CFZ Fe, Fi, FO, Fum, methinks the FO is not dumb

kskboys

Reaction score
Dude you could do this for every team lol. Teams make hundreds of transactions and decisions, everyone has more bad than good that’s just the nature of sports.

A few great decisions can outweigh a bunch of bad ones. We are nowhere near a bottom 10 front office. Can’t have the 8th best winning percentage since 2010 and be a bottom 10 FO. Just doesn’t add up.
Yes you can. Jerry is a follow the ball GM, the worst kind. He makes the moves to keep us relevant. He's incapable of making the moves to take us to the next level.

If the goal is to win regular season games, you can put Jerry higher than bottom 10. If your goal is to become super bowl contenders, he is bottom 10.

rambo2

Reaction score
First off, I am as critical of the owner and his son as anyone because I just flat do not like them but some of the criticism thrown their way is overdone.

He is not the worst GM, by far, in the NFL, either now or as long as he's been doing it. The 26 years of wandering in the wilderness makes him an easy target.

I see blame for Elliott's contract and for Schultz's but is the blame for Schultz's balanced by praise for picking Ferguson and Hendershot for better options in this off season?

The blame for Prescott's is overblown because the crime was not giving themselves any options but the draft and what would a trade up in picks cost and was that worth the risk? They did what they had to do and the criticism for not doing the deal earlier ignores the fact they tried to do that. Most likely at the value they placed on him and not what the market dictated.

So, they sit at 6-2, with a backup QB steering most of those but where is the credit for Cooper Rush?

Here is what I am thinking is happening to too many of you. You are letting the past throw shade on your sunshine of this season. You just can't let it go.

Let those 26 years go and relish this season that is right now. They have the best defense in the last 27 years and a run game they seem content to lean on. This is a good team.

Yes, they could lose in the wild card round and keep that string going but why worry about that now? That's 10 games away and a lot is going to happen between then and now. So, forget then and embrace now.

Don't you really want to be happy being a fan? Or have we become happy blaming the FO for everything to the point that we do not see all of the positive moves they've made? Are we too happy being critical?

Believe me, it is not fun for me to give them credit but there is not any analyst that would have given them a chance at 6-2 when Prescott went down. I know, I heard them all.

So far in the 2022 season, this FO has done a great job and better than anyone here would have predicted. We are so busy criticizing them, the good things slip by us. And there are some really good things.
I love what they have done. It is a great time to be a fan. They are a contender. It's a great feeling. It's exciting. It doesn't mean that they will win in the playoffs, but they certainly have a chance. They are clearly around 4th in the power rankings and anything can happen. I'll enjoy the ride no matter what and I am glad they are good this year and will be good next year as well.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
And that was just off the top of my head. Here's some more:

Failed to take the proferred trade of Antonio Cromartie for Tashard Choice.

Failed to take a 2nd round pick for both MartyB and Mike Jenkins. Jenkins was an impending FA who we were going to let walk anyway.

Went chasing Pacman while SF was quietly signing Justin Smith.

Thought Cedric Thornton was a NT even though his build and play screamed 3 tech.

Has no idea what lateral agility and burst are, or what effect they have on a player's success.

Constantly drafts players falling in draft due to injuries/other issues, even though this method has constantly failed.
Right.. almost too many mishaps to mention which prevented this era from a better defense and more success.

And who knows since we finally got lucky with a golden goose in Parsons if it will be enough. Our toxic culture under Jethro’s dysfunctional organization could still cost us . Like wanting to feature Zeke instead Pollard.

kskboys

Reaction score
How can you be totally incompetent and go 12-5 and then start the next season 6-2 with a backup playing 5 games?

I’m all for saying they aren’t good enough but incompetent makes no sense when teams like Detroit and Washington exist.
They are worse than Jerry, yes. However, saying we are better than the bottom 3 or 5 teams isn't a bragging point.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I love what they have done. It is a great time to be a fan. They are a contender. It's a great feeling. It's exciting. It doesn't mean that they will win in the playoffs, but they certainly have a chance. They are clearly around 4th in the power rankings and anything can happen. I'll enjoy the ride no matter what and I am glad they are good this year and will be good next year as well.
Yes, we can do that while also maintaining some critical thinking . Amazing some of us can chew gum and walk at the same time.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
I like the FO, and the way they have been team buildling, drafting, and bringing in free agents. It hasn't paid off, but I think they have a smart approach

kskboys

Reaction score
Yea, if Parsons hadn’t fell in our lap I’m not sure this defense is the impact it’s making now. We were intent on drafting one of the CB’s until they were snagged right in front of us. Hence Parsons.

And it wasn’t just Escobar. The misses we made on defense with several of our top picks when we had a championship caliber offense cost us a better defense ultimately preventing deeper runs in the playoffs.
We should've been considering trading up for Parsons. How in the world did our FO not understand how good of a prospect he was?

And what if we trade back, and then someone offers a bevy of draft picks to move in front of us and snag Parsons? No, trading back for the extra pick was dumb, and we got lucky. Very.

We are not close to the same D w/o him. And now Hankins. I put this on MM. I think he understands. I'm still reserving judgment, but watching him pick up S's and NT's and just simply ball players has started making me think that he might be the answer.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I'm enjoying the ride, but I've also learned not to get my hopes too high. I'd prefer to be surprised in a positive manner, rather than another disappointment. :popcorn:

That's where I am at this point in my fanship, though I'm having a hard time not getting excited and looking ahead at what could be. There's nothing that says you can't be cautiously optimistic as a fan. Lots to enjoy so far, so that's what I'm trying to do ... live in the what is rather than the what might be.

