Fear the Walking Dead

AzorAhai

Reaction score
You'll have to talk to A&E. :)

I wonder if they worried about a potential burnout or over saturation of zombies. The Walking dead has steadily gotten longer so I guess they could run the risk of overloading people and losing interest in both series. I think if its renewed, which I think it will, they will do a month or two break between the end of the Walking Dead and a new season of FTWD. Then end FTWD a month before TWD. Something like October- Late March/Early April for TWD, and June-Mid September for FTWD.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wonder if they worried about a potential burnout or over saturation of zombies. The Walking dead has steadily gotten longer so I guess they could run the risk of overloading people and losing interest in both series. I think if its renewed, which I think it will, they will do a month or two break between the end of the Walking Dead and a new season of FTWD. Then end FTWD a month before TWD. Something like October- Late March/Early April for TWD, and June-Mid September for FTWD.

You bet they're concerned about "zombie overload". This particle niche of the horror genre has probably run its course, at least as far as movies go. "The Walking Dead" itself goes beyond the whole zombie thing which is a big reason for its lasting success. And of course they're hoping for the same with the new series. The problem is that the character so far aren't as dynamic as Rick/Shane. Now the question is will people give it enough of a chance in order to gain similar long-term success as "TWD"? I don't know.

blindzebra

Reaction score
You bet they're concerned about "zombie overload". This particle niche of the horror genre has probably run its course, at least as far as movies go. "The Walking Dead" itself goes beyond the whole zombie thing which is a big reason for its lasting success. And of course they're hoping for the same with the new series. The problem is that the character so far aren't as dynamic as Rick/Shane. Now the question is will people give it enough of a chance in order to gain similar long-term success as "TWD"? I don't know.

But Rick and Shane were in a dynamic profession so that greatly enhanced their watchability. A better comparison would be Dale, Glenn and Carol where they needed to quickly evolve to survive. Kim Dickens has a chance to become bad *** the way she went after it last night.

Stryker44

Reaction score
A bit disappointed they don't explain the bio terrorism origin and point to a group (Al Qaeda, Muslim Brotherhood, Islamic Jihad, ISIS, etc) that caused the virus to be released in the first place.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A bit disappointed they don't explain the bio terrorism origin and point to a group (Al Qaeda, Muslim Brotherhood, Islamic Jihad, ISIS, etc) that caused the virus to be released in the first place.

I don't think they would ever go in that direction (as a show).

Lodeus

Reaction score
Hope the kid she dropped off makes a appearance again. Dude is a stud when it comes to the zombie apocalypse.

Their kids were annoying me with the teenager cliches but it seems those will end soon.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I really think Alicia has zombie written all over her. Of course, I thought the same thing about Carl and he's survived until season six. Alicia's character has grown on me somewhat though. Her brother's addiction has weighed on her heavily at a very young age. Alycia Dehnam-Carey is doing a good job of conveying that dynamic on the screen. Right now I still want her to get bitten and zombified but that feeling may change as I see her adapt/not adapt to the apocalypse.

Side note: It must be cool for an actor having their character share the same first name as their real name. People call you by the name you recognize without hesitation all day long--whether you're in or out of character.

Side note part deux: I still wouldn't miss Carl if a zombie finally chomped down on him.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nick (sounds like Rick, lol) is a heroin addict. I wonder how far the show will focus on his addiction and the choices he will make because of it? The Walking Dead focused somewhat on addiction with Bob in season four. Bob's alcohol cravings created an incident where zombies starting following through the roof and got Zach killed. That was about it showcasing addiction and how it might play out in the apocalypse until Nick and Fear The Walking Dead arrived. How long can an addict operate in an end of the world environment without getting himself and his companions killed?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

There is going to be plenty of opportunity for these characters to develop into legit badasses. It's just going to take some time.

A good zombie outbreak show should be 80-90% about fighting off other humans, betrayal, desperation, inverting the authority structure, and that evolution from regular person to post-apocalyptic butt-kicker. And, oh yeah, there are some zombies there, too. That stuff doesn't get old if you have the right setting and can get people invested in the characters. I agree, though, that we're off to a slow start. Not as sympathetic to the teen addict as I could be. I want the daughter to get eaten sooner rather than later. I don't like the husband, and I want the wife to become somebody I can actually root for sooner rather than later.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Not sure why these horror-type movies always have to have dill-weed characters.
Reminds me of the chainsaw massacre commercial where all the character didn't get away via a running car but instead go into a lit garage while hiding behind a bunch of hanging chainsaws and machetes.
lol

really silly

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Does every single show have to have a drug addict or alcoholic as one of the lead characters? I am burnt out on the whole thing.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You need to give the characters a chance to shine my friend. It is only been a couple of weeks. Give them some time.

There's some merit to that. I was spoiled by "The Walking Dead". From the opening minutes of the pilot episode I thought the Rick & Shane characters were very good. And then top it off with the Morgan character and I was hooked.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
The difference (between the two shows) is that "TWD" never made me feel like I had "Watched this zombie movie before".

"FTWD" has re-tread stamped all over it. I haven't sensed any "originality" yet.

I think with "TWD" they caught lightning in a bottle. Everything seemed to click, from the opening sequence with the car chase on down. Heck, even the show's opening score was catchy.

"FTWD" is just an OK zombie flick at this point. Better than some, worse than others.

It's unfathomable that the 1968 NOTLD spawned this. "This" being NOT about "the walking dead" people per say.... But about the living.

A stretch. A bad one.

Nothing new. Just perspective and POV.

BLAH....

I watched forst two episodes of FTLD. Nothing to it really.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
FTWD is like they took all of the stupid, naive, and melodramatic characters from TWD and made a show around them.

jrumann59

Reaction score
I love the guy that plays the husband as an actor, but I hate his character so much.