Fear the Walking Dead

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I figured the cause of it all would forever remain a mystery

Supposedly Kirkman didn't like Darabont even broaching the idea of a possible cause during the 1st seasons CDC arc.

I think Kirkman perceives that it's immaterial because the entire point of the graphic novel is about surviving, without caring what caused it, which there is merit to that even though many would find it interesting on what he thinks was the driving force behind it all.

AzorAhai

Reaction score
I'm going to give the show a fair chance before making any judgment on it. Yes it's current pace is slow, but thats to be expected. It's a telling of the story we missed in The Walking Dead. In that, there's 5 minutes of pre zombie action in the series. Then Rick wakes up and its full blown, zombie horde apocalypse the rest of the way.

blindzebra

Reaction score
Supposedly Kirkman didn't like Darabont even broaching the idea of a possible cause during the 1st seasons CDC arc.

I think Kirkman perceives that it's immaterial because the entire point of the graphic novel is about surviving, without caring what caused it, which there is merit to that even though many would find it interesting on what he thinks was the driving force behind it all.

But wouldn't that defeat the whole Eugene to Washington aspect? I mean knowing how it started is the first step to stopping it. Even if day to day survival is key I'd still at least be thinking about ending it.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But wouldn't that defeat the whole Eugene to Washington aspect? I mean knowing how it started is the first step to stopping it. Even if day to day survival is key I'd still at least be thinking about ending it.

Hey BZ, there's a difference between the characters wanting to know what started it and the guy who's created those characters wanting to know.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This one's going to be on a slow burn. It's only a six episode season, so it's going to start slowly and peak right at episode 6. I like it less than I was hoping to so far, but far more than enough to keep watching from here on out. My 13 year old son says it's a lot scarier than TWD because you get to see it happening gradually to regular people. I kind of agree. And the LA background has a lot of potential, too.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This one's going to be on a slow burn. It's only a six episode season, so it's going to start slowly and peak right at episode 6. I like it less than I was hoping to so far, but far more than enough to keep watching from here on out. My 13 year old son says it's a lot scarier than TWD because you get to see it happening gradually to regular people. I kind of agree. And the LA background has a lot of potential, too.

The difference (between the two shows) is that "TWD" never made me feel like I had "Watched this zombie movie before".

"FTWD" has re-tread stamped all over it. I haven't sensed any "originality" yet.

I think with "TWD" they caught lightning in a bottle. Everything seemed to click, from the opening sequence with the car chase on down. Heck, even the show's opening score was catchy.

"FTWD" is just an OK zombie flick at this point. Better than some, worse than others.

blindzebra

Reaction score
I wonder if there is a perception difference between those who watched The Walking Dead from the start each week versus those that started later after binge watching? I see a lot of those that were invested from the start holding the early shows in much higher regard then I do since I did not start watching until season 4...had the flu and binge watched 1-3 before 4 kicked off. I think the split season months waiting has a lot to do with the way one views the show.

AzorAhai

Reaction score

Thats kind of stupid. They had 11 Sundays from pilot to season premiere for the walking dead, why not butt them up together with a 10 episode season?

Either way, I knew it would start slow in the first few episodes, but from the next episodes preview it picks up even more next time. I like it. In the original, you not only miss how it happened, but how people changed. You missed all of the riots, the looting, the failure of the government. More importantly you missed how people had to react. Having to kill for the first time or the adjustment process from everyday life to anarchy. Then having to do all of this from a populated city like LA. I just wonder how many episodes they can manage before it transitions to a copy of the walking dead.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wonder if there is a perception difference between those who watched The Walking Dead from the start each week versus those that started later after binge watching? I see a lot of those that were invested from the start holding the early shows in much higher regard then I do since I did not start watching until season 4...had the flu and binge watched 1-3 before 4 kicked off. I think the split season months waiting has a lot to do with the way one views the show.

That's a good question.

If I had to binge watch the thing, this is how I would do it...

Seasons 1 & 2 together. Why? Both were either done by Frank Darabont or highly influenced by him. Also by the end of season 2, our core group has been broken up.

Season 3 and season 4A (first 8 episodes). Why? It covers the prison-arc in its entirety.

Season 4B and season 5. Why? It's the long road to their present habitat.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thats kind of stupid. They had 11 Sundays from pilot to season premiere for the walking dead, why not butt them up together with a 10 episode season?

