Feels like our legacy is dwindling

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuck520

Reaction score
There is a disconnect or generation gap between the older and younger fans now
The older fans that watched the Super Bowl titles have that to fall back on the younger fans have not watched it so they only know the drought

The fanbase is fragmented now and the franchise is essentially two franchises, the franchise until Super Bowl XXX, and the franchise after Super Bowl XXX

Even though its the same franchise the corporate media presents it as two and the fans of all demographics are viewing it as two, maybe more

Interesting question that I have not understood until now
Are the fans a fan of the franchise from the time they have been a fan or the entire history?

I've always thought of it a cumulative history and as one franchise but the corporate media narratives about the team "never" winning the Super Bowl cant exist because of its past therefore it has to be discounted or ignored

Thats also why there are so many rivalries within the fan base of the different eras. In other words the fan base and the history is fragmenting and not viewed in its totality anymore even among the fan base.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I know I'm 31, so I probably don't know as much about the Cowboys legacy as many of you. I was around for the Cowboys SBs in the 90s, but I was too little for the sport at the time. That said, this has been a rough season for me as a Cowboys fan. I'm always going to be a Cowboys fan, and it pains me to say what I'm going to say.

It feels like our legacy is dwindling. You might be asking what legacy I'm referring to. It's the legacy that we were a franchise that could match talking points with the 49ers and Steelers. The Steelers passed us years ago, and that was a blow to our legacy over them. Now, the 49ers are threatening again (lost their two previous attempts) to pass us. Meanwhile, Kansas City, should they win, will be at 4 and beginning to threaten our 5. I think I'm forced to (and will) pull for Kansas City to try to protect our 5 and being level with SFO, but I'm really hoping the 49ers don't have 3rd time's the charm to pass us. It feels like it'd shred what's left of the Cowboys legacy if they do the unthinkable this year. Maybe I'm off base, but it's just how I feel about this matchup. I don't know if any of you feel a similar sentiment to me.

Plus, I'm not sure how Jerry would respond. He didn't do much when Pittsburgh passed us. Will he respond if SFO does? He hasn't done much with how they've beaten us in our 3 previous encounters. I sense that them winning would probably hurt Jimmy a lot because it feels like it'd undo a bit of what he built in the early 90s. Will it hurt Jerry the same?

I suppose, and this is just me feeling my sentiments that I feel like sharing here on this forum, maybe it can cause some last bit of healing between Jerry and Jimmy? If SFO does the unthinkable, could it cause Jerry to turn to Jimmy for advice? Can Jimmy become somewhat of a GM? He seems to like McCarthy. Maybe Jimmy can be a helping hand for Jerry? Will Jerry respond at all if SFO does the unthinkable? All I know, from the time I realised that the Cowboys were likely playing the Packers in the playoffs, this has become one of the most painful seasons as a Cowboys fan for me. The 49ers winning this SB would hurt a lot to me. I have absolute disdain for them because of our rivalry with them. I just wish that Jerry had that same disdain.

What do you all think of the current developments? Do any of you feel a similar sentiment? Does our legacy matter to Jerry at all? Sure, he wins in Forbes. But this should be a matter of pride in what he's built. He probably doesn't have long to live. Is he now going to watch the very team he tried to beat after the 80s ruin what's left of his legacy? Could this force a change?
I've just decided I'm not going to worry about how many Super Bowls other teams have. The Cowboys aren't going to win another one as long as Jerry is in charge. Jerry has shown he just can't resist meddling. We'll be an iron pyrite team until he retires or dies. In case someone's not familiar with that, it's commonly known as "fool's gold." In some seasons, they'll stink up the place. In other season's they'll look really good in the regular season and then lay an egg in then playoffs. At best, the Cowboys can look bright and shiny, only to be exposed as frauds in the playoffs. Any of the teams that made the conference championship game would have cleaned the Cowboys' clock. I want Jerry to decide to retire and spend whatever years he has left with his family, but I'm not holding my breath for him to do that.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know I'm 31, so I probably don't know as much about the Cowboys legacy as many of you. I was around for the Cowboys SBs in the 90s, but I was too little for the sport at the time. That said, this has been a rough season for me as a Cowboys fan. I'm always going to be a Cowboys fan, and it pains me to say what I'm going to say.

It feels like our legacy is dwindling. You might be asking what legacy I'm referring to. It's the legacy that we were a franchise that could match talking points with the 49ers and Steelers. The Steelers passed us years ago, and that was a blow to our legacy over them. Now, the 49ers are threatening again (lost their two previous attempts) to pass us. Meanwhile, Kansas City, should they win, will be at 4 and beginning to threaten our 5. I think I'm forced to (and will) pull for Kansas City to try to protect our 5 and being level with SFO, but I'm really hoping the 49ers don't have 3rd time's the charm to pass us. It feels like it'd shred what's left of the Cowboys legacy if they do the unthinkable this year. Maybe I'm off base, but it's just how I feel about this matchup. I don't know if any of you feel a similar sentiment to me.

Plus, I'm not sure how Jerry would respond. He didn't do much when Pittsburgh passed us. Will he respond if SFO does? He hasn't done much with how they've beaten us in our 3 previous encounters. I sense that them winning would probably hurt Jimmy a lot because it feels like it'd undo a bit of what he built in the early 90s. Will it hurt Jerry the same?

