 25 TD's for Vinny and you got vinny winning this race with a lot less than Bledsoe had to work with... like I said.

Zaxor, you're a little overboard here.

Did Vinny play for some awful teams? Yes. Bledsoe did too, ya know. The Bills and Pats weren't exactly lighting it up when he came to town, and neither were the Boys.

As for your fumbles+sacks comment, that's a bogus stat you've tried to skew to fit in your mold. Fact is, looking at that, YES, Bledsoe gets sacked more than Testaverde. However, he fumbles LESS frequently than Vinny did, during those sacks. Vinny fumbled once every 3.57 sacks, while Bledsoe fumbles once every 3.76 sacks. So Bledsoe actually holds onto the ball slightly better than Testaverde.

You also didn't factor in that Bledsoe throws the ball FAR more than Testaverde ever did, so of course he's going to take more sacks. For their careers, Testaverde averaged 29.3 attempts per game. Bledsoe averages 34.8 - a full 5.5 attempts more per game than Testaverde.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
superpunk said:
Zaxor, you're a little overboard here.

Did Vinny play for some awful teams? Yes. Bledsoe did too, ya know. The Bills and Pats weren't exactly lighting it up when he came to town, and neither were the Boys.

As for your fumbles+sacks comment, that's a bogus stat you've tried to skew to fit in your mold. Fact is, looking at that, YES, Bledsoe gets sacked more than Testaverde. However, he fumbles LESS frequently than Vinny did, during those sacks. Vinny fumbled once every 3.57 sacks, while Bledsoe fumbles once every 3.76 sacks. So Bledsoe actually holds onto the ball slightly better than Testaverde.

You also didn't factor in that Bledsoe throws the ball FAR more than Testaverde ever did, so of course he's going to take more sacks. For their careers, Testaverde averaged 29.3 attempts per game. Bledsoe averages 34.8 - a full 5.5 attempts more per game than Testaverde.

I disagree Vinny has played in 223 games and fumbled 114 times
Bledsoe on the other hand has played in 188 games and fumbled 120 times

this has nothing to do with a sack and then fumble..it could be the QB exchange or bledsoe cleaning his backside with the ball either way the ball has been fumbled by Bledsoe 6 more times in 35 less games...

and again I reiterate count the amount of good players and the years played with of both QB's...in your assessment

Vinny has done more with less..it doesn't sound good but it is the truth

if it is indeed the truth we are seeking here...

but I have insulted Vinny in this forum many times saying he and Bledsoe are the same when in all actuality he is better than Bledsoe

superpunk

Reaction score
Zaxor said:

this has nothing to do with a sack and then fumble..it could be the QB exchange or bledsoe cleaning his backside with the ball either way the ball has been fumbled by Bledsoe 6 more times in 35 less games...

and again I reiterate count the amount of good players and the years played with of both QB's...in your assessment

but I have insulted Vinny in this forum many times saying he and Bledsoe are the same when in all actuality he is better than Bledsoe

You're doing it again. The total number of games is a red herring, one you've chosen because it supports your point. The fact is, as I already showed, that Bledsoe drops back many more times to throw the ball on average, than Vinny ever has. And he fumbles less often in those attempts. If you're going to throw things in like QB-center exchange, etc., than you have to figure in much more than I'm willing to research, and also be willing to admit that these fumbles are not always the QBs fault. That's far too in depth. The fact is, that Bledsoe has on average, 5.5 more chances every game to fumble the ball. And he does it less often than Vinny did. Vinny turns the ball over more than Bledsoe, and gets sacked nearly as often. You're way off here. They've both had the privilege of playing with less than stellar talent most of their careers - that's not exclusive to Vinny.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Zaxor said:

OK - We'll go with recent past.

Check out Vinny's stats in 2003 and Bledsoe's stats in 2004.

Both years were basically the same offense around them. In fact, Bledsoe had a worse OLine to work with.

I really, really fail to see how it is OK to say Vinny had nothing to work with, but when the Bledsoe apologists (which I am NOT) say it, you ridicule them.

INTs don't come from not having talent around you - they come from poor decisions, and Vinny built a career around bad throws.

Now let's say both players suffered from bad players around them - how come for more than half of Vinny's career he thew more INTs than TDs, yet Bledsoe, who also gets that excuse, still managed to keep that ratio ahead.

Why am I even debating this? I'm not a fan of either of these guys.l

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
Crown Royal said:
OK - We'll go with recent past.

Check out Vinny's stats in 2003 and Bledsoe's stats in 2004.

Both years were basically the same offense around them. In fact, Bledsoe had a worse OLine to work with.

I really, really fail to see how it is OK to say Vinny had nothing to work with, but when the Bledsoe apologists (which I am NOT) say it, you ridicule them.

INTs don't come from not having talent around you - they come from poor decisions, and Vinny built a career around bad throws.

Now let's say both players suffered from bad players around them - how come for more than half of Vinny's career he thew more INTs than TDs, yet Bledsoe, who also gets that excuse, still managed to keep that ratio ahead.

