Signed by Cowboys FB Olawale traded to Cowboys **merged**

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Pretty much my feeling to. In light of everything else we've done (or haven't) in FA it doesn't make a lot of sense to me. If they really value the position that much AND "keeping their own guys", why not just keep Smith?
The fact they executed this trade tells me that they not only value the position immensely, but also to the point they wanted to upgrade badly.

It also is a bit a slap at Smith. They want more out of the FB position than a tough guy/ST player.

The only thing that bothers me is that we have been down this road before. We handed Lawrence Vickers a huge FA contract for a fullback and he was a complete waste of time.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
The fact they executed this trade tells me that they not only value the position immensely, but also to the point they wanted to upgrade badly.

It also is a bit a slap at Smith. They want more out of the FB position than a tough guy/ST player.

The only thing that bothers me is that we have been down this road before. We handed Lawrence Vickers a huge FA contract for a fullback and he was a complete waste of time.
Maybe Linehan has some new tricks up his sleeve.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

I think you are reading too much into it. The trade didn't cost us a pick and the player isn't making much. Those are the things Dallas valued.

Garrett wants to have a fullback and Dallas didn't want to spend very much on the position. Maybe it felt it could get Smith back for less than the $1.9 million tender or maybe the team felt it could do better than Smith, but ultimately it was a cost savings move.

Now, again, I think it was a good move because of the things Olawale can do, but I'm not even sure if Dallas will take advantage of those things.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
If this trade does not prove Garrett's fetish with a niche position, I don't know what does.

I don't mind the "swap" overall. Got an older but better player, relatively non-descript draft impact. Could actually be a win.

But fullback is so damn important we have to trade for that versus any of the other gaping holes in this roster?

I just want someone to explain this to me in a way that makes sense.

Where your reasoning went wrong was the word "versus." The Cowboy didn't trade for a FB "versus" doing other things. It's just one of the many things they're working on, and it happened to be the easiest, and therefore the first, thing that got done.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Pretty much my feeling to. In light of everything else we've done (or haven't) in FA it doesn't make a lot of sense to me. If they really value the position that much AND "keeping their own guys", why not just keep Smith?

Smith obviously wanted more money than we were willing to give to lock him up. So we let him taste FA and prove it. And we had to know OAK would want him because of the ST connection.

We traded for O for basically the same reason. Affordable short-term deal, good FB, very low cost. Better to get him and not give up much in terms of draft capital than to have to bid on him if a third team decides it might want to use a RB this season.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
giphy.gif
:laugh:

revospeed

Reaction score
I haven’t been this excited for a fullback since Lawrence Vickers.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
I am not jealous of anything, for I have no idea if Gruden knows how to build a roster or not.

What I do know is that somebody is paying him $100 million dollars to build theirs.

How much are you getting paid to build somebody's roster?
About the same as you, genius.

fredp22

Reaction score
wow-28 pages on a nothing fb. I heard the waterboy from Chicago may be let go

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
So basically they played us like a chump. Hustled Stephen like a bia bia

They take our starter because they believe he's better and make us trade for the guy he's replacing