Signed by Cowboys FB Olawale traded to Cowboys **merged**

CowboyMike

Stay Thirsty, My Friends
Reaction score
Fans wouldn't have blinked an eye if we had used the 5th to draft a fullback. Here we get our FB and a pick, and it's a bad move.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
No guarantee he would sign with us. Cheap contract and it only cost them 20 spots in the 5th round.

Solid move, even if it isn't sexy.
He is not the blocker that Smith is, and is by far below average special teams player, unlike Smith who is excellent. Had they tendered Smith, it would have cost about $300K more, well worth it for his special teams ability. It's penny pinching gone wild for the Jones' boys............

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
He is not the blocker that Smith is, and is by far below average special teams player, unlike Smith who is excellent. Had they tendered Smith, it would have cost about $300K more, well worth it for his special teams ability. It's penny pinching gone wild for the Jones' boys............
Wasn't he the #2 FB in blocking (according to PFF) and called by his own coach a tremendous special teams player?

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score

He is a better blocker than Smith, but Smith is a better all around player with special teams etc...

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I will go so far as to say that I would rather have Olawale on the field than either of the two backup tight ends we use, Hanna and Swaim. I think he provides more versatility than either, giving us a better threat from that extra blocker position schematically.

Using the second tight end less and the true fullback more would depend for me on the development of Gathers. If Gathers shines again this preseason as a tight end, then I want him on the field. If not, give me more formations with the fullback on the field.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Wasn't he with us before?

Yes, our first big move was to trade for a player who was with us before. Rumor has it we’re working out a trade with Cleveland to get Gavin Escobar back.

Plankton

Reaction score
giphy.gif

RJ_MacReady

It's all in the reflexes
Reaction score
I guess the FO believed that if he was released, then there would be a couple of teams that might try to sign him, driving his price higher than the $190k salary than it is now. Move back 20-something spots and get a cheap FB (one year) that they have familiarity with. It's a "meh" deal in every sense. Nothing to get mad about but certainly nothing to get excited about. It sucks that Keith Smith is gone but it would suck more had we given him a 2yr/$4+m deal, too.