Why am I even debating this? I'm not a fan of either of these guys.l

no I explained this before Crown Royal my friend

lets do this again first one is vinny's the second is Bledsoe

Right Tackle T. tucker beaten out by Rob so Bledsoe had the better Rt

Right Guard Gurode he was so bad jerry spent 9 mil on Rivera (and no bad back excuse Gurode was still available to go in at guard) so Bleds had a better Right Guard

Center a 2nd year player (johnson getting his first starts) 3rd year Johnson bleds had the Better C

LG Allen was in an out of the lineup and way out of shape...Allen in better shape and better motivated (see cortez) so Bleds had a better LG

LT Adams who had perhaps his worse year as a professional and for Bleds he had Adams and Tucker who according to Parcells was much better on the left than he was on the right... I might be right in calling for a push but I will be a nice guy and let you have that

so Bleds had 4 of the 5 better...

plus Testy didn't have julius and glenn and Campbell for a good portion of the year and Key was playing on one wheel and there was no barber as backup etc. etc.

the apologist (not you my friend)always use IF to quantify Bledsoe...but it doesn't matter in the makeup of this arguement scratch the IF by testy he is still better

You believe that Ints don't come from a lack of talent...let's say that every pass you throw to me is because I am your only option and each is picture perfect but I bat it to the Dback every single time and he intercepts it...are you making a poor decision... no ... (the example is extreme but talent plays a part and to say it doesn't isn't based in reality)

You want to continue to harp on the int's and cut it down to one stat but it is not just one stat that makes a QB... yet Bledsoe has never had above a 62% completion rate while testy had it 3 times Bledsoe never had above a 88 QBR while testy had it over 3 times and very close on a couple of others...

As long as you want to be honest and seek the truth I am willing to continue to debate this with you but if you have me repeating things to you over and over because you do not want it to see the truth of it than I am gonna bail on this thread... as I do not wish animosity to come from it

Reaction score
Zaxor said:
Listen knucklehead

and also notice I said for the MOST PART idiot... Vinny has played 65 games out of 223 games in his career with the jets and not all 65 games had Martin in them and Key was only there for 32 games idiot...

I would consider that would be enough to "school" you but you are by far too stupid to be schooled...idiot

Ban please.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
superpunk said:
You're doing it again. The total number of games is a red herring, one you've chosen because it supports your point. The fact is, as I already showed, that Bledsoe drops back many more times to throw the ball on average, than Vinny ever has. And he fumbles less often in those attempts. If you're going to throw things in like QB-center exchange, etc., than you have to figure in much more than I'm willing to research, and also be willing to admit that these fumbles are not always the QBs fault. That's far too in depth. The fact is, that Bledsoe has on average, 5.5 more chances every game to fumble the ball. And he does it less often than Vinny did. Vinny turns the ball over more than Bledsoe, and gets sacked nearly as often. You're way off here. They've both had the privilege of playing with less than stellar talent most of their careers - that's not exclusive to Vinny.

are you intentionally not understanding this or what...

bledsoe fumbles the ball more it doesn't matter if he was in the act of throwing it or not...it doesn't matter.....

lets try it this way maybe you can understand if not then I give up on ya.... which is worse a fumble when he is being sacked for a loss of 7 yards or a fumble because he just dropped the ball for a loss of 7 yards....

The result of the play is identical

a fumble is a fumble is a fumble...what does it matter if he was wearing his tutu and his ballerina shoes while doing it... sheesh

superpunk

Reaction score
Zaxor said:
are you intentionally not understanding this or what...

bledsoe fumbles the ball more it doesn't matter if he was in the act of throwing it or not...it doesn't matter.....

lets try it this way maybe you can understand if not then I give up on ya.... which is worse a fumble when he is being sacked for a loss of 7 yards or a fumble because he just dropped the ball for a loss of 7 yards....

The result of the play is identical

a fumble is a fumble is a fumble...what does it matter if he was wearing his tutu and his ballerina shoes while doing it... sheesh

Who stand more chance of getting hit for a fumble?

A QB who drops back 29 times per game - or a QB who drops back 34 times a game? Because if it was fumbled during a handoff, that mostly gets charged to the RB, and if it was a QB-Center exchange, you can't blame that entirely on the QB, now can you? Your narrow view of the stat works if you're just doing your normal Drew-hammering, but not if you're looking at it unbiased. Drew fumbles less per sack than Vinny does. Sorry if you can't (or won't) understand that.

Reaction score
Also, regarding Bledsoe's fumbling, this is a recent thing. Look at his career season fumble totals by season. Not sure why, but he has been fumbling a whole lot more over the last few years than he ever did prior. I think he had 9 last year! And let's not forget, lots of Bledsoe's fumbles occur at the snap which could be the center's fault.

Zaxor, I congratulate you for making a post that doesn't contain the word idiot.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
superpunk said:
Who stand more chance of getting hit for a fumble?