I suppose, and this is just me feeling my sentiments that I feel like sharing here on this forum, maybe it can cause some last bit of healing between Jerry and Jimmy? If SFO does the unthinkable, could it cause Jerry to turn to Jimmy for advice? Can Jimmy become somewhat of a GM? He seems to like McCarthy. Maybe Jimmy can be a helping hand for Jerry? Will Jerry respond at all if SFO does the unthinkable? All I know, from the time I realised that the Cowboys were likely playing the Packers in the playoffs, this has become one of the most painful seasons as a Cowboys fan for me. The 49ers winning this SB would hurt a lot to me. I have absolute disdain for them because of our rivalry with them. I just wish that Jerry had that same disdain.

What do you all think of the current developments? Do any of you feel a similar sentiment? Does our legacy matter to Jerry at all? Sure, he wins in Forbes. But this should be a matter of pride in what he's built. He probably doesn't have long to live. Is he now going to watch the very team he tried to beat after the 80s ruin what's left of his legacy? Could this force a change?
I get where you are coming from. It would be good to celebrate a real champion again. No matter what happens, I have the memory of our legendary players and their feats. No one can take that away from me and my fellow fans from the days of yore. I hope you get to experience that.
For what it's worth, legacy is a journey, not a destination.

chuck520

Reaction score
Context of that is sensationalistic. Choking compared to what? What is the average?

chuck520

Reaction score
Oh Jerry wants to win. He's just not willing to make serious changes and risk losing the revenue that a bad season would bring.

He prefers throwing more spices into the pot every year hoping that fixes the stale meal even though it has not worked in 28 years.

When you think about it, it really is no surprise the team's players care more about their money and stats than they do winning Super Bowls because it seems team ownership does as well.
What if he made the changes you want him to make and still failed? Would that be a success in your eyes or more failure?
Wanting to win and not winning does mean you dont care or you are incompetent. The other guy might be better. Or is that impossible?

chuck520

Reaction score
The 90's were nice but the Cowboy legacy was the 1970's. For 10 years we were a team that any year we were not playing in the superbowl was considered a poor season. 5 superbowl appearances in 10 years. The Cowboys were expected to be the best in the NFL during that time, not just there to put on a good show like today. Jerry Jones took this franchise from a winning football team to a circus side show.
Jerry took a team that was falling apart and won 3 Super Bowls, interesting how we cant agree on what really happened.

chuck520

Reaction score
we are America's Joke. Chokers, jokes it doesn't matter that is what they are.
Chokers compared to what? every year 31 teams "choke" so what are we chokers compared to? Our own history? Vs' other teams? Is this only the current drought? All time?

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Chokers compared to what? every year 31 teams "choke" so what are we chokers compared to? Is this only the current drought? All time?
jerry, or one of his assistants, this team is a joke from the top to the bottom. His main priority is making sure he doesn't mess up his cash cow while trying to win the big his way. He loves the sheep.

chuck520

Reaction score
jerry, or one of his assistants, this team is a joke from the top to the bottom. His main priority is making sure he doesn't mess up his cash cow while trying to win the big his way. He loves the sheep.
How do you prove that?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I've been a Cowboy fan over 50 years, and I I see your point. Frankly I'm surprised the Cowboys are still the most valuable sports franchise, and that they are as popular as they are with people your age who never saw them win anything.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You would think at some point, with the money he has and the valuation of the Cowboys versus what it was when he bought it, that he would go all in at least one time just to see what would happen.
I just keep recalling what Jimmy says about Jerry, (my interpretation) that he has a hard time changing his approach.

deerhunter11

Reaction score
The 90's were nice but the Cowboy legacy was the 1970's. For 10 years we were a team that any year we were not playing in the superbowl was considered a poor season. 5 superbowl appearances in 10 years. The Cowboys were expected to be the best in the NFL during that time, not just there to put on a good show like today. Jerry Jones took this franchise from a winning football team to a circus side show.
You nailed it .I love the cowboys,from way back in 1973.If you would have told me,Dallas would not win a single Super Bowl in 29 years.I would not have believed it.When Dallas gets beat in playoff games ,anymore I am just numb to the losses.When I used to get mad.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What if he made the changes you want him to make and still failed? Would that be a success in your eyes or more failure?
Wanting to win and not winning does mean you dont care or you are incompetent. The other guy might be better. Or is that impossible?
While everyone outside the organization has their own opinions on how to fix or at least improve things, I am not promoting or even referencing any specific changes with my observations.

They have little incentive to take any risks and that is the main crux of their strategy because they are quite content with the 80% level. In fact, they have more incentive to not make any big changes.

Even when they have taken risks over the last 28 years, most of those risks were adding new aspects to the team, not fixing or changing existing things beyond the obligatory coaching change every few years or moving on from aging veterans whose performance no longer matches their salary requirements.

The Cowboys need to make fundamental changes to their core operation, but that requires taking risks which would jeopardize the 80% level, and as a result impact the organization's revenue and valuation.

There are many sports organizations out there with both front office and on-field staffs that have won championships for their organization, yet those organizations realized that at some point it was time to make serious changes.

That is not always because those people being replaced were suddenly bad at their jobs. Sometimes you need fresh minds, fresh eyes and fresh processes to shake things up enough within the organizational core to effect fundamental and substantiated change.

The problem is that the Cowboys only tend to make changes in the same specific areas every so often, and that's the same as trying to cure a sickness by treating the symptoms, but not the cause.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
“Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better.” -Sydney J. Harris
Jerry's MO

Status
Not open for further replies.