Either way, I knew it would start slow in the first few episodes, but from the next episodes preview it picks up even more next time. I like it. In the original, you not only miss how it happened, but how people changed. You missed all of the riots, the looting, the failure of the government. More importantly you missed how people had to react. Having to kill for the first time or the adjustment process from everyday life to anarchy. Then having to do all of this from a populated city like LA. I just wonder how many episodes they can manage before it transitions to a copy of the walking dead.

It's all about how much they (the network) can get for commercial spots. They aren't going to trust any new show for more than a half-dozen episodes. This isn't ABC, CBS, NBC or Fox. The pockets at AMC aren't quite as deep.

AzorAhai

Reaction score
It's all about how much they (the network) can get for commercial spots. They aren't going to trust any new show for more than a half-dozen episodes. This isn't ABC, CBS, NBC or Fox. The pockets at AMC aren't quite as deep.

I figured hype alone would be able to fill that out pretty well. The Walking Dead is soooo popular a spinoff would be highly anticipated. I can't imagine as smart and good of a network they are they couldn't get a range of expected viewers , even for a new show. It predictably got a ridiculous number of viewers.

A massive 8.2 million people watched the second episode of the new series, including 5.2 million viewers in the coveted 18-49 demographic (5.1 million adults aged 25-54 also watched the show). That’s a slight drop from the premiere’s record ratings: Last week, 10.1 million men and women tuned in to the Walking Dead companion series, a record for biggest ever in cable television history.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/08/31/fear-walking-dead-ratings

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I figured hype alone would be able to fill that out pretty well. The Walking Dead is soooo popular a spinoff would be highly anticipated. I can't imagine as smart and good of a network they are they couldn't get a range of expected viewers , even for a new show. It predictably got a ridiculous number of viewers.

A massive 8.2 million people watched the second episode of the new series, including 5.2 million viewers in the coveted 18-49 demographic (5.1 million adults aged 25-54 also watched the show). That’s a slight drop from the premiere’s record ratings: Last week, 10.1 million men and women tuned in to the Walking Dead companion series, a record for biggest ever in cable television history.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/08/31/fear-walking-dead-ratings

You'll have to talk to A&E. :)

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Yeah.
For example, when the mother leaves her kids at home to get meds for her son's withdrawal symptoms, the first reaction is to roll your eyes at the stupidity of separating yourself from your family. But then you remember it's the very beginning of the outbreak and it's actually reasonable to think that getting something to help your son come down might be worth the risk--not knowing what the risk ultimately becomes.

I do think they get to a point fairly soon where the exhaust the emotional content of this period where the families are figuring out what's going on. There's only so much you can do with society's authority structures failing or getting abused and with the tough choices you'd have to make as your friends and neighbors get torn apart. After half a season or so, if you really milk it, you're back at a point where you're in a full-blown apocalypse. From there on out, you have to just hope the characters and the story are compelling enough to keep things driving. It sounds like we're going to maybe get to see some zombies in the Mojave dessert, which could be a cool departure from what we've seen before with the franchise, anyway.

AzorAhai

Reaction score
Yeah.
For example, when the mother leaves her kids at home to get meds for her son's withdrawal symptoms, the first reaction is to roll your eyes at the stupidity of separating yourself from your family. But then you remember it's the very beginning of the outbreak and it's actually reasonable to think that getting something to help your son come down might be worth the risk--not knowing what the risk ultimately becomes.

I do think they get to a point fairly soon where the exhaust the emotional content of this period where the families are figuring out what's going on. There's only so much you can do with society's authority structures failing or getting abused and with the tough choices you'd have to make as your friends and neighbors get torn apart. After half a season or so, if you really milk it, you're back at a point where you're in a full-blown apocalypse. From there on out, you have to just hope the characters and the story are compelling enough to keep things driving. It sounds like we're going to maybe get to see some zombies in the Mojave dessert, which could be a cool departure from what we've seen before with the franchise, anyway.

Thats going to be awesome. They should definitely take their time with getting there though. Make sure to develop the characters and make them interesting enough to maintain a strong following. They can't take too long in doing it though. Rick was in a coma for 3 or 4 weeks and Atlanta had already been devastated. There has to be a balance they find. I'm looking forward to seeing how this plays out.