A QB who drops back 29 times per game - or a QB who drops back 34 times a game? Because if it was fumbled during a handoff, that mostly gets charged to the RB, and if it was a QB-Center exchange, you can't blame that entirely on the QB, now can you? Your narrow view of the stat works if you're just doing your normal Drew-hammering, but not if you're looking at it unbiased. Drew fumbles less per sack than Vinny does. Sorry if you can't (or won't) understand that.
and what if it was because he was scratching his ***ls?

there is no way to determine how the fumble was caused from stats on NFL.com... but it is turnover and if it is blamed on the QB he has to live with it just like the 150 ints Vinny has because of wr mistakes...you keep wanting to split hairs but a turnover is a turnover and just as some int's aren't a qb's fault but get counted the same goes with fumbles...you are reaching to try and prove a point and what that point is I haven't a clue...maybe you want me to say Vinny is mediocre at best I agree but Bledsoe is just the same or worse...

Funxva

Inventor of the Whizzinator
Reaction score
AH crap. Hit the wrong radio button. Meant to say Favre is slightly better

superpunk

Reaction score
Zaxor said:
and what if it was because he was scratching his ***ls?

there is no way to determine how the fumble was caused from stats on NFL.com... but it is turnover and if it is blamed on the QB he has to live with it just like the 150 ints Vinny has because of wr mistakes...you keep wanting to split hairs but a turnover is a turnover and just as some int's aren't a qb's fault but get counted the same goes with fumbles...you are reaching to try and prove a point and what that point is I haven't a clue...maybe you want me to say Vinny is mediocre at best I agree but Bledsoe is just the same or worse...

Noone's splitting hairs, but sometimes it is necessary to take more than a cursory look at a stat, to really understand it. You're taking a blunt, head in the sand look at this stat, without acknowledging that Bledsoe has had many more chances to fumble than does Vinny - and you're doing it to support your ridiculous claim that Bledsoe is no better (or worse) than Vinny.

Should Ben Roethlisberger be penalized because he throws less TDs than a guy like Peyton Manning? I guess so, if we're just going to ignore the fact that one QB had 200 more chances than the other to throw a TD pass - which is just a different application of what you're doing with your fumble stat. Ignoring the fact that Bledsoe has MANY more chances to fumble than does Vinny, simply because he's dropping back more - when actually, if you look closer (which you won't do) Bledsoe actually fumbles less frequently than Vinny did.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
superpunk said:
Noone's splitting hairs, but sometimes it is necessary to take more than a cursory look at a stat, to really understand it. You're taking a blunt, head in the sand look at this stat, without acknowledging that Bledsoe has had many more chances to fumble than does Vinny - and you're doing it to support your ridiculous claim that Bledsoe is no better (or worse) than Vinny.

Should Ben Roethlisberger be penalized because he throws less TDs than a guy like Peyton Manning? I guess so, if we're just going to ignore the fact that one QB had 200 more chances than the other to throw a TD pass - which is just a different application of what you're doing with your fumble stat. Ignoring the fact that Bledsoe has MANY more chances to fumble than does Vinny, simply because he's dropping back more - when actually, if you look closer (which you won't do) Bledsoe actually fumbles less frequently than Vinny did.

Look first Vinny has played more games and took more snaps and had the ball in his hand more times than Bledsoe...so regardless of what he was gonna do with it..pass it ..hand it off.. stuff it down his pants...he had less fumbles...

last time if you don't get it please ask someone else to explain it to you

so now according to you Bledsoe has had more chances to fumble because he throws the ball more...sorry friend but that is nuts... first throwing the ball has nothing to do with fumbles second lets say that

Bledsoe has taken a (arbitrary number of snaps) 1000 snaps and he turned it over 500 times...

and

Vinny T has taken a (arbritary number but much larger than Bledsoe's snaps) 100000000000 snaps and turned it over 502 times...who is taken better care of the ball regardless of the freakin amount of times the ball was put in the air....that has nothing to do with it....a turnover is a bad play... and a fumble is a turnover...

O I give up can someone please explain this to him...Ole Zax has very little patience and I must be horrible at get my point across...

jdub12280ea

Reaction score
Hostile said:
I agree, it isn't even close.

For Bledsoe to equal what Favre has done if Favre were to retire right now, Bledsoe would have to do the following in his next 37 games.

53,615 yards for Favre, 43,447 yards for Bledsoe. That's a difference of 10,168 yards.

Bledsoe for the next 37 games would have to average 274.8 yards passing per game.

396 TD passes for Favre, 244 for Bledsoe. That's a difference of 152 TDs.

Bledsoe would have to average 4.1 TD passes per game for the next 37 games to equal Favre. Uh, that's 65 per year.

To me, it isn't even close and this isn't even taking into consideration Favre has much better rushing success.

bledsoe would only have to improve last years average by 47 yards over the next 37 games. I would hope that adding TO could add about 47 yards per game. As far as touchdowns...not going to happen.

Anyone have the totals for career wins / losses for both qb's? Including post season.