I do want to say when it comes to this front office, I think it goes as the head coach goes. We were at our best when we had a strong-willed one who essentially made all the decisions in Jimmy Johnson. We started coming out of the funk of the post-Johnson years when we brought in a Super Bowl winner in Parcells, who I believe changed Jerry's mind-set some, which is why we are a better drafting team now. And it's no surprise to me that we seem to be headed toward our first back-to-back winning seasons in a long time with another Super Bowl-winning coach in charge.

Some fans seem to have this picture of Jerry Jones as some kind of dictator (or dictator and dictator-in-training with Stephen) making whatever decisions strike his fancy. I think the evidence shows that when he has a coach with some skins on the wall, he gives that coach a lot of say in front-office decisions. Jerry the GM is only as good as the people around him. Of course, he hires the people around him, so when we aren't good, that's on him.

Last edited:

dsturgeon

Reaction score
We should've been considering trading up for Parsons. How in the world did our FO not understand how good of a prospect he was?

And what if we trade back, and then someone offers a bevy of draft picks to move in front of us and snag Parsons? No, trading back for the extra pick was dumb, and we got lucky. Very.

We are not close to the same D w/o him. And now Hankins. I put this on MM. I think he understands. I'm still reserving judgment, but watching him pick up S's and NT's and just simply ball players has started making me think that he might be the answer.

he wans't a pass rusher in college

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Some folks can’t see the forest because the trees are in the way.
After 27 years the trees are pretty frikin tall.

It’s like dealing with a problem family member. You’ll always stand behind them pulling for their success but at some point they’ll need to prove themselves.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
After 27 years the trees are pretty frikin tall.

It’s like dealing with a problem family member. You’ll always stand behind them pulling for their success but at some point they’ll need to prove themselves.
When the going gets tough the tough get going. They don’t constantly whine and they don’t give up. You’ve basically have become a fair weather fan.

dsturgeon

Reaction score

I am now reconsidering your escobar evaluation, haha

817Gill

Reaction score
Yes you can. Jerry is a follow the ball GM, the worst kind. He makes the moves to keep us relevant. He's incapable of making the moves to take us to the next level.

If the goal is to win regular season games, you can put Jerry higher than bottom 10. If your goal is to become super bowl contenders, he is bottom 10.
So over the last 20 something years he’s worse than the Jets, Dolphins, Lions, Washington, Chicago, Cleveland, Cincy, Buffalo, Raiders, Houston, Jacksonville, Tennessee?

And not just the last 2-4 years over the course of the last two decades or so?

You could say we are an average at best FO, bottom 10 for a team that’s consistently competitive makes no sense. Teams with more losing records than winning in the last 20 are bottom 10.

It’s all semantics though because neither are SB level FO’s. Whether bottom 10 or average.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
When the going gets tough the tough get going. They don’t constantly whine and they don’t give up. You’ve basically have become a fair weather fan.
Not at all . Diehard thru it all. Haven’t missed a game in over 60 years. And I boo and cheer thru thick and thin.

Have to take the good with the bad. And the prospects for a better team now doesn’t pardon the mistakes over this era.

terra

Reaction score
It is a confluence of things that drive me crazy.
1. A lot of this fan base chose the Cowboys because they were champions. They jumped on a bandwagon and are now mad because this team is merely pretty good and never great,
2. Hot take artists shoot out emotional takes to drive interactions. Vitriol sells.
3. Trolls tap in to drive to the most insane version of everything just for kicks.

The front office moves haven't been that hard to understand or even that bad.
1. Zeke was smart and he held out while he had power. Deal was no-where near as bad as pretended given he has actually held up very well by RB standards. If Dallas cuts Zeke int he off-season the deal was 4 years 50M. WILD crying over 12.5M per year.
2. Dak handing was criminal, but they wanted to avoid being Carson Wentz'd or Jared Goff'd.
3. Amari trade was pretty neutral. He isn't worth 20M a year and has less explosion or upside to CeeDee but he is really good all the same. Both things can be true.
4. Teams win negotiations with rookies every day, but veterans are going to get that lick back. You pretty much must overpay vets 90% of the time. Recognizing that can both make you cheap and also make you a better roster builder.
5. If you go all-in and do not win it all you get zero refunds in terms of cap space nor draft collateral. You just make future years harder for what?
another jerry apoligist drivels some more

terra

Reaction score
It's not really 27 years...Stephen Jones now runs football operations...He's only been in control since he pushed Garrett out the door.

Obviously Jerry will always be 1st in line when there is a microphone or camera involved...

It started in 2014 when Stephen Jones made the push to promote McClay to the top talent acquisition job.

Jerry would never have let anyone else cut Dez.

Jerry would have kept Garrett.

Jerry would not have cut Jaylon.

Jerry would have given in to any contract demands from Randy Gregory.

Jerry's last big influence was the big contract for Zeke. Stephen Jones was going to call Zeke's bluff on the holdout.

The Stephen Jones plan has had good results.

SJ hired McCarthy in 2020 and had limited available options to hire a D-Coordinator. They didn't hire Nolan until about 2 weeks after McCarthy because they tried to hire someone else.

Note: Stephen and McClay wanted to hire Dan Quinn back in 2013. Quinn had been at the University of Florida in 2011 & 2012.

Results of the Stephen Jones plan:
2020: Dak injured and Nolan fails.
2021: Fired Nolan, hired Quinn. Made the playoffs.
2022: 6-2 and the best defense in a long time.
keep telling yourself Stephan is running the show.
say it often enough and you might even believe